Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
looking for some advice please
I've been trying to get a Gp phone appointment ..been promised call back last 2 days but nothing! I dont think its deemed important for a callback
I'm T2 been on metformin for 18 months. It was increased 3 months ago to 2g with evening meal
I regularly check my blood sugars to see if it is improving but there has been no change since diagnosis and levels range from 11.7 to 20 ( never lower than 11 .7)
So my question is..should I be on different medication? Or an extra medication? I'm struggling to lose weight but I'm trying. My last hba1c was 90. What if metformin doesn't work for me!
I just want to improve things especially now with this virus around
Also take anti hypertensives thyroxine folic acid

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin won't bring your numbers down diet will. Are you eating low carb?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin won't bring your numbers down diet will. Are you eating low carb?
I see this mentioned a few times on the forums and it confuses me. I was on metformin for a long time and it did lower my blood levels and I didn’t change my diet. It’s also described as a drug to lower blood levels so why do people say it won’t?

I also wonder whether my experience with the NHS has been different to others. My levels increased to 78 and the nurse immediately added Dapagliflozin and said if there wasn’t an improvement in 4 months further action would be taken (I.e. insulin) and I would never have been allowed to stay on the high levels the poster mentioned without intervention. Is it that bad now?

I do agree about changing diet and such. I am doing that myself, I just don’t seem to have had the medical experience so many here are posting

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the information on this forum comes from personal experience and exactly the oposite of mdical advice. Getting the NHS to change is like getting a supertanker to turn on a sixpence.

Do you use a glucose meter to test your levels?

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
Most of the information on this forum comes from personal experience and exactly the oposite of mdical advice. Getting the NHS to change is like getting a supertanker to turn on a sixpence.

Yes I use a monitor

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
My meds only increased 3 months ago because I asked about it I feel forgotten about by GP

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I understand totally what you are saying. I think I have been really lucky, and not lucky too. Lucky in that there has been regular intervention and putting me into drugs that at the time were very new and probably not cheap to the NHS (exenetide) all to keep my levels low. It worked for a long time but I was holding off the inevitable and being told it was progressive etc...

So, unlucky in that I was given the wrong advice, as in no one ever talked about low carbs. But better late then never

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
I've tried to do high protein
Had bacon egg mushroom for breakfast
I did eat crisps this afternoon, ( no.point lying!)
Tuna salad
Chicken oven chips and veg for tea

I know im having too many carbs. I find it hard because I'm a fan of pasta and rice..which I've been able to have on slimming World

I'm struggling to be honest

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been trying low carb high protein
Good choice, but be aware that proteins also turn into blood glucose, but at a slower rate than carbs. Many here use LCHF diet, which uses some protein. but also uses fat as well. Fat does not convert into glucose, so helps reduce that pesky meter as well as giving satiety which helps stop the snacking.

Reactions: EllieM and ringi

Hotpepper20000

Tuna salad

I know im having too many carbs. I find it hard because I'm a fan of pasta and rice..which I've been able to have on slimming World

I would imagine that you are feeling hungry. You may need to add a bit of butter to your vegetables and cut out the potatoes. What was you BG before and after tea?

you said that you want to lose weight. I don’t think that Slimming world is doing you any favours if you are still eating pasta and potatoes on the program.
If your BG is in range it will make it easier to lose weight.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuna salad

Well done. You would only be lying to yourself so better to admit things then move on. The oven chips are the only one I would aim to cu out in future. Obviously being potato they are high carb for a strt. Oven chips such as frozen supermart ones tend to be manufactured from mashed potato extruded into chips and this increases the GI load so making the sugar response worse than home made chips with the real thing. Also beware that these frozen ones tend to be doctored by having added sugar to please the kids. It will not be shown as sugar, but will be listed as Malitol or Sorbitol or Maltose, or Dextrose. Certain supermarket brands are worse thsn others, and I find anything where the packet design has cartoon characters, or the chips have funny shapes or alphabet are the absolute worst thing on this earth for sugars.

You have had a good start, and your levels should start to drop. As regards te Metformin, the trials data showed that even at 2 g dose, the effect on bgl is only about 2 mmol/l You may need a second med to help but hopefully LC diet changes and snack reduction will make that less likely, The Metformin is mainly there to help protect your heart and arteries

Keep a daily log of meal details, and meter readings. I test just before a meal, then at 2 hrs and then again at 4 hrs to see how my body responds to the food. 2 hrs is the one to see how the carb content affected me, and the 4 hr one shows how the protein did. The other thing I did was to go to only 2 meals a day. Breakfast and evening meal. With the fat in my full English breakfsst, I do not snack in the day ,and my sugars are nicely in control. You may see OMAD mentioned which is one meal a day, but I found that too much of an imposition.

It is confusing to start off with, but the food log should allow you to identify and build up a repertoire of meals you know are good for you, and conversely those meals to be avoided or kept for special treats.

Reactions: Josie66

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Be aware that weight gain is a symptom of uncontrolled T2 diabetes (high blood sugars plus excess insulin produced by your body because insulin resistance means that you produce high quantities of it). Some people swear by cauliflower rice (I'm not a big fan) but I am a big fan of courgetti spaghetti (spiralise courgettes/zucchini and then fry for just a few minutes).

I'm going to go out there and say that your levels are too high for long term health and if diet doesn't work (folk with higher hba1c's than yours have come off medication with lchf alone) then you'll need to up the meds. There are a number of oral medications that can be taken.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
It sounds like you had good support. I feel I've just been left to get on with it and if i hadn't prompted the GP I would still be on the lower dose.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
I would imagine that you are feeling hungry. You may need to add a bit of butter to your vegetables and cut out the potatoes. What was you BG before and after tea?

you said that you want to lose weight. I don’t think that Slimming world is doing you any favours if you are still eating pasta and potatoes on the program.
If your BG is in range it will make it easier to lose weight.

Josie66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!
I go from slimming world to weight watchers .I do bits of them all. No wonder I'm confused

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go from slimming world to weight watchers .I do bits of them all. No wonder I'm confused
Keep in mind that those diets are for people with a properly working metabolism. Yours is impaired, you can't process what their target audience can. Try and forget about other diets and just focus on a single one (LCHF, Keto, Carnivore are all low carb options). No frankenstein-dieting, because that won't work and will just muddy the waters. ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see this mentioned a few times on the forums and it confuses me. I was on metformin for a long time and it did lower my blood levels and I didn’t change my diet. It’s also described as a drug to lower blood levels so why do people say it won’t?

I also wonder whether my experience with the NHS has been different to others. My levels increased to 78 and the nurse immediately added Dapagliflozin and said if there wasn’t an improvement in 4 months further action would be taken (I.e. insulin) and I would never have been allowed to stay on the high levels the poster mentioned without intervention. Is it that bad now?

I do agree about changing diet and such. I am doing that myself, I just don’t seem to have had the medical experience so many here are posting
It's a lot of hit-and-miss with medical help... Some are completely up to date and enthusiastic about helping people, quite a few are not, alas... And some just have given up on their patients because they see so very many of them, and so little improvement. Which I think is understandable... I have a lot of different conditions, and diabetes is the first one where I encountered some hopelessness or indifference from the endo, nurses etc. I had a rheumatologist cheering about a swollen pinky finger's joint once. ("Verifiable! You do have rheumatism!" Yeah... Like my body wasn't telling me that for years already....). Never had an endo cheering at me about anything. Not even getting blood sugars back down on my own, or fixing my non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I actually got told off cut cutting carbs, I should let the gliclazide do the work. Sure. So maybe you just got lucky to get someone who's actually involved in your case.! Cherish them, and put them on your Christmas card list! (It's what i do.) :)

Metformin, this is how it works: It suppresses appetite, so you eat less. (Less food, less carbs, less of a spike). That's point one. And it reduces the glucose your liver dumps by about 75%. So that is the impact it does actually have on your blood sugars. It might make you a little more sensitive to your own insulin, but might not. It doesn't, however, do anything about the carbs (and thus, glucose) you ingest. There are other medications to tackle that with. So while certain aspects of what could raise blood sugars are indeed handled by metformin, the main and biggest one, is not: The food you do ingest. So while it's not a completely useless bit of medication, it doesn't make much more of a dent for the bulk of us. Hope that explained that a bit. :)

Have a great weekend,
Jo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would ignore both SW and WW as they don't really understand diet. You need low carbs and as much fat and protein as you need to keep you feeling full. When was you last HBA1C? At your levels you should have one every 3 months. Insist the surgery do that. Metformin will do very little and there are further meds that can be added but the right diet is essential