Doctors wont help

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm having some nasty side affect associated with metaformin, I've rung the doctors as advised on here to speak with the diabetic nurse and they wont let me speak to her or the doctor, just said we cant help. shall I just keep taking the metaformin and hope it goes away soon?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having some nasty side affect associated with metaformin, I've rung the doctors as advised on here to speak with the diabetic nurse and they wont let me speak to her or the doctor, just said we cant help. shall I just keep taking the metaformin and hope it goes away soon?

Hi,

Sorry to read your having trouble. When you say "they," would that be a receptionist, perchance..?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your blood sugars doing and how long have you been on metformin? If longer than 2 weeks, it's not likely to get better. I can't tell you to just quit the meds as that'd be giving medical advice and forum rules prohibit that. But if you forget to take them for a few days.... That'd be, you know.... Accidental and all...

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Three weeks and my sugar normally sitting around the 6 mark rising to around 7+ after I have eaten not above 8

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on metformin for years. Early Dec.6, 2019, I went off it for three months, on the doctors suggestion he said I should go back on it. I had noticed while I was off metformin my dry skin went away and so did my heartburn/acid reflux. after going back on metformin the dry skin came back and the acid reflux. I stopped metformin about 5 weeks ago and the dry skin is gone and so is the acid reflux for the most part. my A1C is now 6.1. Morning fast BG has been hitting the mid 5 mmol/l for the first time. I reached these numbers by mainly being on the LCHF diet in the last 7 months. I no longer rely on the Dr.s or medical system, research has been my best friend for this disease .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that all nhs doc surgeries are now (since April 2020) required to offer an online service.
In my surgery this is an option to send in my details, my health issue, and then wait for the surgery to get back to me with a response.

I understand you need to be signed up for online surgery access, but all surgeries are supposed to have that available too, for the last few years.

In my case, I used the online service for knee problems and was rung back by a nurse within an hour and a half, and referred to physiotherapy without having to have an appt with either nurse or doc.

worth trying, especially if it bypasses the receptionist.

Regarding Metformin: don’t put too much faith in its blood glucose lowering impact. If you make dietary changes, and self test you blood glucose, using those readings to inform your dietary choices, then you those will be much more effective than Metformin.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many people are unable to tolerate metformin, even the slow release version. Your team can only advise, they can't make you take anything.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three weeks and my sugar normally sitting around the 6 mark rising to around 7+ after I have eaten not above 8
I can say with some certainty that it's the diet you're following, not the metformin, that's responsible for those excellent numbers. Your choice of course. But I know what I'd do. ;)

Reactions: Spiritedgirl

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to ask to be changed to the Slow Release (SR) version. It is much kinder on the bowels. Your surgery is mis-behaving. They must give you phone access to a nurse or GP appointment. If they won't, demand to speak to the Practice Manager. Also if needed contact the surgery PPG (Patient Participation Group) which all surgeries must have. I'm on my surgery PPG and not being able to contact a medical person would be a cause to raise with the Practice Manager as unacceptable.

Spiritedgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone been on the phone to 111 they have a doctor calling me back, spoke to nurse provisionally and she definitely agreed it's the metaformin not agreeing with me so have a doctor calling me later by 8pm fingers crossed he can put me on a slow release one now