Jelly Sweets & Insulin

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mind has gone blank. I attended a course similar to Daphne last year and it went through all the usually carb counting and foods to inject for etc.
One thing I've gone blank on is Jelly Sweets, like Haribo.
I only ever use these to treat hypos but every now and then would like a treat of haribo or similar. My question is. Should I inject for these carbs as I'm not actually treating a hypo. Thanks

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes any carbs eaten that aren't for a hypo need to be injected for but its best to include such things as part of a meal rather than a snack throughout the day xx

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes any carbs eaten that aren't for a hypo need to be injected for but its best to include such things as part of a meal rather than a snack throughout the day xx
Thank you, they would be my "desert" so straight after my dinner. I had a complete blank as I'm used to using them for hypo treatment. I dont snack on thing like that - being a dental nurses it against what I know :) xxx

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a dark chocolate/dark chocolate mint kit kat kinda lass after my dinner and after tea it's either 1 square Lindt 90% chocolate or a 25g bar Aldi's Moser Roth 85% chocolate lol xxx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mind has gone blank. I attended a course similar to Daphne last year and it went through all the usually carb counting and foods to inject for etc.
One thing I've gone blank on is Jelly Sweets, like Haribo.
I only ever use these to treat hypos but every now and then would like a treat of haribo or similar. My question is. Should I inject for these carbs as I'm not actually treating a hypo. Thanks

Hi, well I think it depends on how many you are eating? I was told (generally) that anything over 15 carbs probably requires insulin dependent on individual ratios of course. Under 15 carbs 'should' be mopped up by your basal. Of course it is trial and error and who stops after 15 carbs of haribos anyway. :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Got to say ***** bears are my total downfall I start out only going to have a few then before I know it the whole packets away , so I tend to take some insulin as I think about them then I HAVE to eat them hehehe

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi@Scarlett91, very sugar-heavy snacks may well cause a swift spike in blood sugars, it’s why they’re such good hypo treatments. However, the best way discover whether they do, and how much insulin you need for them, how long before eating them you should bolus etc etc is an individual thing. Like everyone says, we’re all different. The best way to find out if a small bag of haribo or is your undoing, or not, may be to test, dose, wait for the insulin to become active, eat, then test again after a couple of intervals for digestion, absorption etc to take place. Let us know what happens?

Last edited: