Eating out - what do guys take with them?

iblamedan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mushrooms, needles and blood
I'm newly diagnosed type one and once lockdown is over I've several meals out planned as catch-ups for missed events. My wonder is what do guys take with them?

I need NovoRapid before meals but don't want to have to take a big sharps box (even the smallest are massive) do I now need a rucksack/man bag where ever I go out? And if splitting doeses I'd need multiple needles? And where do you do the injection, I'd feel