Help Me Stay Keto Please

johnb46

Hi, At the risk of getting no replies at all, I'm making this long post because i) I can't explain any quicker and ii) I'm desperate.
A month before I completed a 12 week transition (starting at HbA1c 47) into a ketogenic diet, I wrote:
Hi, I'm 73 yo, male with T2D since late 2013 diagnosis, diet controlled but only just, BMI 22.5 and don't need to lose weight. BP controlled to less than 140/80 by 5mg Amlodipine and cholesterol controlled at 4-5 by 20 mg statin; lifelong asthmatic, controlled well by drugs.
I get plenty of exercise, in excess of 5 x 30 mins strenuous sessions per week.

Why did I go keto? To reinstate myself firmly into the low prediabetes HbA1c range, preferably better, and to be a credible, live example, to my son and D-in-Law who have a T1D teenage daughter, that BG can be controlled (maybe not till she's out of the headstrong teenager stage and definitely at the cost implied by recognising she can't eat just what she likes and maintain stability with (mis-)calculated gobs of insulin).

It's 17 weeks after I went keto (I was ketotic from at most day 4, when my urine strips arrived).
A, B, C, D, E below are included for completeness, but can be ignored unless you are someone who is interested in unremarkable experiences.
A) I stuck very well to a limit of 30g net carbs and less well to a limit of 125g protein. I was surprised when I made a graph of protein limit breaks that there had been so many. BUT there were only 4 days when I was not in ketosis, maybe because the breaks were caused by pre-bedtime binges (biggest binges: +50% over the protein limit and, sometimes even that has not stopped me registering ketosis before breakfast.)
B) I do not feel any better than before keto (actually worse, see below). I still crave more food, but that may have improved somewhat and doesn't matter too much (normally, I was a grazer, always waiting for my next snack, and didn't eat regular meals, but I've kept to the keto discipline). (I used to have 2 guaranteed' ways of making myself feel good. Both involved shortening my usual endurance exercise by a considerable amount and then 'going for it'. When I finished my shower I would feel refreshed, clear, sharp, just great. This is how I interpret people's feelings of well-being from keto. It would be a wonderful bonus.
C) Cholesterol has doubled. Not prepared to worry at the mo' and I'm trying to get tests to clarify whether my LDL is as bad as conventional medicine would say it is.
D) My self-monitored BP has certainly not improved. It may have deteriorated slightly.
E) At times, I have suffered from quite a lot of nausea, unpleasant and demotivating/debilitating exercise-wise, but that seems to have been fixed several weeks ago by giving up avocados (200g - 500g/day with very low net carbs and protein; but they contain a fair amount of Omega-6 and maybe that was the villain - it's warned about in soybean oil by Steve Phinney (SP)).
A detailed breakdown of diet plus 2 Boots A-Z multi-vits, magnesium citrate tablets, (salmon and) Omega-3 capsules against the RDI/RDA plus SP recommendations re minerals, convinces me my pretty much unvarying menu satisfies the requirements (wholefoods for sure, minimal microwaving and frying with olive oil/butter. It's hardly what you would call cooking as such, and very boring for most, but it works for me (?)).

Very importantly, my HbA1c is reduced to 42 - much, much better (and disproves over-optimistic readings I got from both Abbott CGM and A1CNow - they were mutually consistent but my SD Codefree was right!).

The following add up to an inability to continue the diet without help.
Despite ensuring I get at least 10g Salt (4+g sodium) and 3-4g potassium spread throughout the day, but usually including a substantial boost before exercise, I more often than not cannot exercise strenuously or, since I just feel **** as soon as I get on the treadmill, at any worthwhile energy level at all. Sometimes it works for a couple of days and then I'll be back to giving up for a couple of days. This matters a lot to me and is a deal-breaker.
In fact, I maybe did better in the earlier weeks (4g - 6g/day and when I was expecting keto flu) than now, despite not making the effort to increase salt and potassium wholeheartedly until about 6-7 weeks ago. Depending on which publication you read by Steve Phinney (SP, below) and/or which video of his you watch, you shouldn't really increase your salt if you have hypertension, should compromise on 7g salt fir hypertensives, or go for at least 10g.

