Blood sugars and driving.

Andykopgod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys hope we are all well, my friend told me that if my blood sugars are below 4.0, im best not driving, is that true? Im a carer and its kind of important in my job. Thanks guys
received_259517628475154.jpg

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys hope we are all well, my friend told me that if my blood sugars are below 4.0, im best not driving, is that true? Im a carer and its kind of important in my job. Thanks guys

If you are on blood glucose lowering medication such as insulin or gliclazide (possibly some others as well), you cannot drive with low blood sugar - if you do you will be driving illegally and your insurance would likely not cover you for anything should anything happen
There's a saying. Five to drive, four you're on the floor !!!!
Depends if @Andykopgod is on blood glucose lowering medication or suffers from hypos really

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh blimey, thanks hun x

Plenty of non diabetics drive with blood sugars of 4, or even slightly less, though they may feel hangry. The reason diabetics have to be careful if they are on gliclazide or insulin is that those drugs can make your blood sugar go down significantly less than 4, at which point you can become irrational and even become unconscious.

But as @Rokaab said, it really depends on your medication.... If you manage to control T2 by diet alone then you don't have to worry at all...

Andykopgod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plenty of non diabetics drive with blood sugars of 4, or even slightly less, though they may feel hangry. The reason diabetics have to be careful if they are on gliclazide or insulin is that those drugs can make your blood sugar go down significantly less than 4, at which point you can become irrational and even become unconscious.

But as @Rokaab said, it really depends on your medication.... If you manage to control T2 by diet alone then you don't have to worry at all...
Cheers. Im on metformin and my sugars have only gone as low as 4.1, but i do feel very nausious a lot, a bit spacy, iv got my diabetic checkup in August il ask her it its the metformin, iv heard it doesnt agree with everyone.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I know as type 1 you cant drive with a bs under 5 . Plus you have to have bs meter and glucose with you and have to test every 2 hours not sure how it applies to other types. I’m sure the Dvla website have more info.

Andykopgod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know as type 1 you cant drive with a bs under 5 . Plus you have to have bs meter and glucose with you and have to test every 2 hours not sure how it applies to other types. I’m sure the Dvla website have more info.
Yeah type 1 is more strict i suppose. Mines mainly diet controlled for now, but in the 4 weeks since diagnoses iv felt pretty ****, especialy during this hot weather. Driving is a bit tricky, i tend to not be as alert as i was.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers. Im on metformin and my sugars have only gone as low as 4.1, but i do feel very nausious a lot, a bit spacy, iv got my diabetic checkup in August il ask her it its the metformin, iv heard it doesnt agree with everyone.

Hi,

If you have been been recently diagnosed. Feeling "spacey" could be the new "norm" from higher BGs, thus making unfit to drive..
Hey, I'm rooting to carry on as normal.

T1 & As a a driver myself. Technically "Under the influence" if i crashed whilst low.. (On my meds.) 3 year max restricted licence pending on not getting "blue lighted" for passing out.. (Lucky , I never have.)

Loving yer profile pic & a bit of classic Star Wars fan myself plus Rougue one.

What have you achieved diet change & med change wise.? I can tag in appropriate members to help..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you should be OK to drive, getting better as you get used to lower levels of glucose.
I think that you might be as well to tell your insurance company you are diabetic, as a precaution, but as the usual advice to type two diabetics is not to bother testing it seems that no one is much bothered about our blood glucose levels.
Try drinking more water in the hot weather - I find it makes me feel a lot better, but you don't need to be concerned about legal limits, as they don't apply to us.

DiW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys hope we are all well, my friend told me that if my blood sugars are below 4.0, im best not driving, is that true? Im a carer and its kind of important in my job. Thanks guysView attachment 42102

last year I was issued with a leaflet from the DVLA by my diabetic team regarding driving. You must be at least 6 Or above to drive.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
last year I was issued with a leaflet from the DVLA by my diabetic team regarding driving. You must be at least 6 Or above to drive.
Um, I'm not sure that's correct, and also since it looks like Andykopgod isn't on blood glucose medication it doesn't apply to him anyways.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.g...vers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf

For insulin users.

You must be above 4mmol to drive and
if under 5 you need to take a snack to raise it before setting off.
If you hypo ( under 4) whilst driving you must return to 5 and be there 45mins before resuming

For sulphonylureas and glinides and group 1 (car) use -
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabete...etes-treated-by-medication-other-than-insulin.
May drive and need not notify the DVLA, provided:
■ no more than 1 episode of severe hypoglycaemia while awake in the last 12 months and the most recent episode occurred more than 3 months ago
■ should practise appropriate glucose monitoring at times relevant to driving
■ under regular review.
It is appropriate to offer self monitoring of blood glucose at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia.
If the above requirements and those set out in Appendix D are met, the DVLA need not be informed.

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For insulin users.

You must be above 4mmol to drive and
if under 5 you need to take a snack to raise it before setting off.
If you hypo whilst driving you must return to 5 and be there 45mins before resuming

I knew I remembered seeing that somewhere, I just couldn't find it again (so couldn't quote it) :) - they hide the info, thanks for linking it.

flowerthym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There's a saying. Five to drive, four you're on the floor !!!!
Here in the UK, I received a letter from the DVLC saying that I should notg drive if my BG falls below 4.5 and if it is at 5, then I should eat a small meal before getting behind the wheel. I am Type 2 on insulin and Gliclazide.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having just renewed my three year restricted licence (common to all T1s) I've got the DVLA's Guide to insulin treated diabetes and driving papers in front of me (they always send them with a renewed licence). The information is exactly that given in the second link @HSSS has put up above. @DiW it's definitely over 5, and there are other requirements. Hope that helps.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys hope we are all well, my friend told me that if my blood sugars are below 4.0, im best not driving, is that true? Im a carer and its kind of important in my job. Thanks guysView attachment 42102

It’s actually illegal to drive at 4 or below for diabetics (not sure if there’s any exceptions), as driving below 4 is considered not fit to control a vehicle. I’m referring to type 1 insulin dependent though like I said I’m not sure if it differs for other types xx

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s actually illegal to drive at 4 or below for diabetics (not sure if there’s any exceptions), as driving below 4 is considered not fit to control a vehicle. I’m referring to type 1 insulin dependent though like I said I’m not sure if it differs for other types xx
It applies to anyone on blood-glucose lowering medications (no matter what type of diabetes) - but Andykopgod does not appear to be using them so is fine.

Reactions: Rylando88
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DVLA guidelines state that you are not to drive with a blood sugar lower than 5. If you do your insurance will not be valid and they can revoke your license

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DVLA guidelines state that you are not to drive with a blood sugar lower than 5. If you do your insurance will not be valid and they can revoke your license

Again as I just stated just before your post that applies if using blood-glucose reducing meds which Andykopgod has said he is not (he is on metformin but that does not count as a blood-glucose lowering drug)