stress as a factor in diabetes complications

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
who else finds that stress is a major factor in how their diabetes control works or fails?

anything from snide remarks to really bad situations can be so harmful - dont you agree

for example - people eat one piece of chicken and the chips and the gravy and the 3 types of veggie and the dressing on their salad and that is fine, but god forbid the carb counting diabetic who cannot have any of those additions to their meal and so resorts to having an extra piece of chicken or two instead - you are made to feel like you are a gluttonous pig, even when you explain it and show the calorie count of the food and it works out that the judgmental person is actually consuming more calories than the poor diabetic taking those extra 2 chicken drumsticks they still look on the poor diabetic judgmentally and it hurts emotionally for people to be so judgmental and it adds to stress load and so leads to worse diabetic control of blood glucose

I had this happen with the mother-in-law and ended up not eating at all during the day and then gorging myself in the middle of the night when she was asleep. the woman was counting even the droplets of water I drank or did not drink when she was a guest in my house and of course it was none of her business and I should not have fallen for creating a bad situation for my health because of her snide remarks, but I did and since then I have banned her from my life- too harmful for my health

Edited by moderator to remove content in breach of the forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 308541

I do not count calories, but I keep a rough count on the amount of carbohydrates I eat.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yes! mother-in-laws can indeed be bad for BG levels! Mine came to visit last December and is stuck here since the virus.

When I start getting the look, I start chewing with my mouth open, I’ll proceed to ask her if she is going to eat that chicken wing on her plate, as a result my cortisol levels come right down after dinner, instead of all night holding in anger :)

Reactions: EllieM

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Yes! mother-in-laws can indeed be bad for BG levels! Mine came to visit last December and is stuck here since the virus.

When I start getting the look, I start chewing with my mouth open, I’ll proceed to ask her if she is going to eat that chicken wing on her plate, as a result my cortisol levels come right down after dinner, instead of all night holding in anger :)

yes i should not have let her spiteful ways influence my health like I did

we are always wiser after the fact

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Sounds like you did the right thing in your situation, @miss miss

you mean that her taking healthy bananas from my 3 year old child and giving him a cup soup processed food instead, and telling me off for encouraging my 3 year old to eat cucumbers instead of lollies and the way she was teaching my kids to lie to me, and the way that her home is so infested with cockroaches that they bite her in bed and crawl over her face and so i could not trust my 3 year old to stay at her home overnight in case he got bitten at night by cockroaches crawling all over his face too...and her home is always so neat it seems ready for a home beautiful magazine photo shoot.

I certainly dont need the stress of trying to fight her

oh and the father in law did not believe in holding my 3 year old's hand on the street and my child ran out in traffic and almost got killed

so anyone else out there with toxic in-laws - please dont feel guilty if you need to cut ties for your own health's sake

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I find stress whatever the cause is a cause of not managing your diabetes properly.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you mean that her taking healthy bananas from my 3 year old child and giving him a cup soup processed food instead, and telling me off for encouraging my 3 year old to eat cucumbers instead of lollies and the way she was teaching my kids to lie to me, and the way that her home is so infested with cockroaches that they bite her in bed and crawl over her face and so i could not trust my 3 year old to stay at her home overnight in case he got bitten at night by cockroaches crawling all over his face too...and her home is always so neat it seems ready for a home beautiful magazine photo shoot.

I certainly dont need the stress of trying to fight her

oh and the father in law did not believe in holding my 3 year old's hand on the street and my child ran out in traffic and almost got killed

so anyone else out there with toxic in-laws - please dont feel guilty if you need to cut ties for your own health's sake
Toxic people, whatever their relation, you are better off without. (And your 3 year old is better off without them too!)

miss miss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
insulin
Toxic people, whatever their relation, you are better off without. (And your 3 year old is better off without them too!)

it helps a lot to get another persons input about these matters because when you are in the middle of it sometimes you cannot see the forest for the trees. than you for the feedback

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

purplepoppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. I am convinced that stress is a factor in diabetes complications. I have been Type 2 for at least 20 years and I have several complications. In January I was called for a PIP assessment, even though I told them this would be an extremely stressful situation for me. They ignored this. My GP ignored my request for support. I had to go but was so stressed that I was unable to eat for five days prior. I cried all the way through the assessment and could not bring myself to look at the assessor (he said he was a paramedic!!!). However, his report said I engaged normally and had no problem talking to him. There were also several other lies. No wonder these sham assessments cause so much stress. Afterwards, I became very ill and I began to notice what I presume is nerve damage in my hands. I already have this in my feet. This has become worse and all started when I was under the most severe stress.

brookj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
who else finds that stress is a major factor in how their diabetes control works or fails?

anything from snide remarks to really bad situations can be so harmful - dont you agree

for example - people eat one piece of chicken and the chips and the gravy and the 3 types of veggie and the dressing on their salad and that is fine, but god forbid the carb counting diabetic who cannot have any of those additions to their meal and so resorts to having an extra piece of chicken or two instead - you are made to feel like you are a gluttonous pig, even when you explain it and show the calorie count of the food and it works out that the judgmental person is actually consuming more calories than the poor diabetic taking those extra 2 chicken drumsticks they still look on the poor diabetic judgmentally and it hurts emotionally for people to be so judgmental and it adds to stress load and so leads to worse diabetic control of blood glucose

I had this happen with the mother-in-law and ended up not eating at all during the day and then gorging myself in the middle of the night when she was asleep. the woman was counting even the droplets of water I drank or did not drink when she was a guest in my house and of course it was none of her business and I should not have fallen for creating a bad situation for my health because of her snide remarks, but I did and since then I have banned her from my life- too harmful for my health

Edited by moderator to remove content in breach of the forum rules

brookj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think anything that ups your stress level can cause you to go for a food splurge. I have to track mine or I end up in trouble. I think you should explain to her what you are trying to do and that you are not allowed starchy carbs for your health. Say how important your doctor says it is and ask for her support. If she the criticises say it's on my diet plan to shut her up.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Any kind of stress ups cortisol levels. This in turn raises blood sugar. It's normal physiological response in the body. Part of the fight or flight mechanism.
[

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find when I am stressed my blood sugar levels drop

Think that's a common reaction in T1s, with T2s some BS drop(not many). The normal reaction to stress will be a rise in blood sugar.

Fearless36

Stress is definitely something I am struggling with and I am finding that often, my medical care team are making me more stressed. I am often given conflicting information by the nurses and doctors, and am always amazed when they ask me why I am doing something - and when I tell them that the other party advised that they shake their heads. It really is stressing me out and my diabetes control is up and down.