Is it possible to have type 1 diabetes with normal fasting glucose levels?

LaTorre6

I have been very thirsty for days and I often go to the bathroom. yesterday I had a fasting blood and urine test. The glycemia gave normal values, but the acetonuria was high. Would it be possible to have type 1 diabetes?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have been very thirsty for days and I often go to the bathroom. yesterday I had a fasting blood and urine test. The glycemia gave normal values, but the acetonuria was high. Would it be possible to have type 1 diabetes?

Nobody here can diagnose you but sudden onset T1 diabetes is usually defined by high glucose levels, thirst, extreme tiredness, uncontrolled weight loss and the presence of ketones in urine.

From what you've told us, I'd say diabetes is possible but it could also be other illnesses. What are your glucose levels like, 2 hrs after eating a normal meal?

Best get yourself to a doctor as soon as you can for a proper diagnosis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A fasting blood test never tells you much. If your urine has issues on test then that does need investigation. It sounds like the GP might want to do an HBa1C and do a lab test of a urine sample that we all have at least once a year.

iblamedan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, needles and blood
I'm 35 and was went to docs for similar thing. I was sent to hospital and stayed for a few days on drips as i was in diabetic ketoacidosis and type 1 diabetic! Must have brushed symptoms off for at least 3 months!