New to this

Kt043kt

Hi I'm type 2, I am trying to get control of my blood sugars, I'm rather confused as I get conflicting Information from the diabetes nurse and the dietician, I'm pretty sick of them both, someone mentioned the keto, I'm looking for advice, when buying cooking sauces, I need to look at the carbs, what number am I looking for, I guess it has to be under a certain amount

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was advised no more than 10g per 100g. Not by a dietician but low carbers who lost weight and gained great control. Some became remission cases.
Do you think you could check all your purchases for less than 10grams?
Meals with high protein work brilliantly for me. Not advisable if any current kidney disease.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Warm welcome to the forum.
Look at the carb content on the panel at the back of packaging, then "of which are sugers." If the of which sugars are snapping at the heels of the carbs? It may not do you no favours.. (Nor could any of the non fast acting carb content?)

Are you prescribed any medication for your diabetes.?

What else do you generally eat in your diet?

Do you have a blood test meter? Sorry, have to ask, so we know where you are...

I'm no real Delia Smith. (But i'ave a go.) But will tag in @DCUKMod @Brunneria @Goonergal

Reactions: ickihun

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm type 2, I am trying to get control of my blood sugars, I'm rather confused as I get conflicting Information from the diabetes nurse and the dietician, I'm pretty sick of them both, someone mentioned the keto, I'm looking for advice, when buying cooking sauces, I need to look at the carbs, what number am I looking for, I guess it has to be under a certain amount
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- this might be of some use. How you cut carbs is entirely up to you, if you want to try it. Keto is certainly one option, meaning 20 grams of carbs a day or less, generally speaking. (I love it and have been doing it for about 2 years now, I think). Others prefer to go for less drastic measures and stick with maybe 40 grams, or 60, or... Eating to your meter is an option, to figure out what amount of carbs agrees with you. Test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If you go up no more, or less than 2.0 mmol/l, that meal was perfect for you and your body could respond to it properly. If it's over 2.0 mmol/l? Too many carbs in there for you to process.

All in all, not one of us is the same as the other. Levels of insulin resistance and (over-)production vary, so... You'll want to figure out a diet that first you specifically. A meter'll help you do just that.

Good luck!
Jo

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kt043kt and welcome to the forum

Thanks @Jaylee for the tag.

I’m not the best person to advise on cooking sauces as I don’t really use them, but if I were to do so, I’d make my own so that I could be sure of exactly what was in them. However they can be a time saver and as a general rule on keto, for anything pre-packaged I’d be looking for a carb content of no more than 10/100g (total carbs, not ‘of which sugars’) as an absolute maximum and ideally 5g/100g or less, unless I was only going to be using a tiny amount of it.

If you’re looking for recipes and inspiration I’d recommend the dietdoctor.com website

Kt043kt

Hi @Kt043kt and welcome to the forum

Thanks @Jaylee for the tag.

I’m not the best person to advise on cooking sauces as I don’t really use them, but if I were to do so, I’d make my own so that I could be sure of exactly what was in them. However they can be a time saver and as a general rule on keto, for anything pre-packaged I’d be looking for a carb content of no more than 10/100g (total carbs, not ‘of which sugars’) as an absolute maximum and ideally 5g/100g or less, unless I was only going to be using a tiny amount of it.

If you’re looking for recipes and inspiration I’d recommend the dietdoctor.com website

Hi thanks for your reply, was after quickness, I have a 18 month old, so was after a quick fix for myself, at least I have some idea, what I'm looking for, and I will check out those recipes, thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for your reply, was after quickness, I have a 18 month old, so was after a quick fix for myself, at least I have some idea, what I'm looking for, and I will check out those recipes, thank you so much

Changing your diet is quick, as in, you'll see fast results, if that's what you mean. Especially with a little one to consider, and wanting to be around and healthy for a long time for them, a low carb diet's the best way to go. Less chances of complications in the long run and all. Good luck!
Jo

PS: if you meant quick meals: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/quick