New to all this

Hi, I have been newly diagnosed with type 2 Nd have stuck to the keto diet, with a few blips along the way just the last couple of days. I have so many questions but maybe you guys could help with just a few...
1-is it normal to be on strict keto for 4 weeks but not loose any weight?
2-I seem to have got my blood sugars down but at least once a day, at different times I seem to have a peak
3-for you lovely ladies did you find that diabetes affected your time of the month at all?
Thanks for reading
Amanda xx

Reactions: Todd1974

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1. Depends how much weight you have to lose? And when you say "strict keto" how strict are you being?
2. Does that peak happen at specific times and what kind of a peak is it?
3. Sorry can't help with that one.

I am using diet doctor for all meals, snacking on fruit and I avoid all foods unless keto recommends I check everything for carbs.
For a few days now the spike seems to be around 10.30am and goes to around 10.9 and I feel it... Desperately tired and sick
Then a few days of late afternoon peak and some of evening peaks. Normally just one of the times in the day not 2.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
snacking on fruit

Be aware that most fruit (other than berries) is pretty high in carb - an apple can be the same as a slice of bread. Are you counting the carbs in those snacks, because if not you will be much higher carb than you think.

Reactions: LaoDan

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Get a meter, test .. test before and after the fruit to see if that’s the problem

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have been newly diagnosed with type 2 Nd have stuck to the keto diet, with a few blips along the way just the last couple of days. I have so many questions but maybe you guys could help with just a few...
1-is it normal to be on strict keto for 4 weeks but not loose any weight?
2-I seem to have got my blood sugars down but at least once a day, at different times I seem to have a peak
3-for you lovely ladies did you find that diabetes affected your time of the month at all?
Thanks for reading
Amanda xx

Practically all carbs count, so it hasn't been "strict" keto. You went over your daily carb limit just with the fruit, I'm afraid. There's a lot of sugar in it, which could well explain some of your spikes. It's an easy mistake to make, you're just getting started. Live & learn. What else do you eat/drink in a day? I know I cringe when I look back on what I started this journey with... But maybe this'll help? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/
As for your other questions, that might also explain why you're not losing weight. You're probably not in ketosis. (Yet!) And some of us take a while... Especially us ladies can have a slightly harder time with it, noticing looser clothes first rather than seeing anything on the scales. It'll come though. And I use injections for supressing my cycle, so I wouldn't know. (Migraines and PCOS made my periods no fun, and the hormone shots tackled most of my issues).

Anyway, welcome, and good luck! It'll only get better from here on in!
Jo

mouseee

Only fruit which fits is a few red berries. I have put greek yogurt in a pot with a handful of frozen fruit and it's pretty good for break time eating.

I admit to an apple fairly often but apart from berries I dont want other fruits. Too high in sugar and therefore carbs.

I've lapsed in my carb management recently so I'm now feeling one apple is better for me than a few bits of chocolate that dont stop there.

Also - if you havent got a glucose monitor then definitely get one and use it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The very best plan is not to snack at all. Give your pancreas as long as rest as possible. Eating anything between meals is not a good idea. If you are genuinely hungry, a cup of tea or coffee with very little milk, or use cream instead of milk, and that should keep the hunger at bay until your next meal time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do wonder what this Keto diet is - the idea of diet treated diabetes is to reduce carbohydrate so that we go into ketosis, which our metabolisms ought to respond to with a thankful sigh and weightloss along with a return to normal levels of blood glucose.
Many people find that around 50 gm of carbs is good for them - it is a number I noticed as that is where I started off.
Apples as snacks are not usually part of the way of eating.
Personally I start the day with a meal which has about 10 gm of carbs max. then eat again in the evening. These days I have about 25 gm of carbs in the evening. I used to have a dessert of berries and cream a couple of times a week but don't seem to have bothered for a while.
I tested two hours after eating and tweaked future menus after considering the results.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I will try to stop the snacks, any Idea on how to get readings down especially whilst at work?

Hi Amanda - Well done on tackling your condition head on.

Based on the very little information you have given, I reckon your diet isn't likely to be strictly keto (by that I mean, less than 20gr carb a day), on the days you have an apple. I very rarely eat an apple, but when I do, I reckon on 20gr of carb for it.

Of course, there are variations in which apples you have and the sizes, but that would be my rule of thumb.

I have never striven for keto, but just chose to cut out the big carbs - so no bread, potatoes, pasta, sweeties. I really missed fruit too.

On that basis, I lost weight quickly, even though I didn't have masses to lose, but everyone is different. Some lose quickly; others it's more of a trickle.

In terms of snacks: I would try to get away from snacking, as really your bloods arre probably just heading down from your meal, then you boost them up again. For a great many people, their insulin resistance (meaning their intolerance for carbs) is greatest earlier in the day - meaning, for them, their loods are better in the evenings.

If you have to snack, then I'd suggest perhaps a BabyBel cheese. Pretty much zero carb, tasty and filling. If not cheese, then a few nuts could hit the spot.

The secret is testing, and having a system, so that results can be judged in context. In these early days, even if it is a real pain, I suggest a food and blood glucose diary. Record everything you eat and drink, the time you eat/drink, your blood result before an 2 hours afterwards, and any time you don't feel quite right. The not feeling quite right could be a headache, a bit fed up, or anything really.

Where the massive gain comes is you begin to properly understand what works for you. There'll be surprises; good and bad. That means, if you know you have something coming up where the best of food choices might be tricky, you can have a really "safe" meal, the mealtime before or after.

You'll get the hang of it. My advice would be that you concentrate on getting your blood numbers into a good place, and it's highly likely your waistline will trim along the way.

It's also fair to comment, weight loss is not necessarily linear. There are faster and slower weeks/months.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

mouseee

In answer to your original no. 3...
Metformin jump started periods for me again having not had any for years due to meds I was taking.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3. As your hormones settle due to low carb it’s not unusual for some changes in your cycle too. It usually settles back down ok.