Sugar control during periods

mrssmurf2

Re: Sugae control during periods

Just saw this thread and just have to let this out.........

I HATE PERIODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phew that feels a little better. I am Type 2 and my bg goes out of control so it must be worst for type ones. The problem is I already feel rubbish when I on my period so it makes me think oh blow it let me have a bit of chocolate. Mine have got recently worse aswell as I had a small stroke a few months ago and the put me on CLopidogrel which stops your blood platelets clotting. So my period is soooooo heavy I can feel the energy drain out of me (literally).
Right sorry about that ladies just wanted to vent that one out.

Fallenstar

Hi Snodger
Before a period Progesterone rises, progesterone is a steroid hormone and acts a bit like a corticosteroid ,so it raises BG..Estrogen on the other hand aids insulin sensitivity. That is why ladies seem to need more insulin before a period then when the progesterone drops right back and estrogen comes back into play ,sensitivity comes back.
Testosterone also comes into play and if you are low on T ,then progesterone levels go "unchecked" so some ladies with low "T" get even more progesterone..and need a heck of a lot of insulin a few days before....couple this with stacking up from all the extra units and it's hypo city when the progesterone levels fall.Testosterone is very important in all this,along with the Thyroid hormones....if only it was all down to insulin eh :roll:

Snodger

ah-ha. thanks fallenstar. that would back up the idea then that it's probably better to mess with more bolus rather than basal...because the extra basal might stack up and cause problems on the first day when everything drops?

Fallenstar

Yup, I don't think I will alter my Levemir at all this time..I used to have to alter the lot with the Lantus, but I have a good feeling that the Basal now will stay pretty steady, I can tell you in about 8 days what I do on this new regime!..I only caught the tail end of my cycle on the changed insulins last time..but all seemed steadier, so I'm staying hopeful.
Before I used to have to drop both the Lantus and Apidra right back on the first day of my period and raise both before ,mainly the bolus.
I think you are right in saying to just adjust the bolus ,as I'm sure that is what I will just need to do this time on the Levemir. And hopefully as my sugars are more stable now and I don't get the lows I used to get on the Lantus and Apidra,I think I am going to run with the same dose of Basal this time and see how I go...It's all new to me again this time kid :wink: