Type 2 Dapagliflozin

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Hello. Has anyone taken or is taking the above medication for Type 2. I have been asked to consider it. Atm I take Gliclazide with breakfast and Metformin and Gliclazide with evening meal but ,despite low carbing, my sugars are still above normal. I was told that if I take the above as an add on they would reduce one of my Gliclazide to 1/2 dose to avoid hypos. Is anyone willing to share their experience with Dapagliflozin please before I decide? Many thanks. :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Has anyone taken or is taking the above medication for Type 2. I have been asked to consider it. Atm I take Gliclazide with breakfast and Metformin and Gliclazide with evening meal but ,despite low carbing, my sugars are still above normal. I was told that if I take the above as an add on they would reduce one of my Gliclazide to 1/2 dose to avoid hypos. Is anyone willing to share their experience with Dapagliflozin please before I decide? Many thanks. :)

Hi @dogslife,

Can't really help with personal experience.

However, there have been some reports that low carb and SGLT2-inhibitors (i.e. flozins) might not be an ideal combination as this may be associated with euglycemic ketoacidosis (ketoacidosis with normal blood sugar levels). Moreover, due to the low blood sugar levels, some HCPs might not even recognize this danger as they usually associate ketoacidosis with high blood sugar levels). Here's a link to an article https://asweetlife.org/a-low-carb-diet-and-sglt2-inhibitors-can-be-dangerous-together/. There is plenty of other info out there if you google this.

Last edited:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @dogslife,

Can't really help with personal experience.

However, there have been some reports that low carb and SGLT2-inhibitors (i.e. flozins) might not be an ideal combination as this may be associated with euglycemic ketoacidosis (ketoacidosis with normal blood sugar levels). Moreover, due to the low blood sugar levels, some HCPs might not even recognize this danger as they usually associate ketoacidosis with high blood sugar levels). Here's a link to an article https://asweetlife.org/a-low-carb-diet-and-sglt2-inhibitors-can-be-dangerous-together/. There is plenty of other info out there if you google this.
Many thanks for your quick reply@ziggy. I will certainly follow it up before making my decision.:)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I take it alongside metformin and bydureon. It was needed as I was very close to being moved to insulin. (This was before I found out low carb is a better approach) It has pulled my bloods down but does mean I am thirstier than normal and I do need to go to the toilet more. I also started to lose weight faster

however... I did get, to be blunt, a severe case of thrush and that’s a well know side effect. But that (fingers crossed) was a one off side-effect but might be worth getting the treatment in advance from the chemist.

I also did get a warning letter from the doctor though, but can’t find it... I think it was to do with ketoacidosis

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I take it alongside metformin and bydureon. It was needed as I was very close to being moved to insulin. (This was before I found out low carb is a better approach) It has pulled my bloods down but does mean I am thirstier than normal and I do need to go to the toilet more. I also started to lose weight faster

however... I did get, to be blunt, a severe case of thrush and that’s a well know side effect. But that (fingers crossed) was a one off side-effect but might be worth getting the treatment in advance from the chemist.

I also did get a warning letter from the doctor though, but can’t find it... I think it was to do with ketoacidosis
I had a warning text from Dr to stop taking any meds ending with flozin if I suspect I have COVID. Here is the actual text I got......
During the Coronavirus pandemic, if you become unwell or have a fever you should stop your diabetes medication which ends in 'flozin' (dapagliflozin, empagliflozin, canagliflozin, ertugliflozin). See link for more information about your diabetes and illness

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Thank you@Andydragon for your informative response. I have been told about the side effect of thrush although it is apparently worse when bloods are higher than mine ( i.e around 20) . My levels are only just above normal but are staying there despite low carbing. No mention was made about ketoacidosis but I have read about it on line. A bit of weight loss would be a good thing in my case as Gliclazide has the opposite effect. When I first started low carbing I had my Gliclazide dose reduced due to hypos but it is now constantly above normal. The main change is less exercise due to other conditions which I cannot control. Thanks again for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.:)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you@Andydragon for your informative response. I have been told about the side effect of thrush although it is apparently worse when bloods are higher than mine ( i.e around 20) . My levels are only just above normal but are staying there despite low carbing. No mention was made about ketoacidosis but I have read about it on line. A bit of weight loss would be a good thing in my case as Gliclazide has the opposite effect. When I first started low carbing I had my Gliclazide dose reduced due to hypos but it is now constantly above normal. The main change is less exercise due to other conditions which I cannot control. Thanks again for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.:)
It was a bit embarrassing but best to be honest I find. My experience is that within a week I got the side effect, but as I said, took the treatment and it cleared and (fingers crossed) no repeat. Have been on them for about 3 months and to be blunt, would rather have that then high bloods in the current situation

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
I have been taking dapagliflozin for 3 and a half years now, and more recently gliclazide was added. I have had no major side effects, other than occasional bouts of thrush. It is true you do need to drink more water which helps.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have been taking dapagliflozin for 3 and a half years now, and more recently gliclazide was added. I have had no major side effects, other than occasional bouts of thrush. It is true you do need to drink more water which helps.
Thank you@julie56. That's good to know. I don't really like the thought of taking yet another new medication as I have to take various ones for other conditions too but after 15 years of having diabetes I have reached a point where I don't seem to be able to control my levels as I'd like to anymore. It's very helpful to hear other's experiences.:)

Reactions: julie56