Should UK recall any extended release METFORMIN?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
That's concerning. I had a liver biopsy last year because the endocrinologist I'd seen couldn't explain why my liver function was lower than it should be and had been for a very long time. They seem to have identified certain batches supplied during certain dates, so I wonder if they have had problems in the manufacture? Something to keep our eyes open for. The brand name on mine is Sukkarto made by Morningside Haelth Care, based in Leicester. It would be nice to think they're made in Leicester but who knows.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I can see from that link, the recall only applies to slow release Metformin in 14 batches from one company called Teva.

No reason to assume there is any of the contaminant in any slow release Metformin that may be in your house, unless it is produced by Teva AND has batch codes to match those on the recall.

May be worth mentioning that the announcement specifically mentions bottles of the pills. Therefore, if your Metformin is supplied in blister packs, then you don't have the Metformin in question.

This is from the link:

Company Announcement
Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. is voluntarily recalling fourteen (14) lots of Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release Tablets, USP 500 mg and 750 mg, 100 and 1000 count bottles, in the United States to the consumer-level due to the detection of N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) levels in excess of the Acceptable Daily Intake Limit (ADI).

The link also has the batch codes and pictures of the labels.

Reactions: Buzzer81

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That's concerning. I had a liver biopsy last year because the endocrinologist I'd seen couldn't explain why my liver function was lower than it should be and had been for a very long time. They seem to have identified certain batches supplied during certain dates, so I wonder if they have had problems in the manufacture? Something to keep our eyes open for. The brand name on mine is Sukkarto made by Morningside Haelth Care, based in Leicester. It would be nice to think they're made in Leicester but who knows.
I've decided to stop my metformin til I'm more reassured. Once liver goes cirrhosis I've not heard of any repair other than an organ transplant. Sooooo til then I'm having to inject more insulin with huge caution. But that's just me. I have had a warning too, for the second time about my failing liver. So until I get any medical advice with the full picture I'm making the decision to see if I'm healthier without metformin. I never thought I'd ever say that as its benefits used to be exceptional.
Hope you aren't very ill @DavidGrahamJones ?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@ickihun It is of course entirely up to you whether to take metformin or not but this is the UK official guidence on the subject.

"The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is aware that outside the UK very low amounts of an impurity, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), have been found in some metformin diabetes medicines.
Patients in the UK are advised to continue taking their metformin medicines as usual. The risks from not having adequate diabetes treatment far outweigh any possible effects of the low levels of NDMA seen in metformin medicines outside the UK.
As these metformin medicines are also available in Europe and outside the EU, the MHRA is working closely with the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and other regulatory authorities to determine whether any further action is required and will continue to keep patients updated as more information becomes available.
The levels of NDMA seen in the affected non-UK metformin medicines are very low and appear to be within or even below the range that people would normally be exposed from other sources, including food and water. For more information, read the EMA’s update on detection of impurities in metformin diabetes medicines and the ongoing investigation by EU regulators here. If patients have any questions, they should speak to their healthcare professional."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...e products,their metformin medicines as usual.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hope you aren't very ill @DavidGrahamJones ?

I feel fine thank you. There is some scarring on my liver but not described as cirrhosis. The weird thing about my liver function is that it has improved and got worse again. My GP has never been overly concerned about it and the endocrinologist only did the biopsy as part of looking into my inability to lose weight even when reducing calories significantly.

On the weight loss front, I will probably have to fast, just cutting down doesn't work. I'm not going to panic at the moment because I'm trying just to eat healthily.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is regular Metformin safe? Any news on that? I am on 3 x 500 mg. Tried to limit to 2 x 500 mg but 2hours after meals BG shot up with similar food in the same quantity... so am back on my 3 x 500 mg regimen:angelic:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is regular Metformin safe? Any news on that? I am on 3 x 500 mg. Tried to limit to 2 x 500 mg but 2hours after meals BG shot up with similar food in the same quantity... so am back on my 3 x 500 mg regimen:angelic:
No mention of the regular ones but I'm stopping mine. In fact I've lost a few pounds since already. Even though I've had to take insulin instead. Strange but true.