Keto breakfast

Rottielover

Hi

I am on the keto diet and i am doing good on it. I have 10 stone to loose and I've already lost 5st and am still loosing between 2-3 pounds a week on keto.

Just wanted to check i have enough fats in my breakfast. I have 3 slices of streaky unsmoked bacon, 1 cup of kale, 1\2 a pack of mushrooms ans 2 fried eggs. Fried in coconut oil. I then sprinkle on walnut oil over my kale.
Is this a correct keto breakfast. I have it 6 days a week as i like routine due to my OCD and dont like having different meals in the morning. I get variety the rest of the week in my main meals.

Is there enough fat since i know keto is based on good fats.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks great.
Although personally I'd avoid the kale but if you like it then..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather than worry about whether is it keto, or not, I would focus on whether you are happy eating that breakfast.

Does it suit you?
Do you have sufficient energy levels?
Are your blood glucose levels how you would like them, while eating that breakfast?
Is it sustaining your weight loss? (looks like it is! 5 stone loss is magnificient)
Are you bored with it and want to change for that reason?

When we are losing weight on a keto diet it is because we are using up our body fat as fuel. The more fat we eat, the less we pull from our fat stores, and so the less weight we are likely to lose. Obviously, different people have different bodies, metabolisms, appetites and carb tolerances, but you seem to have found something that is working well for you.

Unless you are bored, and want to change your breakfast, why mess with a winning combination?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in ketosis due to low intake of carbohydrate then you should keep going as you are doing.
I'd be a bit wary of labelled diets - of dictated amounts or percentages.
There is no need to buy expensive oils or count the rashers of bacon or the eggs for that matter - I appreciate that you might find it easier, but there is no magic formula, just stick to low carb and you should be absolutely fine.

Rottielover

Thanks all. I've eaten this breakfast for the past year and there are 2 issues im facing with it.

1) it has never filled me up and i just try to ignore the hunger but after 2hrs im hungry again
I've tried drinking 2 glasses of water but it is hunger. I've tried to ignore it but i just would like to have something that will fill me up. But im not sure what to have. I dont like omelettes i just have never liked egg that way.

2) i am bored of it. I would like something else. I was thinking greek yogurt but thought no as once ive added berries ect it will no longer be low carb.

Rottielover

Rather than worry about whether is it keto, or not, I would focus on whether you are happy eating that breakfast.

Does it suit you?
Do you have sufficient energy levels?
Are your blood glucose levels how you would like them, while eating that breakfast?
Is it sustaining your weight loss? (looks like it is! 5 stone loss is magnificient)
Are you bored with it and want to change for that reason?

When we are losing weight on a keto diet it is because we are using up our body fat as fuel. The more fat we eat, the less we pull from our fat stores, and so the less weight we are likely to lose. Obviously, different people have different bodies, metabolisms, appetites and carb tolerances, but you seem to have found something that is working well for you.

Unless you are bored, and want to change your breakfast, why mess with a winning combination?
I did not know that eating lots of fat on keto could slow our weight loss. I thought we had to eat lots of good fats on keto?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did not know that eating lots of fat on keto could slow our weight loss. I thought we had to eat lots of good fats on keto?
The main thing on keto, is the cutting of carbs. The fats are just there to make sure you get your nutrients and feel full, so if you're okay there, you don't have to add any more in. It's not an eat-as-much-fat-as-you-can-possibly-stand-without-needing-to-puke, it's more a matter of eating enough of it, but not too much. And if you like avocado's, add them in. If you don't, don't. ;)

Rottielover

The main thing on keto, is the cutting of carbs. The fats are just there to make sure you get your nutrients and feel full, so if you're okay there, you don't have to add any more in. It's not an eat-as-much-fat-as-you-can-possibly-stand-without-needing-to-puke, it's more a matter of eating enough of it, but not too much. And if you like avocado's, add them in. If you don't, don't. ;)
Thanks

I think I'll add avocardo as i do like them. I swap them for the kale as im not fond on kale. I mainly have either meat or fish for my dinner with veg low carb veg like broccoli, green beans, cabbage, cauliflower ect. And make a homade sauce from double cream, mushrooms and cheese.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

I think I'll add avocardo as i do like them. I swap them for the kale as im not fond on kale. I mainly have either meat or fish for my dinner with veg low carb veg like broccoli, green beans, cabbage, cauliflower ect. And make a homade sauce from double cream, mushrooms and cheese.
...any chance of you coming over to the Netherlands and making me some of that? All sounds good. (And yeah, avocado's are indeed better to have than kale, if you don't actually like kale! Yuck. ;))

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
My favourite breakfast at the moment is fried egg and / or halloumi with a big heap of garlicky, buttery spinach, some mushrooms and a couple of baby plum tomatoes. I like kale but not early in the morning! Your weight loss so far has been fantastic but avoiding boredom and hunger is important going forward. I wrote myself a list of possible breakfasts and stuck it on the fridge so that I did not have to think in the morning -not my forte!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget proteins are important as well as fats and they can be veg protein if you prefer. BTW berries are fairly low carb so they are generally OK for us to eat.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry over whether a food or meal is "correct Keto" or not - youjust need to be aware of the carbs and fats in any foods you're eating to manage your glucose levels and weight. "Keto" is simply a currently popular name for a ketogenic diet,and all you're doing is eating a very low carbohydrate diet which as a by-product of using fat as a fuel source also produces ketones which are excellent fuel for our brains. Any suitable LCHF food is fine for any meal!

Regarding fat - we get our fat from two sources - diet, and stored body fat. If we need/want to lose some weight then we need to eat a bit less fat and let our body use some of the stored stuff instead.

Last edited: