Starting the fight back

Carlwhallinon

Hi all , I have type 2, diagnosed 2 yers ago. Things have got out of hand , a couple of weeks ago I was taken to hospital with chest pains and breathing difficulties as well as v high blood sugar levels.

I have started fighting back against this disease and as part of my fight back I’ve started uploading videos to you tube as a type of vblog.
I’m looking for people who want to fight back in an aggressive manner against type 2. I have a lot of ideas and will upload videos on various topics over the next year recording the fight back. I have named this OPERATION REVERSAL .

Have a look , interact and share with me this journey , if I can help motivate 1 person to fight back aggressively I will be delighted .
My channel is here :

Thanks for taking the time to read this .

Carl

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
Well done Carl and good luck on your journey. I’m in similar circumstances so I’ll be with you too!

Reactions: Carlwhallinon

Chiefy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D!!
Thanks mate appreciate the support
I’m also ex forces so know how you feel about this. I was in denial until I was diagnosed in March. Since then lost 25kgs and brought down my blood/sugar considerably. This is a great site for motivation and help in all sorts of questions. Your in good company matey!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all , I have type 2, diagnosed 2 yers ago. Things have got out of hand , a couple of weeks ago I was taken to hospital with chest pains and breathing difficulties as well as v high blood sugar levels.

I have started fighting back against this disease and as part of my fight back I’ve started uploading videos to you tube as a type of vblog.
I’m looking for people who want to fight back in an aggressive manner against type 2. I have a lot of ideas and will upload videos on various topics over the next year recording the fight back. I have named this OPERATION REVERSAL .

Have a look , interact and share with me this journey , if I can help motivate 1 person to fight back aggressively I will be delighted .
My channel is here :

Thanks for taking the time to read this .

Carl
Forget half a year to a year. I have a feeling you can have this beat in three months. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read, maybe get Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code (lots of free video's of his online too btw), dietdoctor.com and this place's website, diabetes.co.uk . I got myself back into the normal range relatively slow because I didn't find this place until later and it took me some time to figure things out for myself, say, three months or thereabouts, with the assistance of my meter, but... You have the advantage of being here and being able to draw knowledge from all of us. (Like there being little over 10 cubes of sugar in a medium banana, so not the best stomach liner, that. Might want to try hard cheese though, for the time being... You won't be on metformin long as you seem quite determined!).

Good luck. Will be cheering you on!
Jo

Reactions: Chiefy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel I should point out that I don't see my relationship with diabetes as a battle.
In the past I have often found that using a map and sorting out a route which takes me along small byways and into out of the way places, or finding an ancient ridge way or herr path makes for more pleasant walking than mains streets and pavements.
With the diabetes I just went back to eating a low carb diet, as that is what has always made me feel well. I lost weight without even thinking about it and was back to the normal range of blood glucose in a very short while, no longer diabetic at 6 months.
It is not great hardship to have a salad or steak and mushrooms for breakfast, then roast chicken and a stirfry in the evening - or something else along similar lines.

Carlwhallinon

Forget half a year to a year. I have a feeling you can have this beat in three months. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read, maybe get Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code (lots of free video's of his online too btw), dietdoctor.com and this place's website, diabetes.co.uk . I got myself back into the normal range relatively slow because I didn't find this place until later and it took me some time to figure things out for myself, say, three months or thereabouts, with the assistance of my meter, but... You have the advantage of being here and being able to draw knowledge from all of us. (Like there being little over 10 cubes of sugar in a medium banana, so not the best stomach liner, that. Might want to try hard cheese though, for the time being... You won't be on metformin long as you seem quite determined!).

Good luck. Will be cheering you on!
Jo

Thanks Jo, 3 months , I gotta be carful want to make getting better a permanent thing . Before I have gone crazy and overdid things leading to injury and despondency. I figure if I take the long road I can make new habits and behaviours permanent in my day to day living . If I reverse in 3 months all the better!

Carlwhallinon

I feel I should point out that I don't see my relationship with diabetes as a battle.
In the past I have often found that using a map and sorting out a route which takes me along small byways and into out of the way places, or finding an ancient ridge way or herr path makes for more pleasant walking than mains streets and pavements.
With the diabetes I just went back to eating a low carb diet, as that is what has always made me feel well. I lost weight without even thinking about it and was back to the normal range of blood glucose in a very short while, no longer diabetic at 6 months.
It is not great hardship to have a salad or steak and mushrooms for breakfast, then roast chicken and a stirfry in the evening - or something else along similar lines.

This is advice I can go with

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jo, 3 months , I gotta be carful want to make getting better a permanent thing . Before I have gone crazy and overdid things leading to injury and despondency. I figure if I take the long road I can make new habits and behaviours permanent in my day to day living . If I reverse in 3 months all the better!
Woa, hold up! I'm not saying hit it hard! I'm saying it is THAT easy. It can go that fast. Just cutting carbs, no need to injure yourself. Some people see excellent results in a couple of weeks or even days, with their blood glucose monitor. kind of depends on how high you're starting from and whether your liver dumps to keep you high (If it's used to you being high, it thinks that's what you're supposed to be. The liver is an idiot, but he tries to help, at least.).

