how many carbs is too few?

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
You are all having a go at me for simply reiterating the official advice diabetic clinics give. I have the email from my dietician if that’s any consolation, she said as a diabetic I’m already at a high risk of ketosis and shouldn’t do a low carbohydrate diet (<130g). This advice is not personalised for me but applies to many people. My diabetes is not a new, different form of diabetes.

Here’s the part of the email:
“I normally don’t recommend low carb diet <130g per day as you have type 1 diabetes and there is a higher risk of ketosis.”

The question is asking “how many carbs is too few?” there’s no straight answer and the fact that you are all jumping at people’s throats for sharing their opinion is bizarre.

Some of you get frustrated quite easily because the thing I say contradicts your personal experience but not everyone is the same and the fact that you assume your personal experience applies to everyone is insane.

Needless to say I made the wrong assumption that it was a T1D forum so I’m going to just remove myself

it is my humble observation that no one solution is right for everybody. A lot depends on what was eaten by your family for 5 generations before. [google the Audrey Hepburn syndrome - apparently it takes 5 generations for the dna to be changed either for good or bad]

read more about that https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...Hepburn-Is-key-stopping-obesity-epidemic.html

there are good results for some following vegan diet etc. you stick to what works for you and dont take any criticism from anyone to heart. hugs!

Last edited:

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
* as for the UC diagnosis I'm not convinced I have or had it as I have never had any symptoms and reading up on it seems I should be in a bit of discomfort every now and then. OR a low Carb diet keeps it at bay, Dunno.

Did they do a colonoscopy? That's the only way to diagnose UC. (My daughter has had it since she was 4. She's 29 now - and has been asymptomatic (aside from the active UC they can see in her annual colonoscopy) most of that time, as long as she stays on her maintenance meds, no discomfort. Unfortunately, because of the increase in inflammation that shows up in her colon and a companion disease that puts her at extreme risk for colon cancer, she's now on as $20,000 (17,800 Euros )every 8 week maintenance medication.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read many anecdotal reports that Low Carb will indeed bring UC under control so it could be that. Seems to make sense.

Not really. UC is an autoimmune disorder. Unless you have an allergy to carbs, low carb won't interupt the autoimmune response. (25 years of experience with a daughter with UC - and tons of her buddies with UC and her companion disease) " low carb," despite what anyone swears by.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really. UC is an autoimmune disorder. Unless you have an allergy to carbs, low carb won't interupt the autoimmune response. (25 years of experience with a daughter with UC - and tons of her buddies with UC and her companion disease) " low carb," despite what anyone swears by.
Just some anecdotes and carnivore rather than simple low carb but...

https://meatrx.com/?s=colitis

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just some anecdotes and carnivore rather than simple low carb but...

https://meatrx.com/?s=colitis

Because my daughter has a rare companion disease, I also know hundreds of others with UC or Crohns (both are IBDs, UC impacts the colon; Crohns the entire GI tract). Nutrition and diets are a hot topic at our annual conference (of ~200 people). What people swear keeps their IBD under control runs the gamut. In our experience, the only dietary change we made that ever made a difference was to remove poultry from her diet. Her control had only been intermittent prior to that time - and since that time (a quarter of a century ago) the only times she has been out of remission was when someone fed her "100% beef" that we later confirmed was actually poultry. The reason for removing poultry from her diet was that it was a blank space on her allergy scratch tests (primarily for ragweed) - so we tested what she had been eating lots of - and she showed an allergic response to chcken and turkey. (She also been having intermittent hives, which also stopped). That immune trigger that stars a cascade of attacks on her colon is pretty much the theory the crohns-colitis foundation adopted later.

But she's able to eat anything else (including things that others can't tolerate - like gluten, high fiber, high fruits and veggies). So it seems to be pretty individualized - but the general therory is a genetic predisposition + environmental trigger.