No longer registered at a doctors!

Louisa1982

Well that was an interesting call! I have removed myself from the gps books, and have no plans to reregister. I have gone through hell with them and today was the final straw, I was told to meditate for a headache cause by high blood pressure! So I have asked for my medical files and to be removed from their books. I think the hardest thing though, was writing an exoneration letter to stop them being charged as I am now refusing all medical intervention. I do not believe their diagnosis about diabetes or with a host of other things they have tried, I have been nothing more than a Guinea pig! So it certainly is a brave new world for me!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I suggest that you try all your other local surgeries to attempt to get signed up with them as fast as possible.

If you have high blood pressure then you will need ongoing prescriptions for that medication.

Also suggest that you get yourself a home testing meter for your blood glucose to keep a check on it.
You may find it useful, particularly to double check your belief that you are not D.
Mix ups happen (human error) at the docs, at the laboratory, and then back at the doc's. Unfortunate, but true. The lab result you got may not have been any fault of the doc.

A couple of years ago I decided to change GPs, but I made sure that I got accepted by the new surgery before I dispensed with the old - and was sitting on the new surgery's waiting list for over 6 months before they contacted me to say 'you are in'. During that interim, I continued to get repeat prescriptions from the old doc.

Reactions: Robbity

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not believe their diagnosis about diabetes
Why not? In your other thread the numbers you quote are diabetic. Even if your GP is incompetent this doesn't mean the lab results or your own glucose tests are wrong.

Please take care of yourself!

Louisa1982

Why not? In your other thread the numbers you quote are diabetic. Even if your GP is incompetent this doesn't mean the lab results or your own glucose tests are wrong.

Please take care of yourself!
My figures have continued to go down, I ate a big bowl of rice krispies with sugar, my reading went to 4.4 mmol/l. I have been told today again it is my age that I have diabetes, so why isn't every 30 + year old diabetic? I was told to meditate via a paid ap for my mobile, to get rid of this headache, I have had for nearly 4 weeks!

Louisa1982

May I suggest that you try all your other local surgeries to attempt to get signed up with them as fast as possible.

If you have high blood pressure then you will need ongoing prescriptions for that medication.

Also suggest that you get yourself a home testing meter for your blood glucose to keep a check on it.
You may find it useful, particularly to double check your belief that you are not D.
Mix ups happen (human error) at the docs, at the laboratory, and then back at the doc's. Unfortunate, but true. The lab result you got may not have been any fault of the doc.

A couple of years ago I decided to change GPs, but I made sure that I got accepted by the new surgery before I dispensed with the old - and was sitting on the new surgery's waiting list for over 6 months before they contacted me to say 'you are in'. During that interim, I continued to get repeat prescriptions from the old doc.
Unfortunately I dont live anywhere were I could just go to another surgery, they would involve 20 + mile round trips, I dont drive, so scuppered in that respect x

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My figures have continued to go down, I ate a big bowl of rice krispies with sugar, my reading went to 4.4 mmol/l. I have been told today again it is my age that I have diabetes, so why isn't every 30 + year old diabetic? I was told to meditate via a paid ap for my mobile, to get rid of this headache, I have had for nearly 4 weeks!
In your other post you said you were told you were type 2 not type 1 based on age. A different statement than simply being diabetic due to age. Though even the first statement isn’t necessarily correct. Some drs mistakenly believe type 1 only occurs in children.

Diabetes goes hand in and with excess weight, high blood pressure, headaches etc. Stress does make all of these worse but meditating alone if numbers are very high might well not be treatment enough at least in the short term. The bp medication lowering your reading and helping the headache shows it’s required for now at least so how do you propose to get it now?

What other readings have you had? Taken when and after what food? 13mmol (from other thread) is too high if it’s 2 hrs after food - probably too high at almost anytime.

I’m sorry to say I think you are in massive denial. Many if not most of us experienced the same at diagnosis but with time and understanding have moved on from that shocked state. I certainly tried hard to find reasons why the dr was wrong initially. Being fit and active doesn’t mean it can’t happen, it can. A carb heavy diet as yours is, excess weight, high bp all fit with the diagnosis regardless of fitness.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My figures have continued to go down, I ate a big bowl of rice krispies with sugar, my reading went to 4.4 mmol/l.
You've had a hba1c of 64 two weeks ago if I understand correctly, and have been seeing numbers above 13 on your meter.

The hba1c says something about your average bg over the last 3 months. Please don't decide you don't have diabetes based on a bowl of rice krispies.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with what other have said, and if you are diabetic (which the two HbA1cs would definitely seem to suggest - less than 42 is normal) then you definitely need to be seen on at least a yearly basis for foot checks and eye checks at the very least (the eye checks are not done by the doc but you're unlikely to get them if you don't have a doc) - you don't want to go blind do you?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you realise that many T2s gain weight for years due to insulin resistance? Then finally their pancreases can't keep up and T2 is diagnosed? You really do need to be registered with a doctor

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m just wondering if your headaches are due to high blood sugar levels and/or high blood pressure, both can cause headaches. I would encourage you to register with another Dr even if it means going back to your old one with your tail between your legs or a long journey to a new one. What about regular stuff like cervical smears and flu jabs (which you’re entitled to now as a diabetic) never mind if you get ill. You’ll miss out on important things, please consider this all really carefully.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've just read your other thread. It does sound as though you've been through the mill with the medical profession and your GP sounds pretty clueless but....

