Type 2 Trulicity

Suzie57

Hi
I have been a type 2 diabetic for some years now. I take Metformin and Gliclazide and was on forxiga. Recently my diabetic nurse took me off the latter and recommended Trulicity. I had my first injection of Trulicity on Saturday. I hadn't heard of this medication before. My diabetic nurse recommended trying it as I was hungry all the time even after a main meal, I was never full.
I am also struggling so much with sleep, average night is approx 3 hours and that is disturbed. Which in turn means I'm pacing the kitchen floor and eating anything in the cupboards. I have tried every herbal/ holistic treatment and every prescription sleeping tablet but unfortunately nothing works. On top of that I am going through an awful menopause!!! So not much hope for me!!!
I'm very new to these forums and not sure quite what to expect but any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. As would anyone's experience on Trulicity.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to go to bed in a minute. Statins can raise your gluvose levels. Can you tell us what ypu eat in a typical day?

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried Trulicity a few months back - I'm T2 but have been on insulin for about 14 years.
My diabetic consultant recommended it as although my blood sugars are fairly good normally, I am hoping to have a kidney transplant in the future, so he wanted me to try trulicity to lower and stabalize the blood sugars as much as possible, thinking to the future, and after the operation. I took the trulicity weekly for four weeks, and came up in an awful itchy rash, which at one stage was nearly unbearable. I stopped taking it, and it took me nearly six weeks to return to normal. I must say, that my DC said that I was the first person he had ever seen with this reaction on this drug. I was very sorry, because in that time it had stabilized my blood sugars, and my appetite had certainly decreased. I do low carb in any case, but was quite happy just to have a small snack, and one main meal a day on it, so I would think that it might be worth trying. I'm on a lot of other medication for other problems, so it may have reacted against another drug i was taking. Best of luck!

Suzie57

Thank you so much for your reply.
I haven't experienced a rash but I think the nausea and diarrhoea I have experienced is from the Trulicity. Also a lack of appetite.
I am trying to acertain whether these side effects are due to the injection or the unbearable heat!!!!!

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No, I did have nausea and a bit of diarrhoea as well, it lasted about five days, as far as I remember.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorre, posted before I'd finished! And also the lack of appetite, which I took as a plus!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A statin!!!!!!
How long have you been on the statin? When I was taking a statin my Hba1c rose from 48 to 54, I had sudden dizzy spells, my sleep was disturbed and I couldn’t function properly which was not good as I had a one hour commute each way to work. I came off them, with my GPs consent, after 6 months and it took about 4 months to return to ‘normal’. My GP has now annotated my notes as ‘statin intolerant’ as we don’t want to risk it happening again.

Suzie57

Thank you Daphne917 for your reply.
I have been on a statin for quite a while now but I didn't know they could raise your Hba1c. In December last year I went to the doctors with extreme pain and aches in my legs, it wasn't my normal doctor, this one advised coming off the statin, she thought it was that causing my pains. I was like an old woman going upstairs in the evenings! And although this site has my age down as 63 I am only 53!!! (don't know how to change my age!)
In February I went to see my normal doctor about something unrelated and she asked me to go back on the statin as she said the benefits far outweigh the risks!?!?!
I also don't sleep well, I survive on around 3 hours a night. I have a physically demanding job and as you say worry about functioning properly. At the moment I am furloughed so thought my sleeping would have got an awful lot better, how wrong was I. I have said before I have tried every herbal/ prescription drug and Bedtime routine known to human kind.
I am going through "An horrendous menopause" doctors words not mine. I am constantly hot and with hot flushes on to of that I feel as though I'm going to combust most of the time.. No one seems to know whether being diabetic is making the menopause symptoms worse or vice versa.
I have noticed also that my morning blood sugar levels are by far my highest, sometimes up to 13!! which I know is not good especially when people post on here their levels are low in the mornings. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful, seem to have hit a brick wall lately which I think is why the diabetic nurse put me on Trulicity.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Suzie57 a number of doctors recommend patients take statins however it is ultimately the patients decision as to whether or not they take statins. I made my decision following research and stopped taking them with my GPs consent however, the fact that I told him I would stop taking them anyway may have forced his hand.

Suzie57

@Suzie57 a number of doctors recommend patients take statins however it is ultimately the patients decision as to whether or not they take statins. I made my decision following research and stopped taking them with my GPs consent however, the fact that I told him I would stop taking them anyway may have forced his hand.
Perhaps I stop taking them and monitor what happens.

Reactions: Daphne917