Glicacide timing

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I'm a 57 year old T2, diag'd going on 10 years ago. I have settled down in recent years to a drug regime of x2 doses of 1k Metformin a day and x2 40' Glicacides taken at breakfast time.

I'm comfortable with the Metformin dose and its timing, which is taken breakfast and tea time.

What bothers me is the way I am taking Glicacide. I was advised by a doctor to take the full 2x40 at breakfast time. I have been speaking to a nurse familiar with looking after T2 patients and she says they give it out breakfast and lunch time at 1x40.

My question is ..... what is the optimal timing and dosage for Glicacide :?:

Mervyn

Although I stopped taking gliclazide ( really upset my stomach) I was taking 160mg in the morning. It was working but as I say I had to stop taking it. May not help you but taking it all in the morning worked to bring down my BG whilst I was on it.

Hope it works for you. :)

Mervyn

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi wellwell1212.
I used to take my dose of gliclazide 8am [mornings]
Stopped taking it due to severe intolerances with it.
It didnt even work with bringing down my BG levels either!
Best treatment for me has been the levemir insulin therapy.
Let us all know how you get along with it thou...
Anna.x :D

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I don't seem have tolerance problems with Glic but, still don't get the dosage and timing.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Think the general time to take gliclazide is in the mornings .
Dosage was 80mg for me . Used take it with my morning cuppa !

smeatons

Not sure what the optimum timing should be, but I was told to take mine before my main meal for best effect... I'm currently on 1x 80mg tablet per day. I also take 2 x 1000mg Metformim SR after my main meal.

regards,
David

evilcat

I take my Glic (80mg) and Met (500mg) 1/2 an hour before breakfast then again 1/2 hour before dinner. I experimented with splitting the breakfast dose in two and having 1/2 at lunch but it didn't seem to make any difference so I went back to am/pm.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
I take mine with my meal or just after I finished eating. If I take it on empty stomach I get uncomfortable feelings like tightening.