Prior to keto, maybe a few times a week at most, I would register faintness for a few seconds when suddenly getting up from a chair or from doing up my shoelaces ('postural hypertension', maybe). That now happens every day, lasts longer sometimes and sometimes merges with/develops into (?) the following feeling.

I get a feeling that, at its mildest, feels like a light covering has been placed gently over the whole of the top of my skull. At the time, you might think that it was nothing much but that it would develop into a headache (it doesn't). However, even if I don't have it to start with, if I go out and do some very light gardening for 45 minutes (e.g. some gentle weeding), when I (straighten up and) walk back to the house, it will be noticeably worse and I don't feel good. Unless it improves, and often it doesn't, I won't even attempt 'proper' strenuous exercise (because I would feel rubbish, demotivated and fatigued before a few minutes had elapsed). I have very good powers of concentration, so if I get into doing purely brain work (like writing this) it doesn't bother me (but it's still there). And it doesn't deteriorate if I go for a walk.

Conclusion: I cannot tolerate feeling rubbish and being unable to exercise strenuously and will have to give up keto if I need to. It will be a very big blow if I do, but I must try to regain my fitness - at least for next year's holiday if I can't go this year, and I can probably keep down to a mid-40s HbA1c by (guess) a 130g carbs/ 200g protein diet. (But what about my grandchild?).
Maybe in due course my GP would be able to help if I can persuade him that his other patients could benefit from keto, but not till Covid-19 subsides.
Maybe you have good suggestions (please)?

If you've read this far, wow!
TIA, John

post edited By moderator for language In accordance with forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I have been keto for around 7 years now. Fitter, stronger, healthier now than 10 maybe 20 years ago, and have much more energy than I used to. But I have no energy when my BG levels are low. As soon as they dip in the low 4s, I have no energy at all, get feint on standing up. You don’t mention your daytime BG levels. Maybe worth checking out. Took me about 3 months of keto before I really started to see strong benefits. No way would I go back to running on carbs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem very thorough in your analysis. Some points that spring out to me as unmentioned. Fats. What’s happening with these? If you aren’t fuelling your body with carbs and have placed limits on protein you’ll need to get your energy from fats. Are you? What’s happening with weight? Daily blood glucose levels, particularly those taken when you feel “off”? What about fluids? You need more on keto. some of these effects could be dehydration. And magnesium along with the potassium?

I never got any sudden whoosh of energy. Just a gradual feeling of less rubbish.

Very important to get the full cholesterol figures. It could be it’s the hdl that’s gone up. What have trigs done, and ratios? If losing weight then this needs to settle first before accurate representation of you not just the lipids heading for the exits via the blood. Even if ldl is higher which type, small dense (Bad) or large buoyant (protective)? Was it fasted, for how long?

self monitored BP and light headed spells seem contradictory possibly. Again consider fluids.

And your granddaughter has a different condition. Whilst there are overlaps in symptoms and treatments they are still different. You are already setting the example by showing determination in trying to control your levels with the tools you have and not sitting idly by watching them rise without efforts. And you are succeeding, just fine tuning!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following a diet you can keep to is more important than trying to achieve some very low HbA1c . I have about 75g of carbs a day which keeps my HbA1c below 40 without medication, at that level I can eat a varied and interesting diet that I can easily keep to for the rest of my life, no burn-out and no side effects. You seem to be over thinking everything and making it all too complicated. I am sure your grandchild would be more likely to follow the example of someone laid-back and moderate rather than someone struggling with keto.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, At the risk of getting no replies at all, I'm making this long post because i) I can't explain any quicker and ii) I'm desperate.
A month before I completed a 12 week transition (starting at HbA1c 47) into a ketogenic diet, I wrote:
Hi, I'm 73 yo, male with T2D since late 2013 diagnosis, diet controlled but only just, BMI 22.5 and don't need to lose weight. BP controlled to less than 140/80 by 5mg Amlodipine and cholesterol controlled at 4-5 by 20 mg statin; lifelong asthmatic, controlled well by drugs.
I get plenty of exercise, in excess of 5 x 30 mins strenuous sessions per week.

Why did I go keto? To reinstate myself firmly into the low prediabetes HbA1c range, preferably better, and to be a credible, live example, to my son and D-in-Law who have a T1D teenage daughter, that BG can be controlled (maybe not till she's out of the headstrong teenager stage and definitely at the cost implied by recognising she can't eat just what she likes and maintain stability with (mis-)calculated gobs of insulin).

