Is anyone pregnant with type 1? Do you have to be shielding.....?

Type1of25years+

Just wondered what the advice people have been given if you were to be pregnant amongst the coronavirus chaos?! TTC and it’s all a bit (very!) stressful knowing how careful to be with new rules. Hospital wrote to me to say they strongly advise not to try but we felt that would break our hearts! I’ve been keeping a low profile but now just don’t know what to do - hubby wants to meet up with people. (As if planning a diabetic pregnancy isn’t stressful enough!!) Thanks for any advice!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I'm currently pregnant with T1D and have been advised to shield, they say that in early pregnancy it's unlikely you are to be more higher to catch covid 19 until later, but obviously with diabetes its puts you in the upper range due to immune system playing a massive down fall, I have regular appointments at hospital but I have to wear a mask when I go also. I would stay safe at this moment as its really not worth it. I also have a 2 year old and we have not been out during the whole thing. I also believe it depends on where you live etc as some hospitals deal with it differently to others. I've only seen my community midwife once but that was before the lock down and now it's just phone calls. Hope this helps

Type1of25years+

That’s so helpful, thank you. So sorry you’re having to shield but I hope you have a wonderful safe pregnancy :) So weird to be trying to get myself in the shielding group but there you go! Consultant yesterday said advice is no longer not to try so that’s a relief at least! :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s so helpful, thank you. So sorry you’re having to shield but I hope you have a wonderful safe pregnancy :) So weird to be trying to get myself in the shielding group but there you go! Consultant yesterday said advice is no longer not to try so that’s a relief at least! :)
It's OK I think at the end of the day, life needs to go on as no one knows how long this will go on for especially when scientists are claiming there will be a second spike. All the way through my pregnancy as I'm 26 weeks tomorrow I've been told that pregnancy doesn't put you in the higher risk till much later but its the diabetes that does, to be honest aswell even if I was told not to shield I till would as you never know if people in your life have underlining health conditions so I will just stay safe and advice everyone to do so. I think you should just continue with TTCing just long as you stay safe and I hope it happens soon for you