What to disclose and who to?

kastarkey1982

I was admitted to hospital on Friday night with suspected stroke (awaiting an MRI) and have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and prescribed metformin by the hospital (still waiting to be seen by the diabetes team as an outpatient). I am wanting to know what my obligations are with regards to disclosing the T2D to DVLA, car insurance and life insurance providers? Also if anybody knows anything about disclosure of stroke that would also be of assistance.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As regards DVLA you have to disclose T2 if you are on insulin or a glucose lowering medication such as glicazide because they could cause hypos. To be honest, I would not worry about it at the moment. Concentrate on getting better, when you have more answers, you will have the right information at your fingertips. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

kastarkey1982

As regards DVLA you have to disclose T2 if you are on insulin or a glucose lowering medication such as glicazide because they could cause hypos. To be honest, I would not worry about it at the moment. Concentrate on getting better, when you have more answers, you will have the right information at your fingertips. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks for the speedy reply x

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In terms of insurance, depends what your policy says. Most policy's say you need to tell then of major developments in your health and this would class. If you don't and worst happens it can invalidate your claim.

In most cases they can't renegotiate the policy, but if it's only an X years policy, once it expires you might find it tricky or quite expensive to get another

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You don't need to tell the DVLA when it's just Metformin. I would recommend telling any insurer.

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
I was admitted to hospital on Friday night with suspected stroke (awaiting an MRI) and have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and prescribed metformin by the hospital (still waiting to be seen by the diabetes team as an outpatient). I am wanting to know what my obligations are with regards to disclosing the T2D to DVLA, car insurance and life insurance providers? Also if anybody knows anything about disclosure of stroke that would also be of assistance.

please check it because an insurance company could disallow any claim you make even if not caused by diabetes.you would not want damage to your car for example and your insurance will not pay even if it was not diabetes caused.

read the fine print of your insurance policies.

with drivers license if you dont declare it then they can suspend your license as opposed to making you renew your drivers license every year - again read the fine print

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
with drivers license if you dont declare it then they can suspend your license as opposed to making you renew your drivers license every year

Not quite . it depends on your medication

@kastarkey1982

For once Diabetes UK have something half useful.

The tables at the bottom of the article lay out what you should do

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/driving/driving-licence

Govt slightly less useful

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

Last edited:

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are confirmed as having a stroke, then you will not be permitted to drive for a minimum of four weeks. if like my hospital they give you a letter informing you of that. as for the DVLA if not on glucose reducing medication then you don't have to, but I would inform your insurance company of your diagnosis. Hope you have a speedy recovery from it.

Take care

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!
Sorry for your present health situation. Either condition is bad enough to have to deal with, but both at once? What a blow!
I very much hope that your stroke was a ‘mild’ one and that your recovery goes well.

Regarding insurance, when you are ready to get back behind the wheel, give your insurance a ring and discuss it with them. They will be able to give you a detailed answer based on your current policy, and you can discuss any changes.

Regarding informing the DVLA, I suggest that you visit this webpage and look up strokes and diabetes. You don’t yet know what your final medication regime will be and you can use this page to check as things change.
https://www.gov.uk/driving-medical-conditions

Best wishes for a fast and full recovery.