New diagnosis LADA

Millie74

Also, not sure why you would go into ketoaccidosis if sugars are less than 50g? I am trying to eat around 40-50g only which I think is ideal for now (hoping to get lower as time goes on). My previous hba1c was 72, but I’m still on metformin and sitagliptin (of course, that was because of my unhealthy diet but yours seems pretty healthy so I can see why your doctor would be worried about it getting higher). I ate weetabix for first two day’s but sugars went to 13 so I bought granola with yogurt which was fine with the exercise (though I have to admit I am not a fan of the yoghurt and am tempted to put in sweetener!). I’ve also had avocado toast with egg (whole grain) which had me at 9.2 after 2.5hrs. So I think I’ll stick with the granola since it keeps my sugars down and have the bread on occasion or weekends!

Millie74

Sounds like you get similar levels to me. I got 13/14 on 2 weetabix, when I first got my meter. I’m not sure I would get away with granola. Can’t have any cereal. Even 25g of porridge. Breakfast can generally be quite high, unless I stick with eggs. You do get fed up with them though. Today I had a few mixed berries in a bowl with some ground flaxseed. Was 9.5 after 2 hours. But needed something different to eggs. Get so fed up with them.

I don’t know why they would put me on insulin at 55mmol. Maybe due to age? I am 44 years old.

I would like to stay off insulin for as long as I can, just will keep trying my best to keep my weight low, exercise and low carb. When I was pregnant I felt like the insulin and blood sugar checking and hypos ruled my life. But it might not be that bad. May only be on small amounts to start off with. Don’t really know yet. She said that she won’t put me on any additional drugs, but will stay on Metformin for the PCOS as that causes insulin resistance. All very complicated.

Good luck with keeping your sugars down. Have you had the c peptide test too?

Millie74

Hi Millie, thanks so much for responding! Has given me a lot of clarity with regards to food. My sugars have been pretty bad for more or less a year, and especially during lockdown - but it’s all down to my diet as I was eating terribly and turning a blind eye by not checking for weeks on end. But since I had a shock after seeing a reading of 24 a couple of days ago, I’ve vowed to get out of my denial stage and take it seriously. I have been eating pretty healthy and as the days have gone (around 4 days now) my sugars have gotten lower each day. So for example, on Sunday 14/06, I had a chicken salad with cucumber and tomato and two hours later it was 17.7. My fasting sugar that morning was 9. But today, my fasting was 7.4 and after eating breakfast of low sugar granola with yoghurt and four raspberries it was 5.2 after 2.5hrs. Had a subway salad for lunch today with light mayo, garlic aoili and southwest and after 1.5hrs it was 6.3. This is telling me I do have enough insulin production atm and my high readings were purely down to my diet. I have also been doing ten min cardio running after every meal, so 30mins daily in total. Have to admit this takes my sugars down quickly than going on a one hour walk (which is what I used to do and did not take it down as much!). I did give in and have a peach with my dinner, which took up my sugars to 10.8 after 2hrs (even with 10min cardio running after). Though the exercise is working, I am getting frustrated at having to take three showers daily to get rid off sweat, so I’ll try your recommendation of doing muscle work outs instead and see if it has a similar effect. Let me know how your readings progress or any other exercise recommendations !

Millie74

Wow. You have put in a lot of effort with the running after each meal. Hard to sustain that. I do walk my dog after evening meal to try and help blood sugars.

Try the resistance bands or dumb bells. I follow Madfit on U Tube. She does lots of 10/20 minute workouts. She is a good instructor. Best one I have found for quick workouts. I don’t know if will work for you like running, but give it a go.

Millie74

Also, not sure why you would go into ketoaccidosis if sugars are less than 50g? I am trying to eat around 40-50g only which I think is ideal for now (hoping to get lower as time goes on). My previous hba1c was 72, but I’m still on metformin and sitagliptin (of course, that was because of my unhealthy diet but yours seems pretty healthy so I can see why your doctor would be worried about it getting higher). I ate weetabix for first two day’s but sugars went to 13 so I bought granola with yogurt which was fine with the exercise (though I have to admit I am not a fan of the yoghurt and am tempted to put in sweetener!). I’ve also had avocado toast with egg (whole grain) which had me at 9.2 after 2.5hrs. So I think I’ll stick with the granola since it keeps my sugars down and have the bread on occasion or weekends!

Sharon12 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I'm less than a year after diagnosis as type 1
Total shock. Doesnt run in family
I was put straight on to Insulin..scary but totally necessary.
For me I got a libre straight away. Recommended by consultant. I self funded to start with. Now have it on the NHS. I couldn't do without it. It eases so much anxiety associated with low sugars. Have you thought of having some sort of cgm?

Reactions: OrsonKartt