What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The range of co-morbidities, actual ingredients for following LC/keto, activity levels and fbgs not to mention gender, age, height and weight is interesting. In this regard I am interested if other people use supplements or consider them important in their management of diabetes or wider health and fitness.

well as some may know, i went for B12 once i realised how serious a lack of it could be.

and for covid, i added Vit C, Vit D and Zinc..plus metformin
and a mix of Ginger tea, lemon tea all to add that 'Little bit' extra.

Not noticed much difference with the vitamins, but i guess that's to be expected
good oil/fuel keeps a car running better , it's when the oil degrades you notice the issues, type thing

the Ginger has made a difference i believe over many months since i first started drinking it.
less chesty and congested on the year before i went LC, and since LC i rarely get any issues with my asthma.

Though i do expect a few more of the coughs and sniffles as i exit hibernation.
3 months away from many germs MAY have some impact, i'll wait and see.

and both teas just added a nice change to my drinks menu.

Reactions: ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The range of co-morbidities, actual ingredients for following LC/keto, activity levels and fbgs not to mention gender, age, height and weight is interesting. In this regard I am interested if other people use supplements or consider them important in their management of diabetes or wider health and fitness.
I do use supplements and also take some lessons from Ayuveda - so a bit of pseudoscience but only the bits that seem to have been shown to work (ish).
Let me see:
Vit C daily in a fizzy tablet form 1g
Omega 3 in the form of EPA and DHA
Calcium
Vit D3
Vit B1
Magnesium

2 pints of water during the day when fasting with the following in:
1 tsp potassium chloride
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (sodium carbonate)
1/2 tsp food grade epsom salts (Magnesium sulphide)

Home made turmeric tea out of turmeric root with added ginger root and cinamon.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My digital paintings for today. Both in new apps I have not used before.
So I cannot figure out the brushstrokes yet, nor how to find them on the app screen.

I am still searching for a brushstroke like the Chinese brush with black ink, or even a digital Fude pen would work. I can find an app I like on my Android phone, but the same app is not on Apple. But the Android app on my tiny phone screen is pretty near impossible to do a chinese painting on. But I might try it sometime.

I did have an app on the iPad that did Chinese Brush painting, but it was on iOS 5, my first iPad, then I lost it.

Anyway here is my best effort with one horse from Xu Beihong. I have a series of 4 of these, postcard size, and I have had these since childhood. I always wanted to draw and paint horses as a child. I did draw every picture of Champion Wonder Horse that I could find when I was a kid! I used the Izal toilet paper we had then, so I could trace every picture of a horse I could find!. My horse here is a bit weak on the back end, there should be more power in the back end of that horse I feel.

View attachment 42344

This second digital painting, navigating the brushstrokes within the app completely and utterly eluded me. Whereas in the app I used for the horse, there was a zillion brushstroke, it was trying to work through them, and remembering where they were.
View attachment 42345

Love the experimentation @gennepher.
When my mum could no longer hold up some of the pretty big Chinese brushes that she used, she started using Ipad Brushes after seeing some of the stuff that David Hockney did with it. She thinks that the latest version might not be as good but that is only from talking to other people.
Some suggestions to look at if you have not already:
Brushes Redux
MediBang
ZenBrush2

If you have an IPad pencil then:
Procreate - paid for and you can also download another app to add more brushes to it called Brushes for Procreate
Pixelmator
Paper
Adobe Sketch
You may also already have Notes installed - worth a play with.

Note: I have no interest in any promotion or financial gain from any of these things which are in the main, quite mysterious and bamboozling to use.

Reactions: UserABC2021

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love the experimentation @gennepher.
When my mum could no longer hold up some of the pretty big Chinese brushes that she used, she started using Ipad Brushes after seeing some of the stuff that David Hockney did with it. She thinks that the latest version might not be as good but that is only from talking to other people.
Some suggestions to look at if you have not already:
Brushes Redux
MediBang
ZenBrush2

If you have an IPad pencil then:
Procreate - paid for and you can also download another app to add more brushes to it called Brushes for Procreate
Pixelmator
Paper
Adobe Sketch
You may also already have Notes installed - worth a play with.

