Newbie to forum

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Everyone I am new to this site but not to T2 diabetes which I have had for just over 3 years

Reactions: SaskiaKC

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, @Mrs T 123.

Have a look around the forum and ask any questions you may have. Plenty of helpful, friendly and knowledgeable members around here.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for that - When I was diagnosed around March 2017 my HbA1c was 86 (very high) and within a few months I managed to get it down to 45, then 39 in 2018, then 36 in 2019, purely with diet and keeping active and I also lost around 3 stone in that 1st year which I think helped alot. I immediately bought a meter (which my DN\ strongly advised against) but like many of you on site - I knew the only way to find out what foods did not like me was to be achieved by using a meter. The last few weeks I have been looking on this site (with being furloughed and having extra time) and I also suspect my BG may have gone up as since last winter I have put a stone on in weight and my bloods do seem a bit higher maybe combination of weight gain and COVID stress so I hope to get this controlled again and have already lost over 10 pounds but still have a little to do. As I said I have been looking at all your posts recently and have already learnt alot from them so will have lots of questions for yous as I have done this so far on my own just reading diabetes 2 books from Amazon and cutting out obvious sugars but am now interested in the LCHF diets etc. I have seen yous all posting about. I was due my year;ly review at the end of March but this was cancelled unfortunately so I am in limbo at the moment. Take care everyone and looking forward to chatting with yous.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be very interested to know what yous eat for breakfasts, lunches and dinners on the LCHF diets and also Keto diets - it may be a way forward for me?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ziggy do you follow any special diet or what type of things do yo eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner for to achieve your really good HbA1cs?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ziggy do you follow any special diet or what type of things do yo eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner for to achieve your really good HbA1cs?

Hi Mrs T 123,

Wow, what a fabulous journey you've been on. It is no small feat to get down from 86 to 36. Really well done. Even if a bit higher right now due to stress and weight gain, I am sure you can get there again. Congrats on the 10 pound weight loss, btw.

Like many T2s on here, I've been cutting carbs to lower my blood sugars. Initially I was probably a little higher carb, but have naturally drifted lower over time and am now usually (but not always) somewhere between 10g and 20g per day.

As to what I eat -- today for breakfast I just had just a decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol (a zero-calorie sugar alcohol with no effect on insulin and blood sugars).

Lunch: Two eggs scrambled with eggplant puree and butter. Half a roll (very low carb recipe from the website mentioned by @Hotpepper20000 above) with butter and smoked salmon. About 15g of 88% cocoa content chocolate.

Dinner: Rabbit in an estragon-mustard-cream sauce with cauliflower rice and two glasses of dry red wine.

So, altogether around 15g of carbs. You might also want to have a look at the "What have you eaten today?" thread in the low-carb diet forum for lots of other fabulous ideas.

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mrs T 123,

Wow, what a fabulous journey you've been on. It is no small feat to get down from 86 to 36. Really well done. Even if a bit higher right now due to stress and weight gain, I am sure you can get there again. Congrats on the 10 pound weight loss, btw.

Like many T2s on here, I've been cutting carbs to lower my blood sugars. Initially I was probably a little higher carb, but have naturally drifted lower over time and am now usually (but not always) somewhere between 10g and 20g per day.

As to what I eat -- today for breakfast I just had just a decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol (a zero-calorie sugar alcohol with no effect on insulin and blood sugars).

Lunch: Two eggs scrambled with eggplant puree and butter. Half a roll (very low carb recipe from the website mentioned by @Hotpepper2000 above) with butter and smoked salmon. About 15g of 88% cocoa content chocolate.

Dinner: Rabbit in an estragon-mustard-cream sauce with cauliflower rice and two glasses of dry red wine.

