Willpower????

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Help :!: I need more willpower and I can't find anywhere on the internet to buy it :!: :!:

Seriously though, I need help and advice. The "new diet" novelty has worn off :oops:
Over the weekend I had a box of chocolate fingers, a whole packet of salt and pepper nuts (from aldi's-absolutely delicious), a packet of malteesers yesterday, a twix today and I have lost count of the number of jaffa cakes :!:
I think half the problem is that I "got away with it". :twisted: My fasting level this morning was 6.3 which is one of my lowest.
I keep reading all the success stories on here to spur me on and all the horror stories to frighten me. I keep reminding myself that high BG levels will cause complications in the future. On first being diagnosed I was terrified to go anywhere near a bar of chocolate but now I just feel "where's the harm in one wee bit". Problem is all the wee bits soon add up. I even looked out the Wii fit last night and done 20 mins (it's alot for me) on it.
I want and need to control my BG levels and to lose weight. I keep thinking of the nice wee Christmas number I could buy if I lost more weight.
I have plenty of incentives but I am really really struggling with the willpower.

Has anybody else struggled with the willpower and does anybody have any tips to overcome it?
Or better still does anybody have a spare bottle of it :?: :?:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I need all the will power that I have and a bit (or lot) more I just dont buy anything that I shouldnt have but there is only me and husband at home and although he some times buys a choc bar he is very discreet and keeps it out of the way I think that if the kids were still at home I would have to have a cupboard with a padlock that was nowhere that I could get at it.Could you put an electric fence up :lol: By the way I need to put on half a stone so it makes pigging out on choc etc more difficult
CAROL

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I have hit a plateau but have lost just over 2 and half stone, I get willpower to keep on trying by hearing the compliments from women at the pub! (Even got given a number this week) If I lose some more I may have the confidence to call the number!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't underestimate to power of addiction. It's very difficult to give up alcohol/cigarettes/street drugs/(insert addiction and delete as appropriate) but when it comes to something that is completely unavoidable (food) it's nigh on impossible!
One bit of sweet, sugary heaven makes your body crave more and more. Don't beat yourself up, use it as a learning tool. Decide weather you are the sort of person that can exercise control over such things and only have the occasional, little bit and stop with that or go cold turkey.
Over my three and a half year journey, I have discovered a HUGE amount about my relationship with food and I don't think it will stop. Currently, I have decided that if I cannot overcome those addictive urges, I 'let myself go' on low carb treats only. My current diet only consistes of protein, dairy and vegetables. One of my pig-out treats is Mama Lupees low-carb tortilla wraps turned into nachos and smothered in grated cheese. If I HAVE to eat a sweet thing it's as much 'diabetic' chocolate as I want and to hell with the side effects. Thorntons diabetc fudge bar is to die for. Thankfully, this only happens once in a blue moon.

In Jaffa Cake sympathy,
wiflib

ps. One of my mottos is
"if I'm going to loose a toe, I'll do it in style and not thanks to Mr Kipling"

WhitbyJet

Aw hun, you are struggling. Dont quite know what the answer is. eat lots of low carb food to fill you up and allow yourself a daily chocolate treat at the end of the day?

You have probably been avoiding chocolate for a long time, the craving for it became stronger, eventually you crashed? Depriving yourelf of something that you really, really want is the quickest way to crash and binge eat.

Dont be hard on yourself, you are human. I used to crash, people would hold horror stories of "this iswhat happens to poorly controlled ciabetics" under my nose, it made no difference. I couldnt relate these stories to myself, in any case, if this is going to happen to me all gruesome and nasty I might as well stuff myself with all the things I like.

It became a lot easier when I sllow4ef myself treats, somehow they lost their appeal, they wernt naughty anymore.

I haven been low carb eating for 5yrs this coming February, a learning curve alright, I know from experience that there is some truth in the saying #if you are hungry shortly after a meal you havent eaten enough protein, if it is cravings you havent eaten enough fat.

I hope you can atay healthy and you can achived your goals x

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've comlpletely lost the plot now-just shoot me :!:

Just tested 1/2 hour ago and it was only 9.1.

What worries me is my first thought was "that's not as bad as I expected what else can I have to eat"

A packet of maltesers only has 22.9g carbs which is same as 2 slices bread and I also have 5 slices bacon in fridge which could go with the bread- what a dilemma :wink: After reading WhitbyJet's comment about not having enough protein and fat I decided be good and to opt for bacon sandwich. The only thing is the packet of maltesers are still there winking at me.

Hopefully this will be a one night craving and I will be fine tomorrow.

Going to do Wii fit again before bed and work off all the chocolate.

Thanks for all your comments and advice. It's good to know that I am not alone and everyone has a wobble now and again. I agree with all your comments and they echo exactly how I feel.

Here's to tomorrow-another day and another new beginning :!:

PS If I find any willpower on the net I will be sure to let you all know :lol:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Put the Maltezers down the loo and remove the temptation :)

(easy for me to say as I don't like chocolate.)

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I soooo empathise with you.
I used to eat loads of chocolate. I talked this through with a friend of mine and both of us agreed that we knew what we were doing was like 'killing' ourselves but found it impossible to stop. She was diagnosed as T2 roughly the same time as me. She had a Dr who prescribed a meter and strips-mine didn't. Two years later after developing serious heart problems I knew the time had come to control myself because no one else was able to do it for me. All I can say is that since discovering this site and going for the lower carb approach I have 'almost' lost the urge to eat choclolate. The craving has lessened and as it has lessened my 'hunger' has too. It helped me to have a friend in the same boat. We attend WW together and support each other. Do you have friends who will support you in the real world rather than just in this virtual world. My friend and I can talk about anything. What made us eat like this in the first place?etc
I think when I carried on eating chocolate despite knowing I was diabetic was my way of blocking it out and not facing reality. My father was T! and he died just before he was to have a foot amputated so I knew the complications that could arise at first hand and I still did it. Addiction is only part of the problem.
I am with you all the way. Keep persevering through the downs the goodtimes will outweigh them soon.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for the support Sparkjack, you really know where I am coming from!
I have other major issues that my friends have been really supportive with but they haven't a clue about the seriousness of diabetes and I tend to play it down a bit in their company. I really value their support in other areas of my life and couldn't have got by the last year without them.

So sorry about your father. That's awful. I would have thought experiencing it first hand would make you change things but on the other hand I can understand it having the opposite effect (comforting eating and all that).However, you seem to have worked really hard at overcoming the problems and have done really well. Well done to you. :)

Anyway, I have just finished the packet of maltesers :twisted: and I can't be bothered with the wii fit :oops: so I'm going to bed so I don't eat anymore and can start again tomorrow.

Sorry for the self pitying post tonight-it's just not been a good night. I know there are alot of people in worse situation than me and I am sorry for moaning.

Thanks for all your help

johnts

I think what you have to do is Beleive that you really have to do this diet for your health,when shopping dont buy them if they arent in the house then you cant eat them,get some sugar free chewing gum that will help oh and plenty of water fills you also . I know its hard and yes Ive failed also its natural but just the odd packet of crisps or buscuit But you have to beleive in your self that you can get through this and i bet you can

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
We all fail from time to time, don't beat yourself up about it! I fail with wine quite frequently :oops: - an open bottle is an empty bottle - and as johnts says, the only way is not to have it in the house!

I went shopping at Tesco today - my brother is coming next week and I have to cater for his tastes a bit. I bought a loaf of their Finest Multigrain, and had it sliced so that I could freeze it and get it out slice-by-slice. It was still warm from the oven but it sliced okay.

Then I had to drive the 16 miles back home with the car full of the smell of new-baked bread! And it was still warm when I got it home! Guess what - I ate the crust, and then another slice! :oops: :lol: Hell is the smell of new-baked bread when you're not allowed to eat it! :lol:

I once read a quote (Robert Heinlein, I think, but no idea where from): If a good Jew decides to eat pork, he should enjoy it until the grease runs down his chin.

