Hyperglycaemia and back ache

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ever since my DKA admission a couple of years ago along with the regular symptoms of being Hyper (thirsty, tired, feel sick, using the bathroom more) I also get upper backache quite bad, it comes on when I'm starting to rise and eases off as soon as my blood sugars are back in range. Looking around on the internet no one seems to mention backache as being a symptom of a Hyper, does anyone else suffer from this?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ever since my DKA admission a couple of years ago along with the regular symptoms of being Hyper (thirsty, tired, feel sick, using the bathroom more) I also get upper backache quite bad, it comes on when I'm starting to rise and eases off as soon as my blood sugars are back in range. Looking around on the internet no one seems to mention backache as being a symptom of a Hyper, does anyone else suffer from this?

When you talk about your upper back; how far up do you mean? I'm wondering if your kidneys are objecting to the additional work, clearing the glucose, but to be clear, that is pure speculation on my part.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you talk about your upper back; how far up do you mean? I'm wondering if your kidneys are objecting to the additional work, clearing the glucose, but to be clear, that is pure speculation on my part.

Hello, I had to google this so excuse the term, it's level with where the Deltoid muscle is, all across that area.