So, altogether around 15g of carbs. You might also want to have a look at the "What have you eaten today?" thread in the low-carb diet forum for lots of other fabulous ideas.
Many thanks for that Ziggy - much appreciated - it was very helpful to know that you have around 10-20 carbs a day. I should start start eating more eggs in place of cereal and porridge. I was also eating alot of fruit which I had thought was good for me - sometimes I would eat an apple and an orange after my dinner not realising they were about 10 carbs each!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for that Ziggy - much appreciated - it was very helpful to know that you have around 10-20 carbs a day. I should start start eating more eggs in place of cereal and porridge. I was also eating alot of fruit which I had thought was good for me - sometimes I would eat an apple and an orange after my dinner not realising they were about 10 carbs each!

Yes, lots of fruit juice was my downfall before diagnosis for sure -- like you thinking it was healthy. If I had started out on 10g to 20g of carbs in the beginning, I might have found this to be a bit tough -- it took me a while to figure out good substitutes for higher carb foods. Have to agree though eggs are definitely a much better choice for people like us than cereal or porridge.

Captain Ahab

Hello Everyone I am new to this site but not to T2 diabetes which I have had for just over 3 years
Hi , I have just joined too. Have Type 2 at least since 2008 but probably earlier. Looking at Low Carb means of controlling things at present. Lockdown been useful in that regard! I still need to work my way round website but any leads would be welcome.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , I have just joined too. Have Type 2 at least since 2008 but probably earlier. Looking at Low Carb means of controlling things at present. Lockdown been useful in that regard! I still need to work my way round website but any leads would be welcome.

Welcome to the forum, @Captain Ahab. Anything you would like to know in particular?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mrs T 123 and welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll get great results from looking at the carb level that suits your blood results best. Testing two hours after eating quickly helps you work out what’s best for you. Eggs are wonderful but I really couldn’t eat porridge and like @ziggy_w orange juice was my diabetic downfall too! My starting hbaca1 was 97 but I maintain really well in low 30s and have for almost three years by eating mainly less than 20g of carb per day. Take a look at
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1907#post-2274797
To see what a group of us low carbers eat each day lots of ideas you may be tempted to join in with us and you’d be very welcome

Reactions: ziggy_w

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mrs T 123 and welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll get great results from looking at the carb level that suits your blood results best. Testing two hours after eating quickly helps you work out what’s best for you. Eggs are wonderful but I really couldn’t eat porridge and like @ziggy_w orange juice was my diabetic downfall too! My starting hbaca1 was 97 but I maintain really well in low 30s and have for almost three years by eating mainly less than 20g of carb per day. Take a look at
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1907#post-2274797
To see what a group of us low carbers eat each day lots of ideas you may be tempted to join in with us and you’d be very welcome
Many thanks for that - that's fab knowing that if I aim for less than 20 carbs a day I should get back to or better than I was before. Some of my blood sugars recently have been 7s, 8s and even 9s - I have been eating carrots etc. thinking I was doing the right thing but since being on this forum I have found out even these are a bit high in carbs.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Shelley with being on the LCHF diet did it affect your cholestoral at all - that's the only concern I have?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - yes the one positive of lockdown for me is that I am learning all over again on how best to control my diabetes and also with having more spare time, I have managed to lose about 10 pounds in weight that I had tried to do from last winter but without success.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shelley with being on the LCHF diet did it affect your cholestoral at all - that's the only concern I have?

Hi @Mrs T 123,

I'm sure @shelley262 will chime in soon. For me, overall cholesterol didn't change at all. However, trigs went down and HDL came up -- both of the these changes are generally seen as positive.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mrs T 123,

I'm sure @shelley262 will chime in soon. For me, overall cholesterol didn't change at all. However, trigs went down and HDL came up -- both of the these changes are generally seen as positive.
Many thanks for that - it is re-assuring - much appreciated

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How on earth did you get your blood sugars down while still eating porridge, cereal and fruit...!? Are you magic? (Colour me impressed!) :)

Anyway, hello. You've probably already seen the Nutritional Thingy as I scatter it around here quite liberally, but I'm another one who keeps to about 20 grams or less of carbs a day. Eggs really do help things along. As does just having tea or coffee for breakfast. :)