Type 1 and Levothyroxine - need more insulin?

Marta_fb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I've been type 1 for more than 20 years and I've been recently prescribed Levothyroxine to control hypothyroidism.
My endo said I've borderline hypothyroidism (levels of hormones at the edge and no antibodies), but because I want to get pregnant, she suggested to start on levothyroxine.
I've been on it for 4 month or so, and my insulin requirements have increased quite a lot - has anybody else experienced the same?

I know with lockdown all is haywire but I've been trying to do the same amount of exercise and eat same food...so I can't explain why the increase of insulin needs...

Thanks!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi and welcome Marta :)

I can only speak from experience as I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 7 years ago now, mine was quite far gone when I needed levothyroxine so I was gaining weight, mental ability was about as good as a slug in quicksand, it took me about 3--4 months to get my dose settled in and to start feeling human again, I don't recall any great changes in my insulin requirements during this time, others may have a different experience.

Insulin needs can and do change with the weather, change in activity/stress/hormonal levels etc etc, as long as you're ok monitoring and responding accordingly with your insulin changes.

Hopefully it's not too much of an issue ?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I started on levothyroxine earlier this year and have found that it increases my BG by up to 4mmol when I take it, but when I pre-bolus for my breakfast I add an extra unit for the levothyroxine and that usually sorts it out by the time I'm ready for my breakfast.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Marta_fb - if your thyroid is a bit off kilter it will have, over time, altered your metabolism a bit. I'm not T1, and I can't say that my bloods changed markedly when I started levothyroxine.

I see you take it in the morning. Have you been advised to take your Levo about 45-60 minutes before you eat or drink, and certainly at least that amount of time away from anything milky?

It may take you a wee while to get your dosing about right.

Good luck with it all.

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I've been type 1 for more than 20 years and I've been recently prescribed Levothyroxine to control hypothyroidism.
My endo said I've borderline hypothyroidism (levels of hormones at the edge and no antibodies), but because I want to get pregnant, she suggested to start on levothyroxine.
I've been on it for 4 month or so, and my insulin requirements have increased quite a lot - has anybody else experienced the same?

I know with lockdown all is haywire but I've been trying to do the same amount of exercise and eat same food...so I can't explain why the increase of insulin needs...

Thanks!
Hi I was diagnosed 3.5 yrs ago and though not initially on Insulin within six months was put on levothyroxine and then went on to insulin 1.5 yrs ago slow releasing and recently six weeks ago had a fast releasing added to the mix and have put this down to my pancreas becoming tired not to my under active thyroid never really given it any thought as my levels kept going high every couple of months and thus put in down to my pancreas

Marta_fb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Marta_fb - if your thyroid is a bit off kilter it will have, over time, altered your metabolism a bit. I'm not T1, and I can't say that my bloods changed markedly when I started levothyroxine.

I see you take it in the morning. Have you been advised to take your Levo about 45-60 minutes before you eat or drink, and certainly at least that amount of time away from anything milky?

It may take you a wee while to get your dosing about right.

Good luck with it all.
No one told me about the time before eating and I usually take it with my latte. I see I'm doing everything wrong!
Thanks!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No one told me about the time before eating and I usually take it with my latte. I see I'm doing everything wrong!
Thanks!

To be honest, my doctor didn't tell me either. I learned it from other people living with hypothyroidism.

Personally, I almost always rouse around 4am, so I take it then. It's such a small tablet (although I also take another now to), I find I don't need a glass of water or anything.

If you want to learn "stuff" about hypothyroidism, and getting to grips with it, I would suggest https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk . I learned a huge amount there.

Here's what the NHS say on it: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/levoth...levothyroxine once a day,doesn't work as well.