It's 17 weeks after I went keto (I was ketotic from at most day 4, when my urine strips arrived).
A, B, C, D, E below are included for completeness, but can be ignored unless you are someone who is interested in unremarkable experiences.
A) I stuck very well to a limit of 30g net carbs and less well to a limit of 125g protein. I was surprised when I made a graph of protein limit breaks that there had been so many. BUT there were only 4 days when I was not in ketosis, maybe because the breaks were caused by pre-bedtime binges (biggest binges: +50% over the protein limit and, sometimes even that has not stopped me registering ketosis before breakfast.)
B) I do not feel any better than before keto (actually worse, see below). I still crave more food, but that may have improved somewhat and doesn't matter too much (normally, I was a grazer, always waiting for my next snack, and didn't eat regular meals, but I've kept to the keto discipline). (I used to have 2 guaranteed' ways of making myself feel good. Both involved shortening my usual endurance exercise by a considerable amount and then 'going for it'. When I finished my shower I would feel refreshed, clear, sharp, just great. This is how I interpret people's feelings of well-being from keto. It would be a wonderful bonus.
C) Cholesterol has doubled. Not prepared to worry at the mo' and I'm trying to get tests to clarify whether my LDL is as bad as conventional medicine would say it is.
D) My self-monitored BP has certainly not improved. It may have deteriorated slightly.
E) At times, I have suffered from quite a lot of nausea, unpleasant and demotivating/debilitating exercise-wise, but that seems to have been fixed several weeks ago by giving up avocados (200g - 500g/day with very low net carbs and protein; but they contain a fair amount of Omega-6 and maybe that was the villain - it's warned about in soybean oil by Steve Phinney (SP)).
A detailed breakdown of diet plus 2 Boots A-Z multi-vits, magnesium citrate tablets, (salmon and) Omega-3 capsules against the RDI/RDA plus SP recommendations re minerals, convinces me my pretty much unvarying menu satisfies the requirements (wholefoods for sure, minimal microwaving and frying with olive oil/butter. It's hardly what you would call cooking as such, and very boring for most, but it works for me (?)).

Very importantly, my HbA1c is reduced to 42 - much, much better (and disproves over-optimistic readings I got from both Abbott CGM and A1CNow - they were mutually consistent but my SD Codefree was right!).

The following add up to an inability to continue the diet without help.
Despite ensuring I get at least 10g Salt (4+g sodium) and 3-4g potassium spread throughout the day, but usually including a substantial boost before exercise, I more often than not cannot exercise strenuously or, since I just feel cr*p as soon as I get on the treadmill, at any worthwhile energy level at all. Sometimes it works for a couple of days and then I'll be back to giving up for a couple of days. This matters a lot to me and is a deal-breaker.
In fact, I maybe did better in the earlier weeks (4g - 6g/day and when I was expecting keto flu) than now, despite not making the effort to increase salt and potassium wholeheartedly until about 6-7 weeks ago. Depending on which publication you read by Steve Phinney (SP, below) and/or which video of his you watch, you shouldn't really increase your salt if you have hypertension, should compromise on 7g salt fir hypertensives, or go for at least 10g.

Prior to keto, maybe a few times a week at most, I would register faintness for a few seconds when suddenly getting up from a chair or from doing up my shoelaces ('postural hypertension', maybe). That now happens every day, lasts longer sometimes and sometimes merges with/develops into (?) the following feeling.

I get a feeling that, at its mildest, feels like a light covering has been placed gently over the whole of the top of my skull. At the time, you might think that it was nothing much but that it would develop into a headache (it doesn't). However, even if I don't have it to start with, if I go out and do some very light gardening for 45 minutes (e.g. some gentle weeding), when I (straighten up and) walk back to the house, it will be noticeably worse and I don't feel good. Unless it improves, and often it doesn't, I won't even attempt 'proper' strenuous exercise (because I would feel rubbish, demotivated and fatigued before a few minutes had elapsed). I have very good powers of concentration, so if I get into doing purely brain work (like writing this) it doesn't bother me (but it's still there). And it doesn't deteriorate if I go for a walk.

