Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
and just stopped using the prescribed insulin about 3 days ago

and my blood glucose readings have been around 6

so I dont care who tells me I did the wrong thing

:)

anyone ever went against their doctor and had good results?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh yes. Against the endo, 2 dieticians, a couple of nurses and one of two gp's. Can't endorse it on here, officially, but.... Glad it's working out for you! ;)

Reactions: Perminder1

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Oooh yes. Against the endo, 2 dieticians, a couple of nurses and one of two gp's. Can't endorse it on here, officially, but.... Glad it's working out for you! ;)

Great - and you gave me some link which I will read immediately

thank you

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @miss miss,

Of course, it would always be better to have your GP on board when deciding to drop insulin. I understand though that we might not live in a perfect world.

My experience is not quite the same as I was never on insulin.

However, on diagnosis my HbA1c was very high and my GP pooh-poohed my suggestions to use diet and exercise to lower my blood sugars. He said with levels this high, this wouldn't work and I would have no choice but to go onto insulin in three months time.

Still don't know why I didn't give up right there and then, but tried low-carb anyway. My thinking was that it can't hurt and what's left to lose anyway.

Luckily, my blood sugar levels were back to normal (not even prediabetic) levels for the HbA1c and there was no more talk of having to take insulin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buzzer81

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Keep an eye on your BGs and, fingers crossed, they will not start to creep up over the next few days

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Hi @miss miss,

Of course, it would always be better to have your GP on board when deciding to drop insulin. I understand though that we might not live in a perfect world.

My experience is not quite the same as I was never on insulin.

However, on diagnosis my HbA1c was very high and my GP pooh-poohed my suggestions to use diet and exercise to lower my blood sugars. He said with levels this high, this wouldn't work and I would have no choice but to go onto insulin in three months time.

Still don't know why I didn't give up right there and then, but tried low-carb anyway. My thinking that it can't hurt and what's left to lose anyway.

Luckily, my blood sugar levels were back to normal (not even prediabetic) levels for the HbA1c and there was no more talk of having to take insulin.

what a great and inspiring personal story - thank you for sharing

Reactions: ziggy_w

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Keep an eye on your BGs and, fingers crossed, they will not start to creep up over the next few days

will do

so far I have been off insulin for 3 full days and the glucose is around 6 so I am hopeful

Reactions: EllieM

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
will do

so far I have been off insulin for 3 full days and the glucose is around 6 so I am hopeful

Miss miss, I'm pleased for you that a life without insulin is working right now, but please, please do not become lax on your testing regime. That you had ketoacidosis is a concern, and I feel certain you don't want a rerun.

For some people, their pancreas gets a bit of a rest when they take insulin, but whether or not it can maintain those excellent numbers effectively is a matter testing lots, and being mindful over the shorter, medium and likely longer term.

A huge well done to you for getting those numbers. You've obviously put the work in.

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Miss miss, I'm pleased for you that a life without insulin is working right now, but please, please do not become lax on your testing regime. That you had ketoacidosis is a concern, and I feel certain you don't want a rerun.

For some people, their pancreas gets a bit of a rest when they take insulin, but whether or not it can maintain those excellent numbers effectively is a matter testing lots, and being mindful over the shorter, medium and likely longer term.

A huge well done to you for getting those numbers. You've obviously put the work in.

and also unless your readings are low enough I dont recommend that you drop prescription meds. if possible your medical team should advise you .

In my case the medical team was pig headed and not listening to me. the diabetic dietician wanted me on the regular high carb diet even though i told her that i had to eliminate the entire bottom rung of the food pyramid [that we are supposed to have 11 servings from] because those foods were causing me coughing/choking/breathing fits, imagine waking up in the middle of the night gasping for air and not being able to take a lungful of air - all those fits are nicely eliminated if i eat nothing from the bottom rung of the food pyramid and also i have to avoid all nightshades

so the bottom line is - you are an individual and my solution may not be right for you so certainly take note of my solutions but proceed slowly with caution if you want to make changes in your life :)

and a huge thank you to DCUK mods for doing a fantastic job here

M

Member496333

...anyone ever went against their doctor and had good results?

Yes. I was getting sicker and sicker until it dawned on me that my GP is an idiot. For further reading check out Lies My Doctor Told Me by Ken Berry.

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Yes. I was getting sicker and sicker until it dawned on me that my GP is an idiot. For further reading check out Lies My Doctor Told Me by Ken Berry.

we would be forgiven if we started to suspect that most doctors have shares in the insulin making companies

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
will do

Hi to you miss miss how did uou mange to do this i have been trying to come off insulin and use low carb but my levels are 8 and cannot get below how did you mange to do this .

Sparklebrightisright.

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Hi to you miss miss how did uou mange to do this i have been trying to come off insulin and use low carb but my levels are 8 and cannot get below how did you mange to do this .

Sparklebrightisright.

it depends on what you are already doing
it depends if you are making ANY insulin
if you are making none then that is that unfortunately

I started taking lots of supplements
I reduced my carbs to just 10 grams a day
I am walking for 60 minutes a day
I do dumbells 3 times a week

also watch your protein because your naughty liver can make glucose out of protein so I try to eat 70% fat and keep the protein to 27% and 2% carbs

you may be able to change the carbs up a little after you bring your glucose readings down but to start with you need to use up all the stored up sources for your liver to make glucose

so a typical day of food for me is

breakfast
bacon and eggs
30 ml or lactose free full fat milk in a tiny cup of coffee [the cup is for espresso ]

lunch
4 mushrooms
1 pickled cucumber
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 piece of fish
1 wedge of lemon
30 ml of lactose free full fat milk in coffee

dinner
2 raddishes
piece of fish
1 wedge of lemon
1 teaspoon mascarpone cheese