Nhs care shocking

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Machines are good. Some of us long term T1's never even had machines till 30 years ago!!

You need to test during night and first thing in morning to find out whats happening at nights.

You have had rough time but things can get better. I have PMd you.

Reactions: Bon83 and zand

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could consider Dr Bernstein's approach. You sound like a fighter, maybe the 'law of small numbers' (small amount of carbs in, small amount of insulin required) would work for you. Dr Bernstein has an excellent website, a superb, inspirational book, as well as a series of videos on YouTube called, I think, The Diabetes University. I think there is a Facebook forum called type1grit for T1 diabetics who follow his approach. It should at least let you eliminate the hypos!

Your story sounds horrendous, I am really sorry for your situation! Good luck.

Reactions: dbr10

Type1John:)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wish I could afford the freestyle libre
Hi Kev. I put my case to my doctor for CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring). I got approval and ended up with the Libre. I now get the Libre and sensors for free off the NHS. Id strongly recommend putting your case forward with regards to anxiety around lack of control and also that you are newly diagnosed and quite vulnerable. I was eligble due to severe anxiety surrounding my control. Dont hesitate to pester them because sometimes they will say otherwise because they cant be ***** with the process of writing a letter and putting a case forward to the funding agency etc. It took a while to sort out and in the end I didnt get CGMS instead got the Freestyle Libre - but what a game changer its been. Also, if your reader is always reading HI, theres a good chance ketoacidosis could come about at any point. If its been a while since your background/mealtime dose and your bg is reading that level after a few checks, id suggest trying to work out how much corrective novorapid youd need to bring your bg down (Work out peak times/duration of your particular insulins - you can do it online just type it in google and somewhere will inform you - for e.g novorapid tends to peak after 2 hours and duration is around 4 hours - this will help you work out whether you need less/more quick acting insulin because of the length of time since your long acting - its literally a game of hit and miss u gota work it out for yourself but dont stress x). Start testing the waters with smaller doses i.e half units/single units so you dont over do it. Then wait a couple of hours and do a bg test to see how thats acting, wait a little bit longer - maybe an hour or 2, then do a bg test and see if you need more (Try keep tabs on your time of administering doses too- saves you accidently doing a dose too soon or too late). Dont worry about getting them sugars tight immediately, just getting them down a bit below the HI level so you can see whats going on is a great start and you should feel good about accomplishing that. I had a problem with dodgy readings from bg machines so if you feel you need to test twice do it. Youll eventually adapt a 2nd nature response to knowing whether its talking **** anyway trust me, you develop a sort of diabetic intuition. Running around at HI will 100% be doing damage to you though, and of course will be affecting your mood. My mood gets ratty if Im anything over 10 really - my bloodsugars are pretty **** most of the time. Ne wonder Im a stroppy c**t lol. Best of luck and of course take it up with your doc if pos before playing with the novorapid to bring you down when the readings are too high. Ive been T1 since I was 5 now 21 and my control has never been great, but through experimentation I know I can get decent control when I try and can assure you that you dont have to have absolutely amazing control for things to get/feel better. Take it well easy mate here if u need owt, and please let us know how you get on. John x
P.S CBD oil is an absolute saviour helps with my tingly feet and anxiety totally natural and organic would strongly recommend to anyone.

Last edited:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What is CBD oil? I'd like to try it
What is CBD oil? I'd like to try it
Hi there:) CBD oil is the 2nd most primary Cannabanoid found in Cannabis. It is completely legal, non psychoactive, organic and potentially one of the best natural medicines known to man. I use the CBD brothers blue edition which is a mix of hemp seed and CBD I believe. I take 5 drops 4 times daily. I tend to take it when im doing something planned or stressful and it works wonders. It seems to calm my anxiety within 10 minutes and I get tingly feet maybe once every 3 - 4 months oppose to everyday:) Also a smoker and i think thats helped my feet/eyes/nerves etc over the years. I dont know if you can post links here but just check out CBDbrothers.com or https://cbdbrothers.com/product/cbd-oil-blue-edition-2000mg-17-4-cbd/. My explanation of its benefits are petty like this stuff is truly god tier. If you try it I really hope it works for you. Of course its not for everyone but I see it as something that could be used as casually as fish oil for health benefits. You could neck a litre of the stuff and I'd imagine you'd be sound. Not like the Primidone my Grandads been given for his essential tremor which has made him fall over 3 times the past month (luckily im a late sleeper and have been awake when these incidents have happened) However got him some capsules on the way as he all out refuses to take the CBD oil because of the taste lol (bit earthy - nowt to cry owa). Anyway bro wish you all the best. John x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
well, hemp oil is in small quantities in some products, like the baby liquid soap I get from Dr. Bronner's but there are still problems with anything potent like THC oil or something derived like CBD, as far as I can see.