(NB I am not being racist or whatever, and don't intend offence - it's just a quote.)

Don't beat yourself up about what you did yesterday; it's tomorrow that matters. Just don't do it again! :shock: :lol: :wink:

Viv 8)

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Viv! Hope you had lots of butter on the bread! Chocoholicnomore, I know just how you feel. Chocolate was one of my vices, along with freshly baked bread! I bought a bag of treat sizes twirls for the kids who usually come around 'trick or treating', they haven't come and I can't go into the dining room as they're waiting on the table to ambush me. Will have to get hubby to hide them when he comes in tonight.

Don't beat yourself up though, we all have 'wobbles'. Tomorrow is another day(or rather today is....)

Ann

heathclowes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
certain vegetables and time wasters
my hubby won't give me any willpower, he just goes out and buys me chocolates and sweets no matter what i say, i keep asking him if he is trying to kill me

minn

Everyone cracks sooner or later- the trick is not to let a little lapse turn into a weeks binge, which I have often done. As everyone says, don't beat yourself up over it- you'll only get depressed and we all know the cure for that- more chocolate! Just regard tomorrow as a clean slate and start again. Have you read any posts on here about ' holidays' from diabetes? Might be worth a try- promise yourself a (sensible) day off in a few weeks time and work towards it?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Ann19, I like a little bread with my butter 8) :wink:

It was gorgeous!

Viv 8)

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
viviennem said:
Ann19, I like a little bread with my butter 8) :wink:

It was gorgeous!

Viv 8)

OOOOOOOOOO....... STOP!!!! I can almost taste it :oops:

Ann

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think the clocks gouing back, the early darkness (it's dark in Scotland by 5 o'clock), and the wet blustery weather all contribute to your body and brain wanting carbs and fat. I've had a rough couple of days myself. I tend to go with the flow for a limited time (couple of days usually), then start again.

Home made soup for tomorrow so that should help plus I'm busy so shouldn't be eating because I'm bored.

Enjoy your Matesers or whatever and get back on the wagon tomorrow.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your replies and support. Reading them really helped me.

I'm back on track today. I think the problem was an accumulation of things.
I didn't buy the 85% chocolate or the nuts which helped me through snacking the last few weeks. I wasn't losing weight so I thought I would cut them out-bad idea as I ended up bingeing on normal chocolate :oops:
Also, I didn't enjoy my dinner last night. Looking back I think that was also a contribution to my bingeing-"I deserved something nice"
There was also the excuse of comforting eating-not found a solution to that one yet!

Anyway, it is really encouraging to realise that others have the same problems and I am not alone.

(Just tested and it was 7.1 -3hrs after dinner -so I don't think I have done too much harm)

Can I just add that I think this forum is brilliant and everyone is so friendly and helpful :)

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
If it would work, I would give you some of my willpower!!! I was given a big bar of chocolate last week, and it's still in the fridge, unopened! I can say yes and I can say no to something sweet, the trouble with most people is that they don't really WANT to.... To me it's the same with smoking. Everyone tells me it's an addiction, but I say it's a habit for the lack of something better to do. That view has helped me to quit smoking and say "no thanks" to sugary stuff.... Reading horror stories and success stories won't help if you don't really want to say NO. You have to force yourself to say no and be stern but kind with family members or friends who want to give you treats because they don't know any better. The first reaction when loved ones see you down in the dumps is to cheer you up with something you really like, it's nice of them but bad for you...
Instead of reaching for chocolate, have a nice green apple and a chunk of cheese. Cut both into small cubes and slowly eat them together with a toothpick... You'll see that after you feel full and the craving for sweet stuff is gone too. :) Keep yourself busy with things you enjoy doing and the rest will fall into place eventually... Don't deprive yourself of it all though. Try and go 3 days without a sweet snack and when you done that, treat yourself to something small on the forth day. Then try and go for 4 days without and then for 5 days and when you manage a week, make it a habit to treat yourself on a Sunday each week to one of your favorite treats...