Meter suggestion

ROE100

Hi All

I am looking for assistance in suggesting a meter which can hopefully do what I want it to do.

On one of my previous posts I advised I was not allowed a Libre however after a bit more pushing I was given one - great news - however we (libre and me) seem to not be be compatable as quite often around 20% wrong to finger test. I have been in touch with Libre and had many replacement sensors, tried all the things suggested but it has be concluded I should stop using as the readings are not accurate for me.

So before I went on the libre I had a simple One Touch Select plus (have had for quite a few years) and used mysugr to log my results - which was ok and was ok using these two things.

But after using the Libre phone app I could scan, enter my meal and units details and any notes I thought I need to write and send this information to the HCP (even though I now know these values may not have been correct)

I would like to do the same with a finger tester - where I can test, enter the details on the same machine and this can be transfered to a app so i can review (like on the libre) and then transfer the details when I need to the HCP.

Does this machine exist?

Any thoughts will be most appreciated.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does this machine exist?
I'm sure some people can answer that for you, but one thing I will say is that if you're in the UK, you would also need to persuade your doctors to prescribe the strips for it, mine will only prescribe one make of test strips unless they get a letter from the consultant saying that whatever other set of strips should be prescribed for me

Reactions: ROE100

ROE100

Thanks and yes in the UK so it seems I may have been luckly as never told no (except for a CGM - but did get the libre after 5 years of trying for a CGM). So hopeful my luck will continue.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ROE100

A libre will never be as accurate as a meter as it’s testing interstitial fluid not blood so it does lag by 20 mins - however a libre is not just a flash monitor, it’s excellent for checking ratios, basal rates when fasting, monitoring overnight levels and understanding the direction and speed at which BG levels change, as a preference I’d always opt for the libre vs a meter. I self fund the Dexcom G6 now and have done for a few years and find this to be pretty accurate except when exercising or when bg levels are moving at a faster rate.

ROE100

Thanks Juicyj

Yes fully aware it isnt a CGM and is a flash monitor and also aware of the 20 min lag and it tests interstitial fluid and larger differenece can also occur if not on a level but even when I have used the 20 min lag and also checked when on a level and not in too high and too low (as aware Libre not great in these ranges) the results are still 20% different.

It is Abbot that have advise me to stop using as they can no longer say I can rely on the readings after all their tests and suggestions they have concluded they don't want me to have an issue. Yes considered the Dexcom (just looked back at my emails first time I consider was back in 2010 - gosh time does fly), so may consider again (of course will have to self fund) but for the moment want to try a meter that has hopefully the tech I'm looking for.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A meter with Bluetooth will do what you want. Readings are sent to a phone app on which you enter other details. I use a CareSens Dual metre which can be used in this way but I don't bother. I analyse all these details in real time. :bored:

Stevec189

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BL (Before Libre) I used a One Touch Ultra and the associated One touch app and web page. This did all the things you are looking for - and you can share the app with your nearest and dearest. Doesn't have the data analysis tools that libre does obviously but you can print off results for the clinic (or take your iPAD/ tablet along whatever). Still use One Touch as my meter and get the scripts on prescription. Im sure if you contact Bayer they can fill you in on latest models etc. Good luck.

TypeZero.

Do you use Diasend? It’s an online account you set up where you can sync all your diabetes data so you and your healthcare provider can review to see if anything needs adjusting.

I use a Contour Next One meter which stores glucose readings for a specific length of time (idk how long) and every 3-4 days I sync my meter to my phone using Bluetooth which sends all the information to my Diasend using the Diasend app so you don’t need to enter anything manually.

There are also other things you can keep track of such as activity using a Fitbit app or some other app.

You may want to try the Dexcom G6 as it is known to be more accurate but still not entirely accurate. This can also be connected to Diasend.

I’m looking to combine CGM readings and insulin injections from a Dexcom G6, finger prick readings from a Contour Next One, my activity level from a Fitbit to create a comprehensive health review

aspot

I would say the Contour Next One will tick the boxes. I personally have "weakness " for AccuChek Mobile as its most convenient. If Abbot will release new version of Freestyle Optium Neo with Bluetooth and app support it would be the best...
The PC app for Optium Neo stopped working a while ago and no mobile app either, so it's a dealbreaker for me.

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@aspot I also love my Accuchek Mobile, and its the reason I got back into actually testing and taking care of myself a few years ago! @ROE100 I have a similar issue that now I have been told that I will no longer have access to the test strips (apparently they are going out of production - but I am currently in Canada so maybe you will be fine in the UK @aspot!) It has been so long since I chose a meter that I don't even know where to start really.....!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m another Accuchek Mobile fan, I’ve been using it for years. I really like the test strip cassette - individual sticks used to fall out of the holder if I was Fumble- thumb Low, and it’s so easy having the lancing device attached to the metre. OK, it’s a bit weightier and larger than some of the others, but it’s worth it.
I mainly use it to calibrate or check rate of rise/fall these days as I mainly use Libre with Libreview and a MiaoMiao that sends to a watlaa watch.
The use of a Miaomiao and the watch means I can calibrate the results from the Libre against the finger pricks. I think Libre sensors have become more accurate in the last few months so might it be worth giving it one last try?

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Before moving over to a pump and Libre I was using the Accu check Aviva Expert. You can enter your carbs, exercise etc into it and as long as your ratios are set correctly it will give you a bolus recommendation for the carbs you are going to eat. It can upload to Diasend which your HCP will be able to see as well