http://hightimes.com/news/politics/dea-cbd-oil-is-not-legal-in-all-50-states/

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/new-dea-rule-says-cbd-oil-really-truly-no-joke-illegal
I live in the UK dude. Quite surprised to hear CBD is illegal in the states. You may still be able to obtain it from the site though dont take my word for it x

Reactions: Bealeys

Fearless36

Also DAFNE courses don't guarantee that you will get perfect levels at all. Only 17% of type 1 s hit the target HBA1c of 6.5% (this is a preview of the upcoming audit of diabetes treatment in the UK) who attend a course, so its somewhat flawed in its approach. On the course I undertook, there were 8 of us, and on the last day only 2 of us had good levels at one point, so the other 6 levels were up and down non stop throughout the whole 5 days. Plus there was a lot of information just thrown at us without explanation (such as when your sick etc). I didn't enjoy the course and it left me with more anxiety than before the course.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But you could afford to buy Dr Richard Bernstein’s book, The Diabetes Solution, or watch all his You Tube videos, look for The Diabetes University, and join the Facebook group Type 1 Grit.

You sound as though you want to proactively manage your diabetes and achieve full health. Lots of people are achieving just that!

Gleny

This is appalling your lack of support from your so called health care professionals.I am a newbie Diabetic late in life.I have some advice for you for God sake check your blood sugar level and inject your insulin.it ain't optional if you want stay healthy or alive.i found the side effects of this disease far far worse than monitoring. and taking your medication insulin checking blood sugar levels.I'm a T1D I have no special diet other than I avoid food high in sugar or carbs,yes I know it’s not easy As you have eat something !i think the problem with Diabetes is because it’s such a common condition World wide folk who don’t suffer from think it’s Not a serious condition which of course it is.A sort of familiarity breeds contempt attitude !

Glenn

Last edited:

Magz2004

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys. I was diagnosed on December 28tg just gone. Apparently type one. I was diagnosed by a prick to my finger, put in my first hypo due to them overdosing me with insulin and then leaving me hours in a room with no food or insulin? Then the next day to be told that due to the xmas new year period everyone didn't give a ****! They then led me to the 'diabetes unit' some crackers old lady gave me novorapid and levimir said take this lev morning and night and nova when you eat carbs that's it... if you don't you will die!! Thanks a bunch lol....
6 months down the line I have no idea what I'm doing and was considering how many jelly babies would it take to do me over?

Magz2004

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Read Fast 800 by Michael Mosley and the Obestity Code by Jason Fung. They will help you understand what is going on and make good decisions for your circumstances. There is hope. Bear in mind that many in diabetes care are old fashioned and behind current thinking. I have major rows with my GP, diabetic nurse and even the hospital. Despite their advice I am treating the problem, insulin resistance, rather that the symptoms. At more than 6 stone down and now on tablets that don’t fight with by Fast 800 diet I finally feel I am winning. Get educated, work out your plan and fight for it. You will beat diabetes!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Read Fast 800 by Michael Mosley and the Obestity Code by Jason Fung. They will help you understand what is going on and make good decisions for your circumstances. There is hope. Bear in mind that many in diabetes care are old fashioned and behind current thinking. I have major rows with my GP, diabetic nurse and even the hospital. Despite their advice I am treating the problem, insulin resistance, rather that the symptoms. At more than 6 stone down and now on tablets that don’t fight with by Fast 800 diet I finally feel I am winning. Get educated, work out your plan and fight for it. You will beat diabetes!

Hi @Magz2004

This thread is about type 1 diabetes and its care, which will always require insulin and which does not respond to dietary control, and 800 calorie diets the way type 2 diabetes may. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition, whereas type 2 is more about insulin resistance.

Jason Fung and Michael Mosely both aim their information at type 2s.