Budesonide Steroids for Autoimmune Hepatitis

Mrs_Sycamore

Hello, my husband who is T1D has recently been diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis. He has been asked to take Budesonide steroids 3 times a day. His sugar levels didn't seem too bad at first, but he has recently been asked to increase the dose. Now his sugars are going through the roof and he is feeling very down and depressed. He is taking a huge increase in insulin from his pump and increased his background insulin, but it isn't effective. His medical team are not very forthcoming with help, so I wondered if we could find anyone else who has had experience with this condition/medication who may be able to give us some encouraging words of wisdom? Very much looking forward to hearing back, best wishes to all you brave, brave people xx

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mrs Sycamore. I have been on Budesonide a few times as part of treatment for colitis. Most recently I was on 9mg a day for three months. It did raise my BG but not drastically. I am also on prednisoline which has had much more effect on my BG.

Hope things improve for your husband soon

Mrs_Sycamore

Thanks for your reply h884. It's reassuring to know that Budesonide isn't guaranteed to raise blood sugars significantly- perhaps it will settle down? Also, thanks for the heads up about the other medication. The doctor did mention some alternatives but warned that they were likely to be worse.

Petra4.4

Hi I have type 1. and autoimune hepatatis for 18 years and when i was on steroids especially prednisoline my BG would be trough the roof... Actually I am on steroids right now cause my immune system is acting up again but for almost 10 years in wich i was on immunosuppressants i had no problem with my BG :)

Mrs_Sycamore

Hi I have type 1. and autoimune hepatatis for 18 years and when i was on steroids especially prednisoline my BG would be trough the roof... Actually I am on steroids right now cause my immune system is acting up again but for almost 10 years in wich i was on immunosuppressants i had no problem with my BG :)
Thanks Petra, it's good to hear from you. Do you find that if you forget to take a steroid, or take it late it affects bg too? It is so hard to see patterns in my husband's bg levels at the moment - hard to know how to help

Reactions: Petra4.4

Petra4.4

Thanks Petra, it's good to hear from you. Do you find that if you forget to take a steroid, or take it late it affects bg too? It is so hard to see patterns in my husband's bg levels at the moment - hard to know how to help
No for me it doesn't matter when I take it. The common pattern should be that around lunch and afternoon it supposed to be the worst because that's when are the steroids most active. Then around 5-6ish pm is should starting to get down but for example my body go trough so much sock that it can't get down from the high until next morgning or so. I am sorry to say there isn't much you can do to make it better. The best solution is to get rid of steroids as soon as possible. :/ So you need to support his liver in regeneration. Rly good herb for liver is silybum marianum or milk thistle as google told me is correct term in english. Also eating light food, no strenuous activity walks are most prefferd. Also i would ask your doctor if a switch to immunosuppresants would by possible in his case. They don't have so many negatives as steroids do. Steroids here in my area are used just to treat ongoing inflamation and elevated AST and ALT enzymes. I am rooting for you to overcome this bad patch. Best of luck :)