Victoza

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I’m on canaflagozin 300mg and 4 x 500mg of metformin daily. I’m T2 41yrs old diagnosed 6 years ago with a perfect weight didn’t drink or smoke and ran half marathons.

I have a new doc very clued up and I’ve asked for insulin to enable a tighter control on my BS. He agreed and gave me the choice of insulin or to try victoza. As no risk or hypos and I’m now BMI 27.5 so could lose some weight. I chose victoza. Anyone here had good results off this. I’m excited about the weight loss aspects but heard some bad side effects. Should I have gone straight for insulin. My hba1c is 61 it was 86 last year. Any advice appreciated thanks

M

Member496333

I don’t know much about Victoza but if you’re T2 then using insulin wouldn’t help you lose weight. More likely gain. On that basis you’ve probably made the right choice in opting for Victoza if weight loss is your primary concern.

Reactions: lcarter and Nicel

Twisticles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It's not necessarily a choice of either/or when it comes to insulin or incretic mimetics. I'm on Soliqua 100/50 which is combination insulin/incretin mimetic. I guess the idea is to balance the weight gain potential of insulin with the weight loss potential of incretin mimetics while increasing insulin and inhibiting glucagon - both of which reduce BG.

I'm transitioning this weekend off the Soliqua and on to Victoza only, with an added Sulphonylureas for self-produced insulin boost.
If your body is still producing enough insulin, why would you need an injection? It may be that the insulin-promoting properties of Victoza is enough.
How are you getting on after a week? Any side effects so far? I am also nervous but also glad to be off the insulin since my BG stabilised (one month ago HbA1c was 97, currently trending towards 45 but too early to test).

Reactions: Nicel

Lilylala

Hi I took victoza ( liraglutide) to reduce bs and also to reduce my weight.I am also T2 and my experience was not very good .I was on metformin 2X 500g twice a day also gliclazide 60g twice a day came off these as was constantly in the loo .So going on to my experience ...well yes it reduced my be within good range but the side effects were not nice :
constant buzzing head
Food tasted foul
urine turned dark brown
chronic kidney infection
Foul taste in mouth
low libido
yes I did lose 10 kg but I did not eat for 6 weeks hardly and ended up in hospital
After then my diabetic consultant put me on humalin m3 , feel much better but unfortunately have gained the weight back plus more.But everyone if different and it may suit you.Also if you are from the UK and getting this injection for free on the nhs this victoza is marketed at the skinny jab and cost £150 a pen for weight loss so worth a try .

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4 months in and I’m considering coming off. I can’t deal with the extreme fatigue I get. It’s making me feel so poorly. Hba1c was 44 so amazing and I’ve lost 17ib. 11ib to get to 10st my goal but the fatigue is not pleasant at all and I’m struggling so much. Had full bloods done and all clear too.

Lilylala

Hi I took victoza ( liraglutide) to reduce bs and also to reduce my weight.I am also T2 and my experience was not very good .I was on metformin 2X 500g twice a day also gliclazide 60g twice a day came off these as was constantly in the loo .So going on to my experience ...well yes it reduced my be within good range but the side effects were not nice :
constant buzzing head
Food tasted foul
urine turned dark brown
chronic kidney infection
Foul taste in mouth
low libido
yes I did lose 10 kg but I did not eat for 6 weeks hardly and ended up in hospital
After then my diabetic consultant put me on humalin m3 , feel much better but unfortunately have gained the weight back plus more.But everyone if different and it may suit you.Also if you are from the UK and getting this injection for free on the nhs this victoza is marketed at the skinny jab and cost £150 a pen for weight loss so worth a try .
I am replying to this thread with update
1/2/20 started one meal a day start weight 15 stone 4 lb today in 13 stone
Humulin m3 at start 80 units a day now only 16 units a day
wished I had done this year's ago

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am replying to this thread with update
1/2/20 started one meal a day start weight 15 stone 4 lb today in 13 stone
Humulin m3 at start 80 units a day now only 16 units a day
wished I had done this year's ago

So you stopped victoza and started humblin m3 put on weight then lost it. Sorry I’m a bit confused. I want to come off victoza I can’t deal with the fatigue

Lilylala

So you stopped victoza and started humblin m3 put on weight then lost it. Sorry I’m a bit confused. I want to come off victoza I can’t deal with the fatigue
Diagnosed April 2018 with type 2 hba1c 116
Put on 2x500 mg metformin 80 mg gliclazide weight 13 stone
Put on victoza 1.6 daily after gaining 2stone was on victoza for 6 weeks lost 1 1/2 stone but was very ill so was then put on humulin m3 70/30 insulin
What I'm getting at is I was wrongly informed by the diabetic clinic on what food to eat so that's why I started low carb one meal a day
I felt like rubbish on the victoza if you do to talk to your Dr or diabetic clinic your already injecting yourself maybe insulin is your next medications
I know I felt much better on insulin but still ate what the clinic recommended
So put the weight back on , so if you was to go into insulin I would recommend a low carb diet.I eat one meal a day a huge plate of meat salad and if I fancy a treat at the weekend chocolate cake.

Nicel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I feel like death on victoza and I can’t do low carb I tried it. I don’t like meat it’s almost impossible. I can’t stay on victoza though but love the weight loss.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I feel like death on victoza and I can’t do low carb I tried it. I don’t like meat it’s almost impossible. I can’t stay on victoza though but love the weight loss.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian , and there's a vegetarian low carb subforum here too...

You don't have to eat anything you hate eating. Just find what works for you.