Problems with Mettformin

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody,
I was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes in early July this year. I had been on steroids for 4 months before that, and the GP thinks that the steroids triggered the diabetes, although
I had been having annual fasting blood tests for 3 or4 years before that.
I was put on Metformin, 1, 2, then 3 per day after 3 weeks. I had stomach/ digestive problems, bloating and wind, and then last week the GP changed me to the slow release version, 1 tab night and morning. This seems too have made the digestive/ bloating problems worse, along with dizzy/lightheadedness. Is there any other drug that I may be able to take? i'm feeling so awful at the moment, still bloated at 6am this morning, after taking the tablet at 6 pm Last night.

storm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I was diagnosed as type 2 around the same time as you, I had terrible diarrhea for the first two months and then intermitant problems two months (once a week)

However, for the last month or so, it all seems to have cleared up.

I find it best to take it with food rather than on an empty tummy

marti

Welcome aboard i am Martina type 2 since 2005, i was on metformin and had to get changed because of the going to the bathroom to much. now i am on insulin

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
storm said:
Hello, I was diagnosed as type 2 around the same time as you, I had terrible diarrhea for the first two months and then intermitant problems two months (once a week)

However, for the last month or so, it all seems to have cleared up.

I find it best to take it with food rather than on an empty tummy

This post above makes sense. I too persisted with the medication and waited for it to clear up. Now I am fine with Metformin. As storm says, always take during a meal.