Confused and scared

charlottem15

Hi,

I’ve been looking through this forum for a few weeks now and have been contemplating posting anything at all as I may come across as a little mental. I’ve been experiencing a lot of the symptoms of diabetes (urinating frequently, thirsty all of the time, tingling in hands and feet, floaters in my eyes). The first three symptoms coming on suddenly and being there for the last 4 weeks.

I’m 23 years old and of a normal weight for my height. No family history of diabetes but I have been under a lot of stress/anxiety over the last 5 months due to a relationship breakdown, working during the pandemic and the actual virus itself causing worry. Plus my diet isn’t great (e.g. high in carbs/sugars). I spoke to the doctor and after some persuasion they agreed to do a blood and urine test. Everything came back in the “normal” range - including kidney function, thyroid, blood count and HB1AC = 32. Also got my eyes tested and they said the floaters aren’t worrying. However I’m still experiencing the symptoms and am going out of my mind. I suffer with health anxiety (something I am trying to get help for) and the doctors can get frustrated with me because of this. They just say that sometimes there isn’t an explanation for the symptoms and I have to accept that. They are now doing a random blood glucose test but I’m not sure what this will show?

I appreciate that no one can diagnose me but I’m extremely worried about the symptoms and feel that the doctors aren’t taking me seriously because of my weight/age/hb1ac level. I don’t know whether it would be worth me investing in a blood glucose meter for my own satisfaction/for evidence if needed for the doctors.

I also know that it could be something else other than diabetes but the symptoms all point in this direction.

I understand this post may come across as a bit much but I’m not sure where else to turn.

I mostly just need advice on whether the random blood glucose test will tell them much?

Thanks a bunch!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I’ve been looking through this forum for a few weeks now and have been contemplating posting anything at all as I may come across as a little mental. I’ve been experiencing a lot of the symptoms of diabetes (urinating frequently, thirsty all of the time, tingling in hands and feet, floaters in my eyes). The first three symptoms coming on suddenly and being there for the last 4 weeks.

I’m 23 years old and of a normal weight for my height. No family history of diabetes but I have been under a lot of stress/anxiety over the last 5 months due to a relationship breakdown, working during the pandemic and the actual virus itself causing worry. Plus my diet isn’t great (e.g. high in carbs/sugars). I spoke to the doctor and after some persuasion they agreed to do a blood and urine test. Everything came back in the “normal” range - including kidney function, thyroid, blood count and HB1AC = 32. Also got my eyes tested and they said the floaters aren’t worrying. However I’m still experiencing the symptoms and am going out of my mind. I suffer with health anxiety (something I am trying to get help for) and the doctors can get frustrated with me because of this. They just say that sometimes there isn’t an explanation for the symptoms and I have to accept that. They are now doing a random blood glucose test but I’m not sure what this will show?

I appreciate that no one can diagnose me but I’m extremely worried about the symptoms and feel that the doctors aren’t taking me seriously because of my weight/age/hb1ac level. I don’t know whether it would be worth me investing in a blood glucose meter for my own satisfaction/for evidence if needed for the doctors.

I also know that it could be something else other than diabetes but the symptoms all point in this direction.

I understand this post may come across as a bit much but I’m not sure where else to turn.

I mostly just need advice on whether the random blood glucose test will tell them much?

Thanks a bunch!
I know it may be a little controversial to tell someone with health anxiety to get themselves a meter, but I think it may give you some peace of mind to make a curve sometime. (Where you test throughout the day and log your results as well as your meals.. Test when you wake, before meals, 2 hours after the first bite, and before bed.). If there's something a little off, you can take those results to your GP, as one random test doesn't really say jack-****. With a HbA1c of 32 it shouldn't be your blood sugars, because your average is perfection, but still. Peace of mind for the cost of a meter and a bunch of strips... I think it'd be worth it to check for a day. A non-diabetic friend of mine has had floaters all his life, and to some extent, we all do. (If you look into snow you see little bits wriggling around, that's the floaters we don't usually see.) If they get big, they can be scattered with a laser, so might be worth looking into, if you can't look around them.

As for the tingling, if you're suspecting diabetic neuropathy, that's something that shows up after years of elevated blood sugars, so not likely. The odds are more likely you're vitamin B12 deficient. That'd give the same symptoms, as well as a need to frequently urinate and due to that, drink loads, fuzzy vision... Might be worth it to get yourself a bottle of Vit B complex from Holland & Barrett or something, and take that for a week or two. See whether the symptoms abate some, and spare yourself another blood draw for the time being, because with corona it's not easy to get stuff done.

