Cucumber

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Cucumber , is it low or no carb, seen a post on Instagram of a lady having slices of it with cheddar cheese so tried it , was too nice to be good for me , didn't spike my bloods , but I'm afraid like porridge or was fantastic taste wise and blood wise but then BOOM it started to spike me

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends. Carb per 100g at www.tesco.com:
- plain cucumber 1.5g (no worry)
- pickled cucumber 9.3g (too high for 20g/per day keto diets)

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Look up how many carbs in cucumber and cheddar and how many carbs in porridge.
That should set your mind at ease ;)

Reactions: AloeSvea

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Look up how many carbs in cucumber and cheddar and how many carbs in porridge.
That should set your mind at ease ;)
Porridge had a 30g fmof carbs per bowl , with the milk probably up to 40/45 but one day and ever since it spikes my mmol readings

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge had a 30g fmof carbs per bowl , with the milk probably up to 40/45 but one day and ever since it spikes my mmol readings
Cucumber has 1 or 2 grams of carbs per 100 grams, cheddar even less.
So why would you fear those less than 5 grams of carbs for a big portion of cucumber and cheddar would do the same to your blood sugar as 10 times that many carbs from the porridge?

Reactions: Greenwave

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Antje77 - while cucumber does have some carbs it is very low carbs so unless you are trying for less than 10 grams or maybe 20 grams a day you should just be able to eat it without worrying at all. If going under 20n grams a day you can still have some but just keep a note of how many you eat. - If you are going for less then 20 grams a day you shouldn't even smell porridge:(. I used to regularly have oats as they are 'healthy' but no ,longer- still do eat some cucumber- well when it is warmer I do. Cucumber and cheese- lovely low carb snack.

Reactions: Guna108
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Cucumber , is it low or no carb, seen a post on Instagram of a lady having slices of it with cheddar cheese so tried it , was too nice to be good for me , didn't spike my bloods , but I'm afraid like porridge or was fantastic taste wise and blood wise but then BOOM it started to spike me

Hi, get yourself a helpful carbs and cals book, or google foods for their nutritional value. My daughter and I love cucumber, tried to grow my own for the first time last year but not a great success, only three and they were quite small, but tasty and I love it with a dip.