Conclusion: I cannot tolerate feeling rubbish and being unable to exercise strenuously and will have to give up keto if I need to. It will be a very big blow if I do, but I must try to regain my fitness - at least for next year's holiday if I can't go this year, and I can probably keep down to a mid-40s HbA1c by (guess) a 130g carbs/ 200g protein diet. (But what about my grandchild?).
Maybe in due course my GP would be able to help if I can persuade him that his other patients could benefit from keto, but not till Covid-19 subsides.
Maybe you have good suggestions (please)?

If you've read this far, wow!
TIA, John
I'm with @HSSS : if you exercise, you need protein. Lots of it. Builds muscle after all. And if you cut protein, as well as carbs, how are the fats doing? You have to burn SOMETHING. Otherwise it's no surprise you're feeling horrible. Anyone would, being malnourished and all. You can supplement all you like, but if you're starving your body of fuel, any kind of it, that's no good. What are you eating? Can you believe it, you mention it being so long you might not get any answers, and we're complaining that you didn't write enough! ;)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
+1 on the protein, I’m actually supplementing with zero carb whey. If fact I initially thought it would kick me out of keto, but it hasn’t.

Need to feel good though, have you talked with your doctor about other possibilities, I.e, low T?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following a diet you can keep to is more important than trying to achieve some very low HbA1c . I have about 75g of carbs a day which keeps my HbA1c below 40 without medication, at that level I can eat a varied and interesting diet that I can easily keep to for the rest of my life, no burn-out and no side effects. You seem to be over thinking everything and making it all too complicated. I am sure your grandchild would be more likely to follow the example of someone laid-back and moderate rather than someone struggling with keto.
I agree entirely about sustainability, but it’s much easier and varied to do that at sub 40mmol and at 75g carbs than it is to be getting 40’s or even 50’s and already at only 20g or 30g.

johnb46

HSSS, LaoDan, JoKalsBeek, Mr_Pot, bulkbiker, and IanDP: Thank you for so much interest and encouragement. Some of the questions overlap, so I am going to take the liberty of answering them all at once.

My weight is stable and I'm happy with it.
It's a 'proper' keto diet with 77+% fat (I ignore the fat I use for frying, perhaps 2-5% extra). Last 7 days were (Carbs/Protein/Fats) of (18g/124g/221g(+oliveoil)), = 3%/20%/77+% .
The relatively high protein is because I like it (not because of resistance training; my strenuous exercise is walking continuously up a steep slope on a treadmill). Before I knew about gluconeogenesis, I used to eat 200g - 300g protein/day.

Ketones: usually between 0.5 and 1 before breakfast; can be as high as around 2 by mid-morning; once they've reached around 2, they probably stay there unless I exercise, in which case they may go to the low 3's. Mostly, these values are from urine strips, but I occasionally double-check using an eBketone meter.

BG: Fasting BG last time was 6.3 (9.30a.m. - 12+ hours since eating; it would have been higher at 7.30a.m.; that's just the way my BG goes). On this diet, my BG according to Abbot is between 6 and 7.5 during the day, unless I exercise when it goes down to 4.5 at lowest, but usually stays in the 5's. Overnight Abbot said it goes lower still, but not all the way to 4. So that gives you an idea of my BG profile being pretty unsurprising and steady. As I say, the Abbot underestimates at least the bigger numbers and predicted 33-35 for HbA1c. My SD Codefree meter looks more convincing, and it would say I vary between 5.5 and 9 during the day, when not exercising; but I don't use it even once a week normally (I used it a lot when I was checking the Abbot, of course).

Exercise. I actually aim for at least 5 times a week, if I have the time: 30 mins aerobic in the a.m. and 60 mins hard (max heart rate 150-160) in the p.m. If busy, then just 30 mins hard in the p.m. I walk uphill on a treadmill at about 4kph - osteoarthritic knee prevents running, these days. Although I was doing resistance work as well during the autumn, it aggravates my osteoarthritis too much.

