Medtronic Mio Advance

xenomorph2020

Hi all

On my last batch of Medtronic Mio Advance infusion sets I found it impossible to insert a new set.
Every attempt it was quite painful and bled when I removed it.
Normally use lower back so even tried stomach which went in without much pain but then started to pain after 30 mins and again bled after removing.

I called them today and they say could be the sets so they sending replacements.
I have issues like this on and off but usually 2nd try I get it in ok.

Anyone else with similar experience?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @xenomorph2020

It’s unlikely it’s a faulty batch, as you can insert them, it’s how your body is reacting to them. The mio sets are Teflon which can cause a reaction in some users, I had a bad reaction to them so switched to steel tip sets - sure t’s. See if your nurse can send you some different sets to try, it is trial and error getting a set which suits you.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Mio Advance is relatively new and is new to me (on 3rd set). I’m finding them much easier so far when compared with Quick-sets.
I agree that it’s unlikely to be a faulty batch. Were you using infusion sets prior to Mio Advance? If so, how did they compare?

xenomorph2020

So I been using Mio Advance before this only happened to this recent delivery.
Before Mio advance I was using Mio and no issues with bleeding or pain there but my issue with Mio was the way you remove the inserter needle. Most times it pulled the whole infusion set off!
Before the Medtronic I was using AccuChek teflon infusion sets so its not the teflon.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have been on the Advance for the last 6 months. Not had any issues with them as yet

xenomorph2020

I have been on the Advance for the last 6 months. Not had any issues with them as yet

Where do you mostly use them? Stomach?
Also how do you hold them when inserting? I generally have fingers around the bottom of the inserter and then press the top.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Where do you mostly use them? Stomach?
Also how do you hold them when inserting? I generally have fingers around the bottom of the inserter and then press the top.

Stomach and legs. I use one hand - place the insertor wherever it is going, fingers wrapped around it hen use my thumb to press the button

xenomorph2020

Stomach and legs. I use one hand - place the insertor wherever it is going, fingers wrapped around it hen use my thumb to press the button
thanks may try thumb to press.
could be me using finger and then finding it hard to push as I need to push harder so maybe its going in not straight in when I try press the button

Reactions: porl69

Gharris51

Hi all

On my last batch of Medtronic Mio Advance infusion sets I found it impossible to insert a new set.
Every attempt it was quite painful and bled when I removed it.
Normally use lower back so even tried stomach which went in without much pain but then started to pain after 30 mins and again bled after removing.

I called them today and they say could be the sets so they sending replacements.
I have issues like this on and off but usually 2nd try I get it in ok.

Anyone else with similar experience?
Hi everyone, I recently upgraded my Medtronic 670G to the 770G. Before I was using the MiniMed Mio, and I decided to upgrade to the Mio Advance. Every time I attempt to use one, it bruised badly and started bleeding. So far I have attempted using 4 of them from a 10 box... Medtronic is sending 2 silhouettes to try. However as of now I’m very thankful to still have some of the MinMed Mio which that will be discontinuing in the month of February...

Gharris51

I had been using the Minimed Mio before trying the Mio Advance... I really never had a problem using them. Only after ordering the Mio Advance I started having problems.

An Bear

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having major issues with the advance recently. My most recent set change was done yesterday evening after my previous set flatlined after 24 hrs no amount of insulin could get my levels down so changed the site with a small trace of blood in the teflon. The new site took well immediate reduction in blood sugars. Today around lunchtime around 24hrs with the set my sugars flatlined again had very little carbs decided to wait until teatime no change. Went to change the set and on removal major bleeder. Getting fed up with the advance on average 2 sets to get a good site. I rotate all my areas and I just don’t trust the advance in particular when we are able to travel on holiday having to bring double the amount of supplies.:inpain::inpain:

Chris1957

Hi been using the minimed advance why have they stopped supplying them now they say and of the year.they just supplied minimed mio.dont like them if I had known that I wouldn't of gone for the 780 pump.

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I received an email from Medtronic 28/05 which indicated production difficulties for the next few months owing to Covid and rising demand. I was offered the standard Mio, but I opted for the Enlite sets which I had used prior to Mio Advance. They do require a separate inserter which can be used with every set and Medtronic will supply this. I’m not sure if they’re any easier than the standard Mio, but they might be worth a try.

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m also having issues now having to use the Mio as opposed to the Advance so really high levels have now been offered quickset or Sure T not sure what I should go for

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might be worth asking Medtronic Tech Support if they can send you a few of both sets to test them, or to make them both part of your next order.
Under the circumstances it would be helpful if they could agree to this.