Ketones and carbs - need help!

cevans1

Hi everyone, I am new the forum and hoping to get a bit of help. I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with GD since 12 weeks. I'm currently diet and excercise controlled and keen to keep it that way as long as I'm able (I know that it can go beyond my control as the insulin resistance ramps up), but finding the advice from the dietcian and diabetes nurse to be unhelpful. For note I had it with my last pregnancy (hence the early diagnosis) and was diet and exercise controlled through that.

Today I had my wee tested and it showed ketones, which they said indicates I'm burning fat and not eating enough carborhydrates. I feel I'm eating a reasonable amount, but they won't give me a guide on what weights to strive for in grams per meal which doesn't help me judge, they just say "medium sized new potatoes" or "a quarter of your plate", but these terms are really subjective depending on how big your plate is, how big your spuds are etc. Can anyone say what they go with? I understand that everyone is different, but a general guide that I could tinker with would be great.

I also asked if it would help for me to eat some carborhydrate snacks paired with some good fats or protein throughout the day, so that I can have lots of regular carb top ups to avoid spiking my blood sugar, but they just said eating fats would raise my cholesterol (which is low if anything), so again not very helpful!

They just kept saying things like "You shouldn't be restricting the amount of carbs you eat, just cut down on sugar - if you can't tolerate carbs you'll just have to go on medication it doesn't mean you've failed, you just need it." For me it's not about "failing", there's no stigma about needing medication and of course I would take it for the sake of the baby and me if needed; it's more about trying to avoid a medication in a way that could be doable with the right diet advice - does anyone have experience with this and have any pearls of wisdom to share?!

Sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance :)

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I am new the forum and hoping to get a bit of help. I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with GD since 12 weeks. I'm currently diet and excercise controlled and keen to keep it that way as long as I'm able (I know that it can go beyond my control as the insulin resistance ramps up), but finding the advice from the dietcian and diabetes nurse to be unhelpful. For note I had it with my last pregnancy (hence the early diagnosis) and was diet and exercise controlled through that.

Today I had my wee tested and it showed ketones, which they said indicates I'm burning fat and not eating enough carborhydrates. I feel I'm eating a reasonable amount, but they won't give me a guide on what weights to strive for in grams per meal which doesn't help me judge, they just say "medium sized new potatoes" or "a quarter of your plate", but these terms are really subjective depending on how big your plate is, how big your spuds are etc. Can anyone say what they go with? I understand that everyone is different, but a general guide that I could tinker with would be great.

I also asked if it would help for me to eat some carborhydrate snacks paired with some good fats or protein throughout the day, so that I can have lots of regular carb top ups to avoid spiking my blood sugar, but they just said eating fats would raise my cholesterol (which is low if anything), so again not very helpful!

They just kept saying things like "You shouldn't be restricting the amount of carbs you eat, just cut down on sugar - if you can't tolerate carbs you'll just have to go on medication it doesn't mean you've failed, you just need it." For me it's not about "failing", there's no stigma about needing medication and of course I would take it for the sake of the baby and me if needed; it's more about trying to avoid a medication in a way that could be doable with the right diet advice - does anyone have experience with this and have any pearls of wisdom to share?!

Sorry for the long post!! Thanks in advance :)

I see this post is already over 11 weeks old... How did you get along? You must be around 35 weeks pregnant now. This is probably a bit late for you but there is some info here on low carb eating while pregnant https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/pregnancy

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had ketone as well, but as long as I am in nutritional ketosis, I am not worried.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
which they said indicates I'm burning fat and not eating enough carborhydrates.

They're right in that and that's about where their rightness ceases.

You might find this interesting

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/pregnancy

There is also a whole section on being ketogenic whilst pregnant on this site

https://www.ketogenicforums.com

but you have to join and make a few posts in order to be able to see it as it is in a private section (i.e. not available for the general public).

Hope those help a bit and good luck!

Mareebah99

I just joined and I live in the US. I have a similar situation- had GD on my first child and now have it on my 2nd. I’m about 22 wks pregnant and was diagnosed early like around 12 weeks. I’ve been dieting n exercising and control it very well. My daytime eating sugar levels are pretty good and almost always under 120. My fasting ones are almost always over 100. Like between 102 n 110. The dietitian n endocrinologist recommended about 2 I guess shots of insulin at dinner but they told me it was up to me.
I’m extremely conservative when it comes to taking meds and don’t feel I need to .
On my first pregnancy it was detected way later n my morning sugars were higher than now n I never took meds or insulin and the dr kept pushing to take a pill but finally stopped bc she said my levels were very low risk.
So I get these mixed signals that I’m very low risk and my sugar levels are good. But then they recommend the insulin.