If that doesn't help though, go back to your GP. If you're worried about it, and you are in discomfort, let them know and get it sorted.
Hugs,
Jo

Reactions: Buzzer81

charlottem15

I know it may be a little controversial to tell someone with health anxiety to get themselves a meter, but I think it may give you some peace of mind to make a curve sometime. (Where you test throughout the day and log your results as well as your meals.. Test when you wake, before meals, 2 hours after the first bite, and before bed.). If there's something a little off, you can take those results to your GP, as one random test doesn't really say jack-****. With a HbA1c of 32 it shouldn't be your blood sugars, because your average is perfection, but still. Peace of mind for the cost of a meter and a bunch of strips... I think it'd be worth it to check for a day. A non-diabetic friend of mine has had floaters all his life, and to some extent, we all do. (If you look into snow you see little bits wriggling around, that's the floaters we don't usually see.) If they get big, they can be scattered with a laser, so might be worth looking into, if you can't look around them.

As for the tingling, if you're suspecting diabetic neuropathy, that's something that shows up after years of elevated blood sugars, so not likely. The odds are more likely you're vitamin B12 deficient. That'd give the same symptoms, as well as a need to frequently urinate and due to that, drink loads, fuzzy vision... Might be worth it to get yourself a bottle of Vit B complex from Holland & Barrett or something, and take that for a week or two. See whether the symptoms abate some, and spare yourself another blood draw for the time being, because with corona it's not easy to get stuff done.

If that doesn't help though, go back to your GP. If you're worried about it, and you are in discomfort, let them know and get it sorted.
Hugs,
Jo

Hi Jo,

Firstly can I just say thank you so much for listening to what I’ve said and not just telling me it’s my anxiety. I’ve seen you’re very active on this forum and so really appreciate the reply.

I think I will look into getting a meter and testing. I’ve seen the TEE2+ meter and a few people recommend it so may get that. They say because I’m young and of a normal weight that it’s unlikely but from what I’ve seen on this forum that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

I’ll definitely get some of the Vitamin B12 and see if that makes any difference.

Once again thank you for your help!!

Charlotte :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The 1 thing in your post that really stands out for me is the comment about stress.

Stress raises your cortisol levels and when they are constantly high it starts to cause other problems. With all the concerns of modern life, stress management is really quite important. If you have a couple of minutes, then take a look at this page.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20046037

Since glucose levels are also raised during times of stress it 'may' go some way to explaining why you get short term symptoms of diabetes although your long term (a1c) glucose levels are good.

There are some T1's (including myself) who shun the conventional explanation for the onset of T1 diabetes and claim that stress was the initiating factor. I experienced a prolonged period of stress prior to my diagnosis. But hey, I'm no doctor so what do I know?

Take it easy, and get help with the stress if you are still experiencing it.

Reactions: Perminder1

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo,

Firstly can I just say thank you so much for listening to what I’ve said and not just telling me it’s my anxiety. I’ve seen you’re very active on this forum and so really appreciate the reply.

I think I will look into getting a meter and testing. I’ve seen the TEE2+ meter and a few people recommend it so may get that. They say because I’m young and of a normal weight that it’s unlikely but from what I’ve seen on this forum that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

I’ll definitely get some of the Vitamin B12 and see if that makes any difference.

I live with generalised and social anxiety every day. It's nice if someone actually hears you, so yeah... Of course I'll reply. ;) Hope you'll feel a bit better now, anxiety-wise. I know it helps me when I can be proactive about something and take back some control, rather than just sit and wait and be powerless to do anything. And I know forums can be a bit hit-and-miss, and there's some places with sharks out there. But if you have a question, and you're not getting what you need from your doc, find people who might know the answers. We can't diagnose, but we can maybe point you in a direction you wouldn't've thought of.

Hang in there, and always take care of you, no matter what anyone says,
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some symptoms of glucose problems at your age, but it took until I was in my mid 60s to be diagnosed.
I'd suggest that a diet lower in carbs would perhaps be a good ideal. I find I can cope with stress far more easily eating an Atkins type diet. People seem to treat me better - maybe there are subtle indications of a good diet and greater fitness (it is also associated with a more slender figure and that influences how people treat others)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as a bit much
no it isn't :) there's a lot of us about who have anxiety and get it. we worry about stuff, then we worry about the worry, then we worry the worry is masking things we should be worrying about. it's exhausting and frustrating. you sound like you're aware of the anxiety complications and dealing with them, it's not easy. I agree with Jo that a meter will help unless you also have ocd, in which case it might not (you're going to worry about that aren't you?). If it is early indications of T2 diabetes/insulin resistance then you can address it with diet. Changing diet to drop lots of carbs, processed foods, seed oils etc isn't a bad thing anyway.
Just because you're anxious doesn't mean your worries are groundless. That said first stop is to address your anxiety because then you are in a better position to deal with everything else. Really sorry to hear about your relationship breakdown and work pressures, these are very real things that require as much attention as body health but are, in my experience, harder to "fix". Can you seek out support for the anxiety, honestly no one should have to live with it and at 23 (you youthful thing you) it will transform your life if you can find (better) ways to manage it.