Cholesterol: I reported incompletely. Total 8.0, HDL 2.75, Trigs 1.1, LDL 4.8 after 12+ hours' fast. December Total was 4.4, HDL was 1.44 - no other values provided. I am hoping to arrange a detailed analysis of this sort of stuff (is that a full lipid panel?) but I believe I won't be able to get it till GPs, clinics, etc. get back to work.
Drugs: I take 20mg Atorvastatin for the (previous level of) cholesterol and am asking for justification for any hike; 5mg Amlodipine (BP) pills and asthma inhalers (SereFlo, Flixotide, Ventolin)

Fluids: Consumption has not obviously changed. For many years I have been a very frequent visitor of the toilet to pee. I don't seem to go any more now than before with one very noticeable difference: For at least 10 years, I have woken up every 90 minutes or so at night and needed to go. But the volume was tiny, despite the intensity of feeling. This didn't change after diagnosis, despite better BG levels. I now wake up the same as before (after weeks of even worse sleep than I normally get) and each time pee a fair amount. I drink maybe as much as a litre of diet lemonade overnight, probably somewhat more than pre-keto, and 2 litres+ of coffee (mainly decaff) and lemonade during the day. If I exercise, the diet lemonade increases substantially during the day. I could be over-hydrated, I suppose, but not dehydrated, surely. Overnight, dehydration (caused by omitting to rehydrate enough after exercise) gives me a headache and I haven't had any headaches.

Minerals: I recently switched from magnesium oxide to mag citrate as a better form of the mineral and the quantity is well into the magnesium range noted by SP in the Low Carb Performance companion to Art & Science of ... Living. I use 50/50 sodium/potassium chloride salt to boost my potassium intake to SP's recommended level (3g - 4g/day) and regular salt for the rest.
I take 2.3g salt and 1g 50/50 an hour before exercise.

Oops, the numbers remind me. Somebody said about getting hung up on numbers. I was a scientist and we like numbers. I try to keep them sufficiently accurate without attributing undue significance to them.
Laid back? Nobody ever mistook me for laid back, I'm afraid; something tells me that won't change. Diet Doctor (and LowCarbDownUnder) shows me that T1Ds can do very well on keto. Not sure if Virta has published its experience helping T1Ds.

Takeaways:
Be patient, focus on the positive. Impatient pessimist as I am, a simple message that I needed, thank you.
Check/investigate BG and BP after exercise (incl. after abandoning exercise) and when feeling rubbish
Check BP when I get that faintness feeling.
Appropriate blood tests are required to give confidence that electrolyes / hydration are OK and understand if LDL (or whatever) is a problem.

Hypothesis (I don't understand enough to know whether this even makes sense): my exercise stresses my core, but 30 mins is insufficient to exhaust my glycogen stores and concurrent glucose generation from protein. So my body has not been starved enough of glucose to resort to burning ketones and has not keto-adapted. But, surely, many people adapt without much strenuous exercise at all? Moreover, for whatever reason, I am finding that my calves are immediately tingly/achy upon starting exercise; that sounds like they are stressed and is unusual.

One thing I could try is to go to 90g protein (1.5g/kilo) or a bit lower and reduce the glucose generated from protein. I would find that really difficult, but I found it difficult getting this low. It would be easier to attempt if I knew I'm not keto-adapted and there were a real expectation of an improvement.
Thank you for your help, John

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HSSS, LaoDan, JoKalsBeek, Mr_Pot, bulkbiker, and IanDP: Thank you for so much interest and encouragement. Some of the questions overlap, so I am going to take the liberty of answering them all at once.

My weight is stable and I'm happy with it.
It's a 'proper' keto diet with 77+% fat (I ignore the fat I use for frying, perhaps 2-5% extra). Last 7 days were (Carbs/Protein/Fats) of (18g/124g/221g(+oliveoil)), = 3%/20%/77+% .
The relatively high protein is because I like it (not because of resistance training; my strenuous exercise is walking continuously up a steep slope on a treadmill). Before I knew about gluconeogenesis, I used to eat 200g - 300g protein/day.

Ketones: usually between 0.5 and 1 before breakfast; can be as high as around 2 by mid-morning; once they've reached around 2, they probably stay there unless I exercise, in which case they may go to the low 3's. Mostly, these values are from urine strips, but I occasionally double-check using an eBketone meter.

