Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Husband BS just now 14.8

Food today:
2 toasted diet doctor Keto rolls
Peanut butter

Egg salad lettuce tomato cucumber 2small jersey royals mayonnaise

That seems mega gig for a reasonable low carb intake or please educate me otherwise!!

Thank you!
Tracey

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I wouldn't eat potatoes. Do you know what he was before he ate? Did you retest?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Too many carbs.. spuds, fake bread and whats in the mayo?
Peanut butter might be a culprit too.. legumes not being good.

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long story short hba1c 81 .... he told me it was 43 so I got a copy of his last results (43 .....that’s the target not what you are.!) so went to chemist bought testing strips.....

So Saturday it was 21
Yesterday 10.8
Today ate as above and back to 14
He has deviated from that so I am confused? Any help v appreciated

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Too many carbs.. spuds, fake bread and whats in the mayo?
Peanut butter might be a culprit too.. legumes not being good.

We are vegetarian? The bread is with almond flour the Keto gets on so v low carb?

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ethics yes and 30 years of same so sadly that won’t change- I know of meat eaters it would be easier but he won’t change that now

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you able to calculate the total carbs for each meal?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a vegetarian sub forum, you might get some ideas. Can you eat eggs and cheese?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Duffysmum - If your husband's blood glucose has been elevated for a while, it can take a few days to see a lot of difference. His body will be trying to keep the blood numbers up, as that been his "normal" for a while to have that HbA1c score.

Stick with the low carb. It is possible to go low carb as veggies, but please keep an eye on your vitamin levels,to ensure they're staying in the correct zones.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband BS just now 14.8

Food today:
Peanut butter

That seems mega gig for a reasonable low carb intake or please educate me otherwise!!

Thank you!
Tracey
what times are you testing him, and how often? Low carb is perfectly do-able as a vegetarian. It can take days, or even weeks to achieve normal stable blood sugar levels.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband BS just now 14.8

Food today:
Peanut butter

Thank you!
Tracey
I see from your profile that your husband is on 3 x Gliclazide. This can cause Hypoglycemia with a low carb diet. Please be careful at this point, and get medical advice on tapering him off while moving to lower carbing.

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see from your profile that your husband is on 3 x Gliclazide. This can cause Hypoglycemia with a low carb diet. Please be careful at this point, and get medical advice on tapering him off while moving to lower carbing.

Oops
It’s actually 4 gliclazide.. but with blood levels in the 14 we are away from a hypo aren’t we or am I being naive?

Thank you for all your replies so basically keep
Low Carb and keep testing and see hopefully an improvement in the next week or so? Should it be same time every day?

Reactions: Buzzer81

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Duffysmum, hope you don't mind me asking but does your husband do any testing himself or take responsibility for his diabetes? It sounds like you do everything for him which is good of you but allows him to 'leave it all to you' and perhaps not take it seriously (ie by getting his result wrong). Does he go out to work and if so do you know whether he sticks to the regime? It's difficult living with someone with diabetes but personally I think there's a massive difference in helping someone and them not helping themselves when it's THEIR condition. Can you tell us what he thinks about it all? x

Reactions: MrsA2 and HSSS

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Duffysmum, hope you don't mind me asking but does your husband do any testing himself or take responsibility for his diabetes? It sounds like you do everything for him which is good of you but allows him to 'leave it all to you' and perhaps not take it seriously (ie by getting his result wrong). Does he go out to work and if so do you know whether he sticks to the regime? It's difficult living with someone with diabetes but personally I think there's a massive difference in helping someone and them not helping themselves when it's THEIR condition. Can you tell us what he thinks about it all? x

I do the food shopping - I do the cooking - and no he doesn’t go to work and eat ten pasties a day washed down with chips - I appreciate your point of view but I want to understand all this and hope you don’t mind but I was asking about BG levels not relationship advice.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do the food shopping - I do the cooking - and no he doesn’t go to work and eat ten pasties a day washed down with chips - I appreciate your point of view but I want to understand all this and hope you don’t mind but I was asking about BG levels not relationship advice.

Hi Duffy, my apologies if I have upset you and I most certainly do not think anyone with diabetes must therefore be eating ten pasties a day. You are quite right, your relationship, your choice. Once again I am sorry for posting. x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the point being made was ultimately no matter how well you get understand it is your husband who has to be willing to take the actions you learn about and the responsibility. You can lead a horse to water and all that. We’ve seen partners come in here confused and it turns out to be just as you confirm it’s not in this case (sneaking off for carby food unseen) and that is the explanation. That all said a supportive and understanding partner, especially they do the cooking is a godsend and many of us would thoroughly appreciate the concern you offer.

