How do rapidly rising blood sugars make you feel?

briony1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a weird breathless, rapid heart rate, adrenaline rush type feeling? And always tends to be when I’ve eaten fatty foods and my levels don’t start to rise for hours afterwards!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I feel horrible when they rise fast. My issue is hot showers. I can go up 3 mmol (50 mg) in 15-30 minutes and I will feel dizzy, tired weak. Yet the same number when I have climbed slowly doesn't bother me. So I only take lukewarm showers now and that pretty much stops the huge spike. Most people drop with a hot shower. Not me!

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Bit like a "hangover", i suppose..?
I can feel it in my legs. As if i'd cycled many miles for my life..

I feel horrible when they rise fast. My issue is hot showers. I can go up 50 points in 15-30 minutes and I will feel dizzy, tired weak. Yet the same number when I have climbed slowly doesn't bother me. So I only take lukewarm showers now and that pretty much stops the huge spike. Most people drop with a hot shower. Not me!

Oddly, i find hot showers & baths either don't affect me or lower my BG. Heat makes me more insulin sensitive?

Now strangely you do mention "50 points?" which is Md/gl?? (In metric.?)

So i can rise about as much 2.5 Mmol. After a shower, but only during the manic routine of prep for work in the morning?
Foot on the floor liver dump stuff? But then i tend not to panic if i wake on a 5 & i'm in the mid 7s before setting off to work..

I don't even do breakfast.. (Just can't face it, till late morning.)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I forgot myself @Jaylee and fixed it. 3 mmol in 15-30 minutes.

I don't do breakfast either, there's no controlling my Bg levels if I try to eat in the morning.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
One word for rapidly rising blood sugars: yuk. Aches, tiredness, dry mouth, sludge in the head, and crossness that I didn’t prevent it.

Reactions: Marie 2

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i get hot flushes and feel very sluggish and headachy for the rest of the day:(

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exhausted - when food beats insulin and i have a rapid spike I just want to call asleep!!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 and I just have to sleep, can't keep my eyes open tired.

Abigail18

I get breathless, dizzy, dry mouth and clumsy (I will trip over the smallest things) and just the general yuk feeling with it