Getting dizzy

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on low carb for a few weeks now, weight loss and low sugars... all good

however I am finding when I stand up I am occasionally getting light-headed. Today I actually fell over and whacked my face against the banister. Seem to be okay, though have a sore neck but luckily I wasn’t walking down the stairs!

I know can’t diagnose on here but are there any potential side effects of lowering carbs than might explain

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on low carb for a few weeks now, weight loss and low sugars... all good

however I am finding when I stand up I am occasionally getting light-headed. Today I actually fell over and whacked my face against the banister. Seem to be okay, though have a sore neck but luckily I wasn’t walking down the stairs!

I know can’t diagnose on here but are there any potential side effects of lowering carbs than might explain
When you switch to a low carb diet, you're cutting out a lot of processed foods like bread etc... Which contain salt. I had a normal blood pressure when I was just diagnosed. Once I went for low carb, I ended up like you, rooms going black whenever I stood up and the like, because my blood pressure got (too) low. Add some extra salt into your meals, (some even put a pinch in their coffee?), and you should be doing better soon. If you're on blood pressure medication, see whether you can cut back with your nurse or GP.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Pressed post too quickly, sorry. Cat distracted me. ;)

Hope you'll feel better soon. No questions about spousal abuse with the whacked face (bruising), and fingers crossed your neck'll recover quickly!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How is your blood pressure?
I don’t know but I think I have a blood pressure monitor so I can check. I have never had blood pressure issues in the past so not on drugs or anything for that.
I’ll certainly look at the salt as per the comments in the post. Would salted peanuts work maybe to add in as a snack?

Last edited:

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t know but I think I have a blood pressure monitor so I can check. I have never had blood pressure issues in the past so not on drugs or anything for that.
I’ll certainly look at the salt as per the comments in the post. Would salted peanuts work maybe to add in as a snack?

Definitely check your blood pressure - especially when you feel dizzy or light headed. Also check it when you don't feel that way so that you know your baseline.
Peanuts are kind of carby so it depends how low carb you are aiming for. I tend to have some salty broth when I need a bit more sodium. I am also one of the strange ones that add a pinch to my coffee - it really improves the flavor!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely check your blood pressure - especially when you feel dizzy or light headed. Also check it when you don't feel that way so that you know your baseline.
Peanuts are kind of carby so it depends how low carb you are aiming for. I tend to have some salty broth when I need a bit more sodium. I am also one of the strange ones that add a pinch to my coffee - it really improves the flavor!

I was aiming at 130g carb and now dropped to 90g but not hard and fast so not aiming at Keto levels or similar so some peanuts should be okay.

not sure what broth is, I’ll look into that. Stupid question but is drinking oxo similar?

Bodewhin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was aiming at 130g carb and now dropped to 90g but not hard and fast so not aiming at Keto levels or similar so some peanuts should be okay.

not sure what broth is, I’ll look into that. Stupid question but is drinking oxo similar?

Sorry - might be lost in translation :) I live in the Uk but not from here originally so sometimes I talk funny. Oxo as in stock cubes? yes that would work. Bone broth is also trendy but not as easy to keep on hand.

Reactions: connie104

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oxo'll do. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In addition to the bp, have you tested your blood sugars when feeling dizzy? According to your profile you're on
metformin, Bydureon and dapagliflozin. None of those are medications I know much about, but can it be you're experiencing hypo's with the low carb diet added to your medications?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood pressure recorded as 109/83
I did have a meter so can check over time

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick google shows Bydureon can cause hypo, and dizziness. Possibly the dapagliflozin too. I would keep an eye on your BG and talk to your doctor about it.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “

Same, cutting carbs, losing weight... takes time for things to normalize. I recommend not snacking on peanuts. Rather replace your electrolytes with iodized salt, water and a lemon slice. ...