Have the levels dropped in the last couple of days? 21 was very high and if that was normal then it might take a while for the low carb, if it’s a new, to show the full change and get down to good levels - but low teens is the right direction and hopefully will continue. Think of it as his body is like a sponge and has been drenched in sugar. It takes a while for it all to deep out even if little more gets added in

Reactions: KK123

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the point being made was ultimately no matter how well you get understand it is your husband who has to be willing to take the actions you learn about and the responsibility. You can lead a horse to water and all that. We’ve seen partners come in here confused and it turns out to be just as you confirm it’s not in this case (sneaking off for carby food unseen) and that is the explanation. That all said a supportive and understanding partner, especially they do the cooking is a godsend and many of us would thoroughly appreciate the concern you offer.

Have the levels dropped in the last couple of days? 21 was very high and if that was normal then it might take a while for the low carb, if it’s a new, to show the full change and get down to good levels - but low teens is the right direction and hopefully will continue. Think of it as his body is like a sponge and has been drenched in sugar. It takes a while for it all to deep out even if little more gets added in

I think I need guidance on when to test. I think my OH finds it too hard to deal with so sticks his head in the sand just handing over a finger to be tested when requested. Please don’t judge we all have our ways of (not) dealing with things.

Any advice on say a twice a day testing point would be useful. I am sure pre and post everything eaten would be great but not practical just now ... one step at a time please!

Cheers

Reactions: Todd1974

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I need guidance on when to test. I think my OH finds it too hard to deal with so sticks his head in the sand just handing over a finger to be tested when requested. Please don’t judge we all have our ways of (not) dealing with things.

Any advice on say a twice a day testing point would be useful. I am sure pre and post everything eaten would be great but not practical just now ... one step at a time please!

Cheers
Not judging, just observing there’s only so much you can do. But perhaps that will slowly and gently nudge him into being more proactive. Fingers crossed.
Testing right now, if limited needs to encompass before and after a meal. Morning fasting won’t teach you anywhere near as much. So pick what you think is the meal most needing to be addressed test immediately before eating and again 2 hrs later. If it’s gone up by more than 2mmol it’s too much and the meal needs changing. There are nuances to this but this is the starting point. Ideally the closer to matching the before figure the better it was. This might prove eye opening to your hubby. It is said anything g about 7.8 can contribute to the slow long term damage. That might be a way off being achieved in the short term but it is a goal to aim for.

Also if testing is an issue make sure you are doing it in the most pain free way possible. Warm, clean, dry finger. Before pricking massage from palm to tip a few times. Use the lowest setting on your device to get the necessary amount of blood. Prick the edges of the fingertip, not the very top or mid pad. Some fingers are better than others at bleeding. Let it rest a moment after pricking and if no blood a gentle squeeze from the base of the finger upwards. Rotate sites allowing them to heal between rather than stick to one favourite.

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not judging, just observing there’s only so much you can do. But perhaps that will slowly and gently nudge him into being more proactive. Fingers crossed.
Testing right now, if limited needs to encompass before and after a meal. Morning fasting won’t teach you anywhere near as much. So pick what you think is the meal most needing to be addressed test immediately before eating and again 2 hrs later. If it’s gone up by more than 2mmol it’s too much and the meal needs changing. There are nuances to this but this is the starting point. Ideally the closer to matching the before figure the better it was. This might prove eye opening to your hubby. It is said anything g about 7.8 can contribute to the slow long term damage. That might be a way off being achieved in the short term but it is a goal to aim for.

Also if testing is an issue make sure you are doing it in the most pain free way possible. Warm, clean, dry finger. Before pricking massage from palm to tip a few times. Use the lowest setting on your device to get the necessary amount of blood. Prick the edges of the fingertip, not the very top or mid pad. Some fingers are better than others at bleeding. Let it rest a moment after pricking and if no blood a gentle squeeze from the base of the finger upwards. Rotate sites allowing them to heal between rather than stick to one favourite.

That’s great thank you especially the tips on finger pricking ... it’s been on max and in the middle of the pad . Every day is a school day.... great I have my starting point ... thanks everyone who responded