Hi all

Hi once again,
I have been diagnosed recently with Diabetes 1 and I don't know what to do next. I think my life is over. It turned my life ups side down.
I used to lead a healthy lifestyle with a lot of sport and balanced diet. How I could get ill? I don't understand.
Guys how you overcome the first months after finding out you are ill?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
The cause of T1 is a bit of an unknown, genetics plays a part, stress and some random virus may do too, but there's broad agreement that lifestyle has nothing to do with it, it's very much a luck of the draw disease.

The good news that after 100 years the treatment for T1 diabetes has improved dramatically. I've been T1 for 50 years (first 13 pre glucometer) and am aiming to have another 20 in good health (my T1 mother got to 78 and would have lived longer if she had not smoked for 50 years) but the outlook for young T1s is really good (maybe even the cure that they've been promising in the next ten years for my entire T1 life).

It's not an easy condition, you have to keep monitoring and injecting (or get a pump) but once you get the hang of it there is very little that it stops you doing (army and astronauts are out though). No need to give up sport, it will keep you healthy, just get used to keeping glucose tablets (or equivalent) nearby to counteract any hypos.

It's a hard adjustment to make but your life is by no means over. Just as an asthmatic has to carry an inhaler, you have to carry glucose tablets (and insulin and a glucometer). There's a steep learning curve, but once you've gone through it your diabetes should fade into the background. Diabetes only makes me ill if I don't get my insulin dose right, normally I am fine.

I expect some younger T1s will post soon, you are never alone on these forums.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi once again,
I have been diagnosed recently with Diabetes 1 and I don't know what to do next. I think my life is over. It turned my life ups side down.
I used to lead a healthy lifestyle with a lot of sport and balanced diet. How I could get ill? I don't understand.

Hi there, well I would say you are not ill first of all, you have a body that has a part that doesn't work. Nothing to do with your healthy lifestyle or sport (although keeping that up helps enormously). I know it sounds cliched but you WILL learn to live with it and you WILL adjust. It's a bit like a bereavement at the moment, you need time to get over the shock first. You've got off to a good start by finding this site that's for sure. Take a deep breath and read all you can, the treatment for type 1 has changed a lot over the years and you (being young) will hopefully have access to every tool that makes it more manageable. xx

Perminder1

I got diagnosed with T2 in March 20 felt and sometimes still feel same as you I think you have to appreciate you have a condition if you think of it as somthing your body does not mange some diet stuff very well it becomes easier to come to terms with here if you ever need a chat

Reactions: Todd1974

Babsi

Hi once again,
Hello, I'm very similar to yourself, overwhelmed with information, I'm reading so much stuff and don't think I'm taking any of it in.