Note: I have no interest in any promotion or financial gain from any of these things which are in the main, quite mysterious and bamboozling to use.

Thank you so much for that list of stuff @dunelm
That should keep me a happy bunny, especially on rainy days for when I cannot paint outside in my garden....

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning Covid Massive.

a beautiful day so far.

temp 36.4
FBG 6.3

two trips this am.
missus at 8;15, drop and then back for steph
and 9pm..phew
Daddy UBER now back at base & chillin...:D

:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @dunelm and @jjraak .
my supplements:
Metformin as it has been implicated in helping deal with cancer; I achieve same bg control without and have a huge stock to work through but still take 1 x 500 mg
Statin - Unwilling to gamble with cholesterol due to family history; longest survivor of heart attack took statins for 20 years; red meat and dairy in LC scares the poo out of me without these
Spinach powder on salad for carotenoids, iron and I like it
Chia seeds 2 tsps, flaxseeds 1 tsp in daily salad and inulin 4-6 tsps in morning teas for transit and cholesterol, allegedly
Natto K for K2 - Cardio vascular health allegedly and possibly COVID helpful
Ferratin - bloods indicate borderline anaemia and lowish hematocrit levels adversely affect A1c; tea, coffee and chocolate may lower iron levels
Multi vitamin allegedly specifically for LC/keto so covers B complex, D-3, zinc and more
Alcohol only really as a means of lowering bg when I want to eat food I enjoy; very wary of it these days
Apple cider vinegar 1 tblsp, evo - 3 tblsps and min 1 avocado plus huge salad (mackerel in evo) almost daily to try to shoehorn fat into my diet, I like them and avo is high in fibre allegedly
Don't judge me

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Edit: Happy to share what I consider my supplements and why I take them via PM or openly if it won't derail the thread.

Hi, I take the following

[prescribed]
Metformin SR (more to help with lung function than T2)
Symbicort & Spiriva (lung support preventative)
Bricanyl (lung support relief - rarely used)
Omeprazole (acid reflux)
Fenofexadine (allergies)

[supplements]
vit C, B12, D
Calcium-Magnesium (stops the really bad cramps I get)
Zinc

ps you can't derail something that has no rail :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Subject kids and learning.
As I am still a member of the Association of Teachers of Mathematics, I get access to their website and also email updates.

So, here are a few free and fun things, accessible to all, called “Maths Snacks Videos” to help children (and even aldults) with arithmetic and maths concepts:

https://www.atm.org.uk/Maths-Teaching-Resources/Maths-Snacks-Videos

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning...worked yesterday & didn't finish the job until 3am this morning shattered...sunny here no breeze looking forward to some rain to cool things down...will have another coffee need to collect a prescription there will have to be some kind of a nap today...so hot this morning when I finally got to bed ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...woke to a 6.5
No wonder you were shattered. You did a truly awsome amount of work yesterday - I don't know how you worked for that many hours.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wish I hadn't read that Krystyna I feel exhausted just thinking about it...well done I need some routine/organisation.
The only reason we did all that stuff was because we had an early night (9.30pm) so we were able to get up at 5am. This was after a truly lazy day yesterday, sitting in the garden reading.
My excuse for all that laziness is that my upstairs office is too warm to work in.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
help children (and even aldults) with arithmetic and maths concepts:
Wana bet! :joyful: I reckon nothing will help improve my maths, I still count dots when I have to add two or more numbers together and keep the 10s on my fingers, once I get to 1000 I've had it.

@ianpspurs I take no supplements, not convinced they help if diet and exercise is good but each to his own. One thing that I was told by my doctor is if you do take supplements do tell your doctors what they are as many can change the workings of prescribed medication, just passing that on I have no training to back my doctors advice up.

