Starting the fight back

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep meaning to have a go at bread making with low carb ingredients - but I am busy working at so many other things that I never seen to get time these days. I used to make bread and still know the recipe, but once I started to add in so many non flour things it did not rise well - now I have wheat gluten so all should be well again.
I'll let you know when I do though.
The low carb way of eating is very effective - it took me only 80 days to get out of the diabetic range and I wasn't trying all that hard. I was quite ill for about half that time, and not able to exercise.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have to ask, what's the issue with low carb breads? I personally found making a low carb bread and thus the ability to use recipes which call for breadcrumbs etc (Scotch eggs for example) has made sticking to a low carb diet relatively easy.
I had/have a bread addiction. No off switch when having bread like substances so I overeat them.
I can make keto bread but eat the whole lot in one go, thus I find it easier and better for me to not have anything resembling bread at all. Made far easier by my mainly carnivore diet.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi jo , sorry , when I said rock bottom I was only talking from my perspective and mind set. I realise people are in much more dire situations. This truly is an awful disease . The foot pic is horrible but that’s a real possibility, my sister has T2 and is just out of hospital with a similar problem , all started with a toe nail issue and just escalated.
Want you to know I am really appreciating your feed back , as time goes on I will be better informed. You are exactly the type of person I can draw hope and inspiration from. X
Oh, I know what diabetes can do, and please, don't apologise! I had some complications but reversed those, I had it easy and didn't know it! My uncle lost both his legs above the knee; necrosis kept getting him, losing more bits of leg as he went. One day you're missing a foot, a month later yer shin's gone. Knee? Poof! Bye legs, hello phantom pains and a special lift to get in and out of bed. A friend's mom's heart muscle tore, after spending years on the couch because the neuropathy made walking impossible. She was in pain, always. My gran... I could go on for a while, basically. All in all, T2 can get really, really ugly. That's what I thought I was looking at. Complications, painful ones, deadly ones. Turned out there's hope out there after all. Or rather, in here, this place, among others like dietdoctor.com and the like. And while your sister's in a bad spot herself (I am so very sorry to hear it! Hope she'll get better soon!), you are embarking on this in a way that may help her eventually too.

In any case, it wasn't a "I was way worse, your rock bottom means nothing", it's a "It can get pretty bad, yeah, but it's not hopeless and you're not doomed" kind of idea. ;)

And another thing: keto mug bread. Google it. :)

Reactions: Carlwhallinon

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can understand that, think I'm a bit lucky in that respect since I have always eaten to live rather than lived to eat. Obviously the wrong foods though since I'm here :(
The "eat to live" is my new mindset.
Food has stopped being "entertainment" or "reward" and is now purely fuel.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Have to ask, what's the issue with low carb breads? I personally found making a low carb bread and thus the ability to use recipes which call for breadcrumbs etc (Scotch eggs for example) has made sticking to a low carb diet relatively easy.

I have had 'digestion' issues with bought low carb breads. After listening to Ivor Cummins' podcasts, it would appear that included vegetable oils could be the culprit. I only ever need breadcrumbs for my favourite Cranks nut roast recipe and I tend to make keto cheese scones or muffins for that. For scotch eggs, wouldn't ground nuts work?

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Go for it Carl !!!! Keep it up. What worked me was that I aggressive in my daily goals and strived to keep them as close to normal as possible. One thing I would add it would be a good idea that you have log of your readings so you can see trends along testing yourself 4 times a day(fasting and after meals). Give yourself time to learn how your body works and understand that you will make some mistakes. That is fine just learn from them.

Best of luck go for it

Dave