Things you will have to be aware of: There is such a thing as carb flu or keto flu. Carbs retain water, and when you cut carbs, you urinate a lot. You end up flushing out electrolytes/salts too, so you end up dehydrated while your body seeks a new equilibrium. That can last up to 2 weeks. Solution to that: electrolyte supplements, pinches of salt here and there, bone broth or coconut water. (It really does feel like the flu. Headache, muscle and joint pains, fatigue. It does NOT last, but it can be a bit scary and put people off if they don't know about it). Second thing: your eyesight may get a little fuzzy for, again, another week or two. Your brain's been compensating for the glucose distorting your vision, and it has to get used to not having to do that. Don't run out for specs as your vision's in flux for a bit, just get some cheap reading glasses for that tiny little time period.

Adjust your diet, don't do yourself an injury. ;) I've been low carbing for 4 years now, been in the normal range for almost as long. I used to see 20's when just diagnosed. Cutting carbs is sustainable in the long run and will not harm you. Okay? :) Good. :)

Carlwhallinon

Woa, hold up! I'm not saying hit it hard! I'm saying it is THAT easy. It can go that fast. Just cutting carbs, no need to injure yourself. Some people see excellent results in a couple of weeks or even days, with their blood glucose monitor. kind of depends on how high you're starting from and whether your liver dumps to keep you high (If it's used to you being high, it thinks that's what you're supposed to be. The liver is an idiot, but he tries to help, at least.).

Things you will have to be aware of: There is such a thing as carb flu or keto flu. Carbs retain water, and when you cut carbs, you urinate a lot. You end up flushing out electrolytes/salts too, so you end up dehydrated while your body seeks a new equilibrium. That can last up to 2 weeks. Solution to that: electrolyte supplements, pinches of salt here and there, bone broth or coconut water. (It really does feel like the flu. Headache, muscle and joint pains, fatigue. It does NOT last, but it can be a bit scary and put people off if they don't know about it). Second thing: your eyesight may get a little fuzzy for, again, another week or two. Your brain's been compensating for the glucose distorting your vision, and it has to get used to not having to do that. Don't run out for specs as your vision's in flux for a bit, just get some cheap reading glasses for that tiny little time period.

Adjust your diet, don't do yourself an injury. ;) I've been low carbing for 4 years now, been in the normal range for almost as long. I used to see 20's when just diagnosed. Cutting carbs is sustainable in the long run and will not harm you. Okay? :) Good. :)

Thanks that puts it into perspective, my next video on you tube will lay bare what kind of state I’m in. Just feel that I’m at rock bottom now and everything seems like a mountain climb. I will concentrate on carb lowering , bread related products are my major downfall. Have not tested my blood yet since starting inhibitors a few days ago . Will do soon though . Bone broth sounds interesting!
Many thanks
Carl

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that puts it into perspective, my next video on you tube will lay bare what kind of state I’m in. Just feel that I’m at rock bottom now and everything seems like a mountain climb. I will concentrate on carb lowering , bread related products are my major downfall. Have not tested my blood yet since starting inhibitors a few days ago . Will do soon though . Bone broth sounds interesting!
Many thanks
Carl
I wouldn't call that rock bottom. ;) Diabetes is one of the conditions covered under the Metabolic Syndrome umbrella. Others are high cholesterol, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, obesity and high blood pressure. I had all of that except for high blood pressure. My NAFLD was so bad, I was told to prepare myself for end-stage liver cancer, because they thought that was the only thing it could be. Turned out an "an abnormal stacking of fat on the liver" though, and the endo told me he'd see me again when it turned to cirrhosis. Not if. When. And not to cure or treat it, but to manage the pain. You know. While I slowly died. I was heavier than you were at the time of the body shots, and we're about the same height, so yeah. Blood glucose was higher than yours too, as I'd apparently been diabetic for years before diagnosis.

Not making this into a competition, just want you to know: There's people who have successfully come back from worse. My liver functions perfectly fine now, the only way to see it ever had NAFLD is through an ultrasound. Blood glucose is perfectly in range, blood pressure's actually a bit low (that's what you get when you don't usually eat overly-processed foor anymore, you ingest less salts), I am overweight rather than obese or morbidly obese now. (Thanks to my wonky thyroid, PCOS and perimenopause.) Cholesterol's fine.

It does get better. And that horrid necrotic foot pic is not per definition in your future. ;)
Jo

Carlwhallinon

Hi jo , sorry , when I said rock bottom I was only talking from my perspective and mind set. I realise people are in much more dire situations. This truly is an awful disease . The foot pic is horrible but that’s a real possibility, my sister has T2 and is just out of hospital with a similar problem , all started with a toe nail issue and just escalated.
Want you to know I am really appreciating your feed back , as time goes on I will be better informed. You are exactly the type of person I can draw hope and inspiration from. X

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bread related products are my major downfall.

Me too I had to ditch them and anything "bread like" even if keto triggered all sorts of problems.

Just eat 4 times as much as what would have gone on the bread (unless it's jam of course!) and yes I have been seen spreading butter on my cheese.

After a week or so you likely won't miss it at all.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls

Lots of people have at least got their Blood Glucose levels back down far enough to be in the 'pre-diabetic' region in around 3 months. But it is best to take the first 2 weeks slowly - just aiming to get 'Fat adapted'.
After that it is much easier (if you want to) to go hard with Intermittent Fasting or Restricted Time Eating or One Meal A Day