@gennepher admire your ability to try out new technology, brilliant.

Today's art is the work I have done for tonight's family challenge, Poppies. Quick watercolour which is supposed to be the hint of poppies in the crops. A wax drawing of poppies growing against the Blue Brick station wall in Rugeley. Both in total took 20 minutes, Watercolour A4 wax A3
IMG_20200626_164135_edit.jpg

IMG_20200626_164203_edit.jpg

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wana bet! :joyful: I reckon nothing will help improve my maths, I still count dots when I have to add two or more numbers together and keep the 10s on my fingers, once I get to 1000 I've had it.

@ianpspurs I take no supplements, not convinced they help if diet and exercise is good but each to his own. One thing that I was told by my doctor is if you do take supplements do tell your doctors what they are as many can change the workings of prescribed medication, just passing that on I have no training to back my doctors advice up.

Today's art is the work I have done for tonight's family challenge, Poppies. Quick watercolour which is supposed to be the hint of poppies in the crops. A wax drawing of poppies growing against the Blue Brick station wall in Rugeley. Both in total took 20 minutes, Watercolour A4 wax A3
View attachment 42358
View attachment 42357
Thanks for the information and art. I agree a well formulated diet should work but essentially eliminating one food group makes that difficult. Personally, however hard I try to configure my diet on LC, Chronometer always shows big gaps in nutrients and vitamins. Screenshot below shows some of what the app analyses. I have no idea how my new GP feels but last GP, DN and Pharmacist were ok with it all.
upload_2020-6-26_18-5-49.png

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen.
Late today, life etc.

5.8 again this morning.

I hope you all had a good day.
Back tomorrow.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

View attachment 42358
View attachment 42357
Thank you @Muddy Cyclist for the compliment.

Brilliant poppies!
I love the watercolour version. That is beautiful!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot of it is waiting then making phone calls to see why they are not ready to interview or make a decision...it's such a cumbersome system Krystyna
It does sound a cumbersome system. Waiting around can be so tiring because you can't switch off and relax..

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Edit: Happy to share what I consider my supplements and why I take them via PM or openly if it won't derail the thread.
My most important vitamin is.magnesium which I have taken for years and years.
When I was a young teenager I began to suffer from severe daytime leg cramps. My doctor prescribed tablets which tasted quite salty so I tried upping salt which definitely helped.

The cramps got worse over the years and also happened at night time so about 20:years ago I started taking magnesium which definitely did help - together with salt.

Then a few months ago the magnesium I was taking was discontinued so I tried another brand which was supposed to be very bioactive. They also suggested spreading the dose over the day to help the body absorb it more efficiently.

It was surprisingly effective - almost like a miracle drug. No more cramp and I no longer have to be so vigilant about taking salt:- although I still have to be careful that I don't drop below 5g a day.

I also noticed that I no longer crave almond butter or 100% chocolate which is really interesting.

For bone health I also take D3 and K2.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My most important vitamin is.magnesium which I have taken for years and years.
When I was a young teenager I began to suffer from severe daytime leg cramps. My doctor prescribed tablets which tasted quite salty so I tried upping salt which definitely helped.

The cramps got worse over the years and also happened at night time so about 20:years ago I started taking magnesium which definitely did help - together with salt.

Then a few months ago the magnesium I was taking was discontinued so I tried another brand which was supposed to be very bioactive. They also suggested spreading the dose over the day to help the body absorb it more efficiently.

It was surprisingly effective - almost like a miracle drug. No more cramp and I no longer have to be so vigilant about taking salt:- although I still have to be careful that I don't drop below 5g a day.

I also noticed that I no longer crave almond butter or 100% chocolate which is really interesting.

For bone health I also take D3 and K2.
Glad the cramps have cleared up and you can lower salt intake. Thanks for the information.