Sheilding Update??

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Has anyone who has been sheilding been de-sheilded yet or received an extension?
I'm nhs worker awaiting government update

Tannith

BANNED
Has anyone who has been sheilding been de-sheilded yet or received an extension?
I'm nhs worker awaiting government update
No, but they keep ringing me (at least 3 times a week) asking if I still need foodboxes and to ring a central number if I do. I don't get to the phone in time and they leave messages. I have rung the central number twice now to say I still need my box but it doesn't seem to have got through to the telephone staff. Originally shielding went on for 3 month which would be to the end of June. I saw on a news report somewhere that Govt was "considering " continuing it to end July. I'm guessing a plan to end it at end July is the cause of the phone calls ie to persuade us to stop shielding. But that's all I know.

Reactions: Josie66

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
No, but they keep ringing me (at least 3 times a week) asking if I still need foodboxes and to ring a central number if I do. I don't get to the phone in time and they leave messages. I have rung the central number twice now to say I still need my box but it doesn't seem to have got through to the telephone staff. Originally shielding went on for 3 month which would be to the end of June. I saw on a news report somewhere that Govt was "considering " continuing it to end July. I'm guessing a plan to end it at end July is the cause of the phone calls ie to persuade us to stop shielding. But that's all I know.

Hi yes I've had the call about the boxes and if i wanted to still have them and priority shopping .
My ward manager has given me shifts in August but still has me off in July..but we haven't been told if its extended yet!
Hope there's a government update soon

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Josie
They're updating on shielding now on bbc briefing update.

nb If you miss it can get on iplayer later

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Shielding is to end at end of July although they are still maintaining the Shielding list jic.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"New advice from 6 July allows those in England who are shielding to form a support bubble with another household, or meet in groups for up to six.
Support packages will stop at the end of July, but people will retain their priority for supermarket delivery slots, and can still access help with shopping, medication, phone calls and transport to medical appointments, according to the Department for Health and Social Care."

I really don't see what is going to change between now and the 6th of July.

Edit to Add
Or between 6th July and 1st of August for that matter just arbitrary as far as I can see.

Edit Edit to add should have made it 4th of July our very own independence day

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Looks like our UK Ministers are going to stop support for shielding in England before the other countries in the UK. So no more boxes after the end of July although local councils could continue to provide, unfunded, support.

"The 2.2 million people who have been self-isolating in England during the pandemic will no longer need to shield from 1 August." is misleading, as it is not whether or not we still need to shield but that central govt support for us will stop. Originally they promised support until there was a vaccine, but that was along with Ministers and the PM promising a vaccine soon/sooner.
This is not driven by the science.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53071430

Reactions: JRT

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"
I really don't see what is going to change between now and the 6th of July.

Edit to Add
Or between 6th July and 1st of August for that matter just arbitrary as far as I can see.

Edit Edit to add should have made it 4th of July our very own independence day
Optimistically I’d say by then the effects of shops opening and quite probably social distancing reducing will be a bit more apparent and gives time for a(nother) about face if it’s not good.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
So in August..I can go to work as a midwife in a busy assessment and triage unit if that unit is covid safe!! ( no social distancing going on there )
Still makes me anxious

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've stopped taking notice of what the government is saying. I restrict my movements because others do not wear masks. It is selfish not to wear a mask. Me wearing a mask protects others more than me, I'd appreciate a reciprocal gesture but I might as well whistle in the wind.

I've been trying not to follow what's happening in the U.S. but I do feel that what is now happening there will happen here and we'll be back to square one and all because people seem to think that a lowering of deaths and new cases is a sign of the virus disappearing, well it isn't.

lindisfel

Expert
Your absolutely right, David. There are still an estimated 20,000 new cases every week in the uk. We cannot stop having a number of serious hot spots now there is this attitude "its all over". I hope track and trace works.
D.

Reactions: Buzzer81

Buzzer81

It’s startling that people’s attitudes towards wearing a mask, keeping a good distance and respecting the severity of this virus, have already fallen well below levels you’d expect. People really are stupid and selfish, but it shows the human attitude of, ‘if he’s doing it, I can do it’. We’ll be lockdown by October at this rate for the winter

Reactions: oldgreymare

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well that was quick announced yesterday letter in the post this morning.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your absolutely right, David. There are still an estimated 20,000 new cases every week in the uk. We cannot stop having a number of serious hot spots now there is this attitude "its all over". I hope track and trace works.
D.

What track & trace?