Metaformin side affects this really sucks

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been on metaformin for three weeks now, just stepped up the dose as directed had some stomach issues over the last week, when these days come up I'm in a horrendous state at the time I'm sweating profusely, shaking, then left feeling weak and shattered for the rest of the day, this morning it decided to have another little adventure with me and has left my left side in pain over my kidney area, great stuff, is this all part of the process? Because tbh ive really had enough now and just wish to land face down on a bed of McDonalds then swim through a krispy kreme river, ......I know I cant and definitely WONT but I'm just fed up and in pain and having a bit of a moment, will this pass eventually? Thanks in advance x

Reactions: Buzzer81

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get in touch with your dr. Although some meds take time they shouldn’t reduce you to this and 3 weeks is longer enough you should have seen some improvement. There is a slow release version some find better. Some can’t tolerate it at all. If that’s the case you could opt for a 3 month trial of knuckling down hard of low carb and see where you get without any meds before trying others if need be.

Reactions: Spiritedgirl

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get in touch with your dr. Although some meds take time they shouldn’t reduce you to this and 3 weeks is longer enough you should have seen some improvement. There is a slow release version some find better. Some can’t tolerate it at all. If that’s the case you could opt for a 3 month trial of knuckling down hard of low carb and see where you get without any meds before trying others if need be.
Thank you I'll ring the doctors in the morning. Just had no idea if this is "normal"

Carlwhallinon

Been on metaformin for three weeks now, just stepped up the dose as directed had some stomach issues over the last week, when these days come up I'm in a horrendous state at the time I'm sweating profusely, shaking, then left feeling weak and shattered for the rest of the day, this morning it decided to have another little adventure with me and has left my left side in pain over my kidney area, great stuff, is this all part of the process? Because tbh ive really had enough now and just wish to land face down on a bed of McDonalds then swim through a krispy kreme river, ......I know I cant and definitely WONT but I'm just fed up and in pain and having a bit of a moment, will this pass eventually? Thanks in advance x

I had the same in the first few weeks , started taking some bisodol (that pink horrible stuff) . Used it to line the stomach , omeprazole is also good . Maybe your stomach acid is to blame . Failing that try eating a banana before the tablets .
Keep at at it , things will improve x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same in the first few weeks , started taking some bisodol (that pink horrible stuff) . Used it to line the stomach , omeprazole is also good . Maybe your stomach acid is to blame . Failing that try eating a banana before the tablets .
Keep at at it , things will improve x
It’s a well known side effect of metformin and effects the bowel rather than the stomach so the pink stuff is unlikely to help. Same for omprazole. And the banana, which is a bad idea for type 2 as it’s full of sugar (carbs).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I'll ring the doctors in the morning. Just had no idea if this is "normal"
No it’s not “normal”. Normal is a short period (Week or two) of adjusting after some loose bowel movements. Not what you are describing If it hasn’t settleD in a couple of weeks seek a review with a view to making changes in all likelihood. Some people suffer silently for years never realising they have choices, or even realising it’s the metformin. Sad.

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My brother recommended taking Vitamin tablets with a high amount of probiotics which had worked to get rid of his side effects when he went on Metformin. I took these When I was prescribed the medication and had no problems. Coincidence? Maybe but worth a try!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is why I have no problem in sticking to a low carb diet - I tossed the tablets after the worst month of my life and just the thought of having to take them again gives me the shudders.
I happily eat no more than 40 gm of carbs a day, and have normal blood glucose year on year.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, well... Some people can take metformin. Some people's bowels permanently explode. (I'm of the explosive variety). That's why I'm sticking to my diet, medication just doesn't seem like much of an option. On top of progression and all, and metformin not doing all that much as it is, really. As for McDonalds.... If you go in to McD's (dunno if they're open there yet, just recently opened up again here in the Netherlands), you have the option to get burgers without the bun. Go for the biggest burgers they have, tell them to leave the bun off, and believe it or not, you'll wonder why you ever had that tasteless sponge with them, because they're a lot juicier bun-less. ;) Can't help with the swimming, but at least the burgers are back on the menu. ;)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm I was on 4 metformin a day when I was diagnosed and I spent 3 months feeling on and off nauseous, occasional poopsposions, frequently no appetite at all, or hungry but really not fancying any food. Very much upper digestive tract issues. I just thought it was the keto - perhaps it was, but I think the metformin. No really awful side effects, just general low-grade uneasy stomach and weird appetite effects. Perversely, my acid reflux and general indigestion actually improved greatly over this period, I guess because of the low carb diet and weight loss.

After 3 months my next HbA1C was in the 30s so I cut the metformin by half. And I am so much better, I don’t really notice it at this dose. My appetite feels much more normal although still reduced but that IS the keto I think!

Anyway, 6 months from diagnosis I’ve just reduced it to one a day til I run out. 3 months after this I will have another HbA1C, hopefully it will still be fine.

So if you really get to grips with the low carbing it is perfectly possible to greatly reduce the dose and perhaps ditch it altogether. Metformin does not have to be forever.

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone have rung the doctors and they wont let me speak to the diabetic nurse and said the only appt they have is for 29th june with a doctor they couldnt be more unhelpful if they tried. What do I do now? receptionist wanted to know every detail of what's wrong, and then said cant help you, feel so down

Buzzer81

I started taking metformin. Played havoc with my stomach at first.... even took time off work I felt so rubbish. Eventually I stopped taking it.... that’s to diet controlled approach I have reduced hba1c from 91 (in feb) to 46 (in June). For me, I’m so glad I made that decision and almost not taking the drug helped me focus on keeping strict with diet. I had a few poor days here and there but with checking my bloods I was always on top of it. Good luck to you!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone have rung the doctors and they wont let me speak to the diabetic nurse and said the only appt they have is for 29th june with a doctor they couldnt be more unhelpful if they tried. What do I do now? receptionist wanted to know every detail of what's wrong, and then said cant help you, feel so down
I gave it up after 3 weeks of being tied to the loo.
Changed what I ate, included some intermittent fasting and never looked back.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We aren't supposed to give medical advice, but you seem to be in a bad/sad place trying to cope with taking the tablets. With no help from the surgery and mysterious aches and other symptoms - let me put it this way - having stopped taking the tablets back in 2016, there has not been a single day I regretted my decision.