Can anyone explain please?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s great thank you especially the tips on finger pricking ... it’s been on max and in the middle of the pad . Every day is a school day.... great I have my starting point ... thanks everyone who responded
I’m assuming you are not diabetic or Prediabetic? Testing yourself alongside him might be enlightening, both for the how it feels on your part as well as highlighting the differences in response and levels to motivate on his, though depending on his outlook it could be seen as condescending or an impossible goal to reach so tread carefully before acting here.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I feel for your husband. Getting BS down is challenging. I have been on a journey for years with trying most medications, including insulin, and not all medications are the same. I had my Gliclazide swapped by the GP and the new tablet did not work, in fact it made my BS worse. So be aware that different meds may have different effects on different people.

My journey continues and I have found that eating as few carbs as possible is best. Personally, I do not eat pasta, rice or potato, never, not even a little bit. If you put 50g of carbs in, you have to get 50g carbs out.

Which is a nice segue to exercise. A nice relaxed aerobic exercise of 30 mins a day really helps me keep my BS down. You need to get your heart rate up a bit, say 70 to 90bbp and keep it there. Sounds easy, but trust me, it is 30 mins of hell, for me anyway. I enjoy cycling and have found that to be my exercise of choice although I am a fair weather cyclist.

Finally, and out of interest, I have reduced my Gliclazide from 2 twice daily to once daily and today 16 June, I am taking my last morning Gliclazide. I do still take one other tablet, but I will be ceasing Gliclazide after today.

I wish you and your husband all the best on his journey to conquering diabetes. And yes, it can be done.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Although I am not plant based, I have experimented for years, like so many on what works for me.

The following may help. If possible remove rice, pasta and potatoes. In place courgettes,, leeks, tomatoes, radish, cauliflour, celeriac, mushrooms, bean sprouts, green beans, cabbage, greens, kale, spinach, bell peppers and sugar snaps avocados. Nuts apart from cashews and peanuts (maybe Asda brand is ok as these are circa 5 g per 100 g). I would suggest small amounts of carrots and butternut squashes / turnips / swedes (these last 5 items are higher carb, but better than potatoes. I choose to eat beetroot as well.

If you do eat eggs and cheese, there's some baseline foods along with fruit ending in berry.

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I feel for your husband. Getting BS down is challenging. I have been on a journey for years with trying most medications, including insulin, and not all medications are the same. I had my Gliclazide swapped by the GP and the new tablet did not work, in fact it made my BS worse. So be aware that different meds may have different effects on different people.

My journey continues and I have found that eating as few carbs as possible is best. Personally, I do not eat pasta, rice or potato, never, not even a little bit. If you put 50g of carbs in, you have to get 50g carbs out.

Which is a nice segue to exercise. A nice relaxed aerobic exercise of 30 mins a day really helps me keep my BS down. You need to get your heart rate up a bit, say 70 to 90bbp and keep it there. Sounds easy, but trust me, it is 30 mins of hell, for me anyway. I enjoy cycling and have found that to be my exercise of choice although I am a fair weather cyclist.

Finally, and out of interest, I have reduced my Gliclazide from 2 twice daily to once daily and today 16 June, I am taking my last morning Gliclazide. I do still take one other tablet, but I will be ceasing Gliclazide after today.

I wish you and your husband all the best on his journey to conquering diabetes. And yes, it can be done.

Thank you

Duffysmum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I am not plant based, I have experimented for years, like so many on what works for me.

The following may help. If possible remove rice, pasta and potatoes. In place courgettes,, leeks, tomatoes, radish, cauliflour, celeriac, mushrooms, bean sprouts, green beans, cabbage, greens, kale, spinach, bell peppers and sugar snaps avocados. Nuts apart from cashews and peanuts (maybe Asda brand is ok as these are circa 5 g per 100 g). I would suggest small amounts of carrots and butternut squashes / turnips / swedes (these last 5 items are higher carb, but better than potatoes. I choose to eat beetroot as well.

If you do eat eggs and cheese, there's some baseline foods along with fruit ending in berry.

Thank you