BG: Fasting BG last time was 6.3 (9.30a.m. - 12+ hours since eating; it would have been higher at 7.30a.m.; that's just the way my BG goes). On this diet, my BG according to Abbot is between 6 and 7.5 during the day, unless I exercise when it goes down to 4.5 at lowest, but usually stays in the 5's. Overnight Abbot said it goes lower still, but not all the way to 4. So that gives you an idea of my BG profile being pretty unsurprising and steady. As I say, the Abbot underestimates at least the bigger numbers and predicted 33-35 for HbA1c. My SD Codefree meter looks more convincing, and it would say I vary between 5.5 and 9 during the day, when not exercising; but I don't use it even once a week normally (I used it a lot when I was checking the Abbot, of course).

Exercise. I actually aim for at least 5 times a week, if I have the time: 30 mins aerobic in the a.m. and 60 mins hard (max heart rate 150-160) in the p.m. If busy, then just 30 mins hard in the p.m. I walk uphill on a treadmill at about 4kph - osteoarthritic knee prevents running, these days. Although I was doing resistance work as well during the autumn, it aggravates my osteoarthritis too much.

Cholesterol: I reported incompletely. Total 8.0, HDL 2.75, Trigs 1.1, LDL 4.8 after 12+ hours' fast. December Total was 4.4, HDL was 1.44 - no other values provided. I am hoping to arrange a detailed analysis of this sort of stuff (is that a full lipid panel?) but I believe I won't be able to get it till GPs, clinics, etc. get back to work.
Drugs: I take 20mg Atorvastatin for the (previous level of) cholesterol and am asking for justification for any hike; 5mg Amlodipine (BP) pills and asthma inhalers (SereFlo, Flixotide, Ventolin)

Fluids: Consumption has not obviously changed. For many years I have been a very frequent visitor of the toilet to pee. I don't seem to go any more now than before with one very noticeable difference: For at least 10 years, I have woken up every 90 minutes or so at night and needed to go. But the volume was tiny, despite the intensity of feeling. This didn't change after diagnosis, despite better BG levels. I now wake up the same as before (after weeks of even worse sleep than I normally get) and each time pee a fair amount. I drink maybe as much as a litre of diet lemonade overnight, probably somewhat more than pre-keto, and 2 litres+ of coffee (mainly decaff) and lemonade during the day. If I exercise, the diet lemonade increases substantially during the day. I could be over-hydrated, I suppose, but not dehydrated, surely. Overnight, dehydration (caused by omitting to rehydrate enough after exercise) gives me a headache and I haven't had any headaches.

Minerals: I recently switched from magnesium oxide to mag citrate as a better form of the mineral and the quantity is well into the magnesium range noted by SP in the Low Carb Performance companion to Art & Science of ... Living. I use 50/50 sodium/potassium chloride salt to boost my potassium intake to SP's recommended level (3g - 4g/day) and regular salt for the rest.
I take 2.3g salt and 1g 50/50 an hour before exercise.

Oops, the numbers remind me. Somebody said about getting hung up on numbers. I was a scientist and we like numbers. I try to keep them sufficiently accurate without attributing undue significance to them.
Laid back? Nobody ever mistook me for laid back, I'm afraid; something tells me that won't change. Diet Doctor (and LowCarbDownUnder) shows me that T1Ds can do very well on keto. Not sure if Virta has published its experience helping T1Ds.

Takeaways:
Be patient, focus on the positive. Impatient pessimist as I am, a simple message that I needed, thank you.
Check/investigate BG and BP after exercise (incl. after abandoning exercise) and when feeling rubbish
Check BP when I get that faintness feeling.
Appropriate blood tests are required to give confidence that electrolyes / hydration are OK and understand if LDL (or whatever) is a problem.

Hypothesis (I don't understand enough to know whether this even makes sense): my exercise stresses my core, but 30 mins is insufficient to exhaust my glycogen stores and concurrent glucose generation from protein. So my body has not been starved enough of glucose to resort to burning ketones and has not keto-adapted. But, surely, many people adapt without much strenuous exercise at all? Moreover, for whatever reason, I am finding that my calves are immediately tingly/achy upon starting exercise; that sounds like they are stressed and is unusual.

