What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs I had never heard of Juneteenth before I read about your birthday, but I just opened Google and it is being observed there. What an odd word. Why don't people just call it the 19th of June, like the 4th of July?

Reactions: ianpspurs

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's also called freedom day and it is a national holiday in much of the US of A.

Texas was the most remote of the slave states, and the Emancipation Proclamation of January 1, 1863, was not enforced there until after the Civil War had ended. The name of the observance is a portmanteau of "June" and "nineteenth", the date of its celebration.

it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all people held as slaves in Texas were free.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Freedom Day" is a new one to me. I've never heard of it before now.

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's also called freedom day and it is a national holiday in much of the US of A.

Texas was the most remote of the slave states, and the Emancipation Proclamation of January 1, 1863, was not enforced there until after the Civil War had ended. The name of the observance is a portmanteau of "June" and "nineteenth", the date of its celebration.

it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all people held as slaves in Texas were free.

It certainly isn't a national holiday. Not on the calendar, the post office isn't closed AFAIK, except maybe in West Virginia, where it is West Virginia Day. States observe their own historical events, not usually events that happened in other individual states.

Reactions: DJC3

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
OK not a national holiday as yet but observed in many states for about 150 years.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has announced that Juneteenth - the 19 June date which marks the end of US slavery - will become an official holiday.
It comes as millions of Americans plan to commemorate, with marches and personal observances, the 1865 date when the last US slaves were freed.
Several states already observe the day as an official holiday and there is a push to declare it a national holiday.
The date's significance has grown this year amid Black Lives Matter protests.
Mayor de Blasio said in a press conference on Friday that the date would be marked as an official city holiday beginning in 2021, and will also be a public school holiday.
"We'll work with all the unions to work through the plan, give this day the importance and recognition it deserves," Mr de Blasio said. "Every city worker, every student will have the opportunity to reflect the meaning of our history and the truth."
Earlier this week, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an order making Juneteenth - also known as Emancipation Day and Freedom Day - a paid holiday for state workers.
Mr Cuomo said he would introduce legislation to make the day a holiday for all New Yorkers by 2021.

this is way off topic and we are going to get in trouble discussing it in this thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1573807922853.jpg

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I know the libre takes time to catch up so I time the tests with about a 15 minute time interval when doing a finger prick and libre reading I do the prickometer test then wait a while and then note the libre reading.

By the way I've been left with a bit of a nasty rash in the shape of a ring where the first sensor was located hope that is not going to be the norm.

I haven't ever had a reaction. I hope for you it was a one off.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone. A 5.3 greeted me on my 65th birthday - Juneteen, Bojo's birthday and either my body, libre sensor or both are rogue. Both faces of Gemini it seems. Party on dudes and dudettes.
Happy belated birthday Ian.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian if I had your (bg) numbers I would celebrate all day, every day :)
Fair point if they had any basis in reality. Think I need to be about 2 on Libre to be safe. Hugs for your higher levels lately although I would wager they are higher than your actual bg level.

Last edited: