Insulin pen

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My humalog 75/25 pen holds 300 u but only rings up to 60 u. If it showed all units up to 300, then I would be able to calculate that I injected the right amount of units. Being able to read the beginning number would be a great help in case I thought I hadn't injected. Any replies appreciated. These days I attach needle to pen first thing in the morning. That way I know I haven't injected yet. So it's working well. But it must be the first thing I do before I do anything else.. cheers Kevin..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My humalog 75/25 pen holds 300 u but only rings up to 60 u. If it showed all units up to 300, then I would be able to calculate that I injected the right amount of units. Being able to read the beginning number would be a great help in case I thought I hadn't injected. Any replies appreciated. These days I attach needle to pen first thing in the morning. That way I know I haven't injected yet. So it's working well. But it must be the first thing I do before I do anything else.. cheers Kevin..

Hi Kevin,

Can you clarify. Are you saying your insulin dose is 300u, & the pen only allows 60u at a time to be dialed up?

If that is the case? To keep track of the dosing, count 5 new needles & change them on every dose till you have no needles left sealed? Thus keeping a "tally" on the dose..

fantastic9888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kevin,

Can you clarify. Are you saying your insulin dose is 300u, & the pen only allows 60u at a time to be dialed up?thanks for reply. My insulin amount injected is normally 18u. So if I wondered did I inject, I wouldn't be able to know as pen only rings up to 60 every time. If I could ring it up to the 300 number, I would be able to know how many units remain every time I inject. So before I inject, I could take note of beginning number for that day then by subtracting my insulin dose from original number I'd know if I injected or not. Complicated?Not really. Cheers Kevin..

If that is the case? To keep track of the dosing, count 5 new needles & change them on every dose till you have no needles left sealed? Thus keeping a "tally" on the dose..

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So before I inject, I could take note of beginning number for that day then by subtracting my insulin dose from original number I'd know if I injected or not.
There are reusable pens that show how many units you last injected and roughly when - for instance the Novopen5 and Novopen Echo do this, possibly more do as well but don't know of any others. You coudl ask your doctors to have one of those and the relevant cartridges that fit them

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are reusable pens that show how many units you last injected and roughly when - for instance the Novopen5 and Novopen Echo do this, possibly more do as well but don't know of any others. You coudl ask your doctors to have one of those and the relevant cartridges that fit them

Indeed there are, however Novo Nordisk make these & Lilly make the Humalog.
The difference is Lilly's cartriges don't fit a Novopen due to there being no thread to screw the needle too?
& visa versa.
I use Lantus which has the same issue, the thread provided to screw the needle on is clear plastic cartridge holder..
I'd love to to use my more robust Bolus Novopen. But alas, they are not interchangeable with the cartridge.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, I use the echo, I got one from my diabetes team who then wrote to my GP so I could get another for my basal insulin. It shows you the last dose (so check before you prime/prep for the next injection) and it has lines which show how many hours ago you last injected.

I've read about a new Novopen which has Bluetooth capacity so you can set it up to sync the pen memory so you know exactly what you injected and when. I asked my DSN about it in Feb but she said it wasn't yet available in the UK and would probably take a little while to be cheap enough to have on the NHS anyway, as she estimated my echo pen to be roughly £80. For something I use at least 5 times a day and have had for maybe 3 years now I think that's great value but expensive in the first instance.

If you're on insulin I think you should have a diabetes team too so maybe see what they suggest? Or old fashioned diary again but not so handy when you're out and about.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, I use the echo, I got one from my diabetes team who then wrote to my GP so I could get another for my basal insulin. It shows you the last dose (so check before you prime/prep for the next injection) and it has lines which show how many hours ago you last injected.

I've read about a new Novopen which has Bluetooth capacity so you can set it up to sync the pen memory so you know exactly what you injected and when. I asked my DSN about it in Feb but she said it wasn't yet available in the UK and would probably take a little while to be cheap enough to have on the NHS anyway, as she estimated my echo pen to be roughly £80. For something I use at least 5 times a day and have had for maybe 3 years now I think that's great value but expensive in the first instance.

If you're on insulin I think you should have a diabetes team too so maybe see what they suggest? Or old fashioned diary again but not so handy when you're out and about.

Hi,

I've noticed the developed function for this on the XDrip app? I also believe the MySugr app is capable too?
I know I can log Bluetooth data from meter tests with it.

But to be fair, I use a Libre & MM2. For me if I'd forgotten my basal the trend on the graph overnight & morning figures would be a dead giveaway.

Lilylala

Hi I use a humulin m3 pen it's the same twist dial up to 60 units and holds 300 , I always keep a diary and write my blood sugar reading , dosage , time , date so I know where I stand .

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've noticed the developed function for this on the XDrip app? I also believe the MySugr app is capable too?
I know I can log Bluetooth data from meter tests with it.

But to be fair, I use a Libre & MM2. For me if I'd forgotten my basal the trend on the graph overnight & morning figures would be a dead giveaway.
Would make life easier if they did release a bluetooth pen, yes! I log mine in the libre link app now, but not if I'm in a hurry at work etc. Though I've found being able to at least see the last dose the echo pen has dispensed great if I've forgotten to log it at the time.

GeorgeWBaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using contour Next, with the App on my Moblie phone every reading is saved. It shows my average readings for last 7 days, 14, 30 and 90 days, with times of readings etc. I can also log my insulin dosage and comments about exercise and meals etc.
Very handy piece of equipment!

Fizzball

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who throw their rubbish on the ground.
Me too, Kevin. I place the needle as soon as I have used it in the evening, so I know that I haven't done it yet. I also have an "alarm" on my ' phone, so as soon as it goes off, I inject, then replace the needle in readiness for the following evening.