One thing I could try is to go to 90g protein (1.5g/kilo) or a bit lower and reduce the glucose generated from protein. I would find that really difficult, but I found it difficult getting this low. It would be easier to attempt if I knew I'm not keto-adapted and there were a real expectation of an improvement.
Thank you for your help, John
Hi John,

Here, there is no such thing as too much information. I tend to drown in numbers, but looking at your cholesterol ratio's, I think they're pretty good. The total may be borderline high, but the ratio's are looking good to me. Mind you, when you are a diabetic, the odds are you also have non alcoholic fatty liver disease, diagnosed or no (they don't always look for it). When you start keto, your cholesterol numbers go up as the fat starts melting off your liver, when it is on its way out. So once that's done, your cholesterol should go back down again. Okay, that said, there's two things that jump out at me: You're on statins. The symptoms you describe, the fatigue, headaches, muscle pain/weakness and whatnot, are actually in the leaflet for atorvastatin, on top of them raising blood sugars. So that's something to consider. ( https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.2345.pdf ). Also, you're on quite a variety of steroids for your asthma. Just wanted to point out that steroids raise blood sugars. I know you need them, (I have ventolin myself, and prednison eyedrops every now and again) but between being on steroids and statins, it is a small miracle you've gotten your blood sugars down the way you have. So yay, you! Just see whether you can do without the statins.... Two weeks or so without them as a experiment might make quite the difference. With your GP's okay, of course.

I don't do much exercise at all. A walk of between 3 and 7 km rough estimate mind you, once or twice a week, with some heavy camera gear. Nothing to write home about, really. So I think you MIGHT be barking up the wrong tree with the diet, and should be looking at the statins as a possible culprit for the wretched way you're feeling. (So you might be overthinking it. The answer could be as simple as ditching one single tablet.)
If I'm wrong I really hope someone'll correct me though!
Jo

Reactions: lessci

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All good comments above. :)

All I can add is that just because you are taking supplements does not guarantee that you are absorbing them.

I discovered that my digestive tract wasn’t absorbing enough magnesium or B12, even though I was supplementing plenty.
When I switched to sub lingual liquid delivery of B12, my deficiency disappeared.
And when I switched to rubbing magnesium oil into my legs, my sleep improved dramatically (bad sleep/insomnia is a common sign of magnesium deficiency).

would this work for you? No idea! But may be worth considering. I gave up on multi mins and vits years ago. Generic ones have the cheapest, likely the least bio-available ingredients possible. Nowadays I buy specific, naturally sourced, whenever possible, from v reputable brands - and definitely feel better for it.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: HSSS

johnb46

Hi John,

Here, there is no such thing as too much information. I tend to drown in numbers, but looking at your cholesterol ratio's, I think they're pretty good. The total may be borderline high, but the ratio's are looking good to me. Mind you, when you are a diabetic, the odds are you also have non alcoholic fatty liver disease, diagnosed or no (they don't always look for it). When you start keto, your cholesterol numbers go up as the fat starts melting off your liver, when it is on its way out. So once that's done, your cholesterol should go back down again. Okay, that said, there's two things that jump out at me: You're on statins. The symptoms you describe, the fatigue, headaches, muscle pain/weakness and whatnot, are actually in the leaflet for atorvastatin, on top of them raising blood sugars. So that's something to consider. ( https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.2345.pdf ). Also, you're on quite a variety of steroids for your asthma. Just wanted to point out that steroids raise blood sugars. I know you need them, (I have ventolin myself, and prednison eyedrops every now and again) but between being on steroids and statins, it is a small miracle you've gotten your blood sugars down the way you have. So yay, you! Just see whether you can do without the statins.... Two weeks or so without them as a experiment might make quite the difference. With your GP's okay, of course.

I don't do much exercise at all. A walk of between 3 and 7 km rough estimate mind you, once or twice a week, with some heavy camera gear. Nothing to write home about, really. So I think you MIGHT be barking up the wrong tree with the diet, and should be looking at the statins as a possible culprit for the wretched way you're feeling. (So you might be overthinking it. The answer could be as simple as ditching one single tablet.)
If I'm wrong I really hope someone'll correct me though!
Jo
Hi Jo, thank you. I was convinced when my blood glucose deteriorated a couple of years ago - inexplicably a few months after a good HbA1c followed 2 weeks later by a doubling of the statins dose (20mg=>40mg, gratuitously, I thought, and for nothing to do with all this). I stopped statins completely for 6 months, but it made no difference to my BG, and I agreed to go back to my original dose as a compromise. Maybe it just was coincidence - medical science is all so much more complex than the chemistry I used to do in the 60s.
I should have said I also take prednisalone every year or two or three, when I have a particularly bed chest infection. So there may be a cumulative effect from the regular inhalers and/or those. However, stopping the inhalers and their emergency support is not an option, as you can appreciate.

johnb46

All good comments above. :)

All I can add is that just because you are taking supplements does not guarantee that you are absorbing them.

I discovered that my digestive tract wasn’t absorbing enough magnesium or B12, even though I was supplementing plenty.
When I switched to sub lingual liquid delivery of B12, my deficiency disappeared.
And when I switched to rubbing magnesium oil into my legs, my sleep improved dramatically (bad sleep/insomnia is a common sign of magnesium deficiency).

would this work for you? No idea! But may be worth considering. I gave up on multi mins and vits years ago. Generic ones have the cheapest, likely the least bio-available ingredients possible. Nowadays I buy specific, naturally sourced, whenever possible, from v reputable brands - and definitely feel better for it.

Hope that helps.
Hi Brunneria, thanks for that.
Did you discover your B12/magnesium issues through a diagnostic test? As noted, I am waiting to get a mega-blood test if/when I can, via my GP or one of those private outfits that advertise on the web. Whether such a thing will answer my questions and/or turn out to be useful, I shall have to wait and see.
John

johnb46

Was any reason given for this apart from "diabetes"?
Hi bulkbiker,
The reason was 'Better safe than sorry' (my paraphrase) and it resulted from a set of screening tests for heart disease. They found nothing unusual/nothing of concern. Since the following deterioration of BG control (of unproven origin, I have to admit) I've become somewhat more bolshy in these matters. I expect that i shall still get caught out sometime in future by too much faith in doctors.
J

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @johnb46,

Just a couple of thoughts regarding the points you mentioned ...

Frequent dizziness when getting up and standing ... is it possible that your blood pressure has reduced with keto? (This would not be unusual.) I actually experience the same, especially if the weather gets hotter. Might worthwhile to measure blood pressure when you start standing up. Personally, I've seen blood diastolic blood pressure drop to slightly over 60. If this is the case, might be worthwhile talking to your GP about dropping the blood pressure medication.

High cholesterol after starting keto with low weight and frequent exercise -- Have you had a look at the discussion of Lean Mass Hyper Responders on Dave Feldman's website. Here's a link https://cholesterolcode.com/lmhr/. I think this might apply to you.

Protein intake -- It might be worth having a look at this video

Good luck on your journey and hope you'll figure out what will work for you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bulkbiker,
The reason was 'Better safe than sorry' (my paraphrase) and it resulted from a set of screening tests for heart disease. They found nothing unusual/nothing of concern. Since the following deterioration of BG control (of unproven origin, I have to admit) I've become somewhat more bolshy in these matters. I expect that i shall still get caught out sometime in future by too much faith in doctors.
J

In that case why bother with them?

You might find this thread interesting (although quite long and involved..)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria, thanks for that.
Did you discover your B12/magnesium issues through a diagnostic test? As noted, I am waiting to get a mega-blood test if/when I can, via my GP or one of those private outfits that advertise on the web. Whether such a thing will answer my questions and/or turn out to be useful, I shall have to wait and see.
John

my doc wasn't helpful about Agreeing to vit D tests (So I paid privately and found I was severely deficient)
So later on, I just went straight to the private tests for folate (v deficient), B12 (deficient), Vit D (just monitoring now I know I need 4,000 units a day to stay at optimal levels).
I haven’t tested for Magnesium. The usual test is (IMHO) a waste of time because it tests mag in the blood. The true test of magnesium is how much you have in the cells, which needs a biopsy. The body preserves mag in the blood by leaching it out of the cells, then it uses the blood to send the magnesium to the most desperate body parts. So blood levels can be fine, while the rest of the body may be deficient. Less than 1% of the body’s total mag is found in the bloodstream at any time.
I found this paper very informative
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6163803/

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Slightly off topic, but as a gentleman of a certain age have you had your PSA (prostate) levels tested? this could be cause your pee difficulties.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink maybe as much as a litre of diet lemonade overnight, probably somewhat more than pre-keto, and 2 litres+ of coffee (mainly decaff) and lemonade during the day.
Warning bells sound here.. both for the quantity and the "diet lemonade". I'd cut that out completely and drink when thirsty. Water or coffee unsweetened maybe with some double cream.