Weight Loss

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes right at the end of 2019, literally as it was December 31. Blood Sugar test was 91 and I weighed 15 stone. I didn't take the news that well and by March I was six pounds higher. I haven't been purposely trying to lose weight, still been drinking up to 8l of milk a day but cutting down now. Still eating chocolate trifles but I weighed myself on Friday and then on different scales today and I'm 14 stone 1lb. That's 1st, 5lbs lost in less than three months, what's going on?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you testing before you eat and again 2 hours after?

What are you eating in a typical day?

Not testing, I tend to eat a mix of good and bad. Still have fish and chips (but split it into two portions), at one stage was having up to 10 pints of milk a day - down to 2 now, chocolate bars and trifles, sandwiches. not the kind of food that would see me lose that much weight if any.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to test otherwise you will not be able tell what effect your food is having on you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have said your nurse gave you a testing machine.
Are you on any diabetes medication?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you more interested in weight loss than control your T2?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unintentional weight loss could be a sign of late onset T1.. if you were measuring your blood sugar levels you could find that they are high and might well be worth getting another check up.
See if you can get a c-peptide test to check on your endogenous insulin production.
Your HbA1c at 91 mmol/m if that is what you mean by your "blood sugar test" is quite high.

I know that I need to lose weight and have been cutting down on the milk. Just losing the amount I have is worrying. I thought my scales were wrong, then checked on another one and still same result.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you will accept some advice, and I am not criticising you in any way. We all have to find our own way.

When I was diagnosed at 122 my main aim was to get my numbers down to normal non diabetic.

Because I was so high, I decided to do keto. It took me a few weeks to adjust but my numbers started to drop and so did my weight.

The thing that worries me about you is the stuff you are eating and the weight loss.

You need to keep a food diary, and please test before and after eating. Record your food and numbers in the mysugr app. This is evidence you can show your medical team. There maybe something else going on.

Reactions: lucylocket61
If you will accept some advice, and I am not criticising you in any way. We all have to find our own way.

When I was diagnosed at 122 my main aim was to get my numbers down to normal non diabetic.

Because I was so high, I decided to do keto. It took me a few weeks to adjust but my numbers started to drop and so did my weight.

The thing that worries me about you is the stuff you are eating and the weight loss.

You need to keep a food diary, and please test before and after eating. Record your food and numbers in the mysugr app. This is evidence you can show your medical team. There maybe something else going on.

Thanks, I haven't coped at all well with the diabetes diagnosis, I admit that. Trying to eat healthier, ham salad today, the big weight loss is worrying me though, so will go to doctors this week.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unintentional weight loss could be a sign of late onset T1.. if you were measuring your blood sugar levels you could find that they are high and might well be worth getting another check up.
See if you can get a c-peptide test to check on your endogenous insulin production.
Your HbA1c at 91 mmol/m if that is what you mean by your "blood sugar test" is quite high.
When I was diagnosed.in 2008 my symptoms were extreme thirst and I lost weight rapidly, I think I went down a belt size or 2 in a week. I was put on Metformin and bydureon pretty much within weeks and my weight loss stopped and my bloods stabilised. They did test for type 1 but I recall them saying it was inconclusive and that the fact my bloods stabilised on those drugs meant I was type 2

So I lost weight on high bloods on type 2. I guess cause my body was basically trying to recover by getting rid of sugar through urine

What surprises me more on this is that with the levels the original poster said, given how pill happy the NHS is that Metformin at the least hasn't been prescribed. My nurse started getting concerned when my levels hit 78

And OP... Those levels are not good, so glad you are going to doctor.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not testing, I tend to eat a mix of good and bad. Still have fish and chips (but split it into two portions), at one stage was having up to 10 pints of milk a day - down to 2 now, chocolate bars and trifles, sandwiches. not the kind of food that would see me lose that much weight if any.

@brightonboyjan23 Out of interest, why do you drink milk?

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes right at the end of 2019, literally as it was December 31. Blood Sugar test was 91 and I weighed 15 stone. I didn't take the news that well and by March I was six pounds higher. I haven't been purposely trying to lose weight, still been drinking up to 8l of milk a day but cutting down now. Still eating chocolate trifles but I weighed myself on Friday and then on different scales today and I'm 14 stone 1lb. That's 1st, 5lbs lost in less than three months, what's going on?
Hey @brightonboyjan23 ,

Losing a lot of weight while the odds are, with your current diet, that your blood sugars are still high, is not a good indicator. Please do see the doc asap, and when you do see them, ask for C-peptide and GAD tests to be done. Before you start getting serious about tackling your T2, you want to be sure that is, what it is.

(And I used to drink about a liter and a half of milk a day myself. I still miss it, but it brought me more grief than it was worth).