For whatever reason, diabetic or not, your blood sugars have been too high over an extended period. (hba1cs look at the average of the last 3 months). This will exacerbate any kidney disease you have (it may even be its cause, but I don't know your health history).

There are two main types of diabetes, T1 and T2. T2 happens when someone is carbohydrate intolerant (think of it like someone who is gluten intolerant). Their bodies vainly overproduce insulin in order to attempt to mop up the excess sugar floating around in their blood stream but it's a vicious circle typically involving weight gain leading to more insulin resistance. Many of the T2s here break the circle and achieve normal blood sugars without medication by reducing the carbohydrate in their diet - everyone's body is different and you need a blood testing meter to discover which foods your body can cope with.

However, I am also going to talk about T1 diabetes, which can occur in people your age as well as children, but in adults it is often misdiagnosed as T2 initially. This is caused by a failure of the insulin producing cells in your body and some people can control it for a while by reducing their carbs (as it can take a while for the body to stop producing insulin altogether and obviously if you eat less carb you need less insulin). There are tests to differentiate between the two illnesses, which your doctor should have done, but didn't because he is one of those who naively misdiagnosed all late onset T1s as T2. If you have T1/LADA (not that likely because T2 is much more common) then you will need insulin eventually or you will die of diabetic ketoacidosis. (Not a pleasant way to go and you need to be aware of it if your blood sugars persist in the teens or above for a long period, as you'll need to go to hospital on a drip while they clean out your blood.)

I'm afraid I agree with the others that you may need medical intervention, particularly with the blood pressure. Can you buy a blood pressure meter as well as a glucose meter? There's plenty of advice on these forums to help you go medication free if you are T2. But you need to keep testing your blood sugars to make sure that they aren't too high, and ring the hospital if it looks as though you might be going into diabetic ketoacidosis. High blood pressure is also likely to give you headaches as well as potentially cause kidney damage., so it's best to monitor that too.

Good luck. Please be careful.

Reactions: Rachox

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Louisa1982 ,

Welcome to the forum.

I fear you may have acted a little rash ditching yer Doc.

You may see encouraging results from time to time with a meter regarding some "usual suspect" food choices for a diabetic, but unless the numbers are consistant across the board.

Your A1c from your other topic indicates a diagnosis of diabetes.
Whatever medication you have been prescribed will take a little while to adjust to, along with dietary requirements too.

The good news is you do own a meter. Though it's not totally clear how you are using it regarding the lower results you report.
You maybe having a delayed missed spike?

Don't let yourself slip through the net.
Learn, be proactive & empower yourself.

Best wishes.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm adding my voice to the chorus of concern here- that there are so many people saying the same thing is worth noting.
No-one blames you for being disillusioned at best with the medical treatment you've received so far- that part is fine.
It's just your bloods don't look quite right, so it would be worth getting some more tests done or medical advice before giving up on the whole deal. I think Jaylee's advice above looks like a good course of action for now- use your meter to get a good spread of readings. If you can test yourself before you eat to get a base figure, then test yourself two hours after, and see if you get a raise of more than 2 points or not, that would be a good start.
Good luck with it!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't particularly like doctors and stay away as much as possible. The one thing I do like them for is my annual blood tests. These help me to help myself.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately I dont live anywhere were I could just go to another surgery, they would involve 20 + mile round trips, I dont drive, so scuppered in that respect x
You do need to be listed with some surgery, somewhere.... You can't do this alone. One mistake can happen, but you've had more than one reading that put you in the diabetic range. Like it or not, you are diabetic. (Which is genetic, not age-related, but a lot of GP's do admittedly live in the dark ages.). And as others stated, a headache can be brought on both by T2 or high blood pressure. And a whole load of other things, but as those are in the cards, they're likely culprits.

I know you're angry, and rightfully so for the most part, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You need regular checks, possibly medication, and you'll have to get it from somewhere.

Please take care of yourself.
Jo

mouseee

Echoing all the above comments.

I suffer from migraines but I've never had such bad headaches as I had with high or plummeting blood sugar. Like, sobbing with pain. As soon as my blood sugar was better controlled they cleared up.

It's so important to register with a GP, if you need emergency treatment for instance. If you can bring yourself to go back to the local GP you can ask to be treated by one of the doctors you trust more.

You are obviously very angry about the situation and, I would guess, very scared too. Your health is so important- these strange days are proof of that. Take a bit of time to decide your next move.... but not too long!

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I find it upsetting that your experience has been so bad that you feel the only way forwards is to ditch your GP.

It’s not right that you feel this way and it’s not your fault. BUT the nature of this means you need to resolve the matter. As you have no other GP options you should consider building bridges with the practice.

Ask for an appointment with the manager or head partner GP. Make sure you have your points of grievances written down and tackle the problems.

Not having access to a GP has all sorts of ramifications.

Please consider this and I wish you all the very best.