Reactions: tinyroman

charlottem15

no it isn't :) there's a lot of us about who have anxiety and get it. we worry about stuff, then we worry about the worry, then we worry the worry is masking things we should be worrying about. it's exhausting and frustrating. you sound like you're aware of the anxiety complications and dealing with them, it's not easy. I agree with Jo that a meter will help unless you also have ocd, in which case it might not (you're going to worry about that aren't you?). If it is early indications of T2 diabetes/insulin resistance then you can address it with diet. Changing diet to drop lots of carbs, processed foods, seed oils etc isn't a bad thing anyway.
Just because you're anxious doesn't mean your worries are groundless. That said first stop is to address your anxiety because then you are in a better position to deal with everything else. Really sorry to hear about your relationship breakdown and work pressures, these are very real things that require as much attention as body health but are, in my experience, harder to "fix". Can you seek out support for the anxiety, honestly no one should have to live with it and at 23 (you youthful thing you) it will transform your life if you can find (better) ways to manage it.

You’ve got it spot on! I have now ordered myself one so I’ll wait to see what happens when that arrives. I agree, I am usually able to manage my anxiety but with everything going on and now this I think it’s all become a bit too much. The relationship breakdown has also been due to infidelity which just adds another layer. Thank you! I hope so too

charlottem15

I had some symptoms of glucose problems at your age, but it took until I was in my mid 60s to be diagnosed.
I'd suggest that a diet lower in carbs would perhaps be a good ideal. I find I can cope with stress far more easily eating an Atkins type diet. People seem to treat me better - maybe there are subtle indications of a good diet and greater fitness (it is also associated with a more slender figure and that influences how people treat others)

I think I’m going to do the lower carb diet as you’ve said it may help with stress and just be better in the long run

charlottem15

The 1 thing in your post that really stands out for me is the comment about stress.

Stress raises your cortisol levels and when they are constantly high it starts to cause other problems. With all the concerns of modern life, stress management is really quite important. If you have a couple of minutes, then take a look at this page.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20046037

Since glucose levels are also raised during times of stress it 'may' go some way to explaining why you get short term symptoms of diabetes although your long term (a1c) glucose levels are good.

There are some T1's (including myself) who shun the conventional explanation for the onset of T1 diabetes and claim that stress was the initiating factor. I experienced a prolonged period of stress prior to my diagnosis. But hey, I'm no doctor so what do I know?

I’m not entirely sure why but I’ve tried to reply to you and it says it breaks guidelines/is spam. But yes, I think there may be a possibility of the stress adding to the problem. Thank you for the advice and website link!

Reactions: urbanracer

Dark Horse

The HbA1c indicates what your blood glucose levels have been over the last 3 months so it can be normal if someone has very recent, rapid onset of diabetes. However, a very recent, rapid onset would result in a high random blood glucose so yes, the test will be useful.

The symptoms you describe are common with anxiety so if your random blood glucose comes back normal, I would focus on self-help for your anxiety:-
https://www.mind.org.uk/information...iety-and-panic-attacks/self-care-for-anxiety/
https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm
https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-min...ZrnZ2YKhy66GfaKyzhOeaE-JqEXzb7CEaAkkZEALw_wcB

Reactions: Perminder1

Perminder1

Hugs,
Jo
Stress worry can bring on the symptoms u desctibe hand tingling pins needles etc... try not to worry and breath ask you GP to refer u for some CBT or self refer if you can it can help to talk get stuff off your chest it's free on NHS

Perminder1

Hugs,
Jo
Worth checking your B12 ask GP for a blood test

Perminder1

Hi Jo,

I started bit of yoga helps

Perminder1

Perfect ****** stress !

(Edited by a moderator to remove swearword.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Perminder1

You’ve got it spot on! I have now ordered myself one so I’ll wait to see what happens when that arrives. I agree, I am usually able to manage my anxiety but with everything going on and now this I think it’s all become a bit too much. The relationship breakdown has also been due to infidelity which just adds another layer. Thank you! I hope so too
CBT please try it...

charlottem15

The HbA1c indicates what your blood glucose levels have been over the last 3 months so it can be normal if someone has very recent, rapid onset of diabetes. However, a very recent, rapid onset would result in a high random blood glucose so yes, the test will be useful.

The symptoms you describe are common with anxiety so if your random blood glucose comes back normal, I would focus on self-help for your anxiety:-
https://www.mind.org.uk/information...iety-and-panic-attacks/self-care-for-anxiety/
https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anxiety.htm
https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-min...ZrnZ2YKhy66GfaKyzhOeaE-JqEXzb7CEaAkkZEALw_wcB

Thank you! I will wait for the test and I’m now getting therapy for my anxiety :)

charlottem15

Stress worry can bring on the symptoms u desctibe hand tingling pins needles etc... try not to worry and breath ask you GP to refer u for some CBT or self refer if you can it can help to talk get stuff off your chest it's free on NHS

Yes, I’m now getting some therapy to deal with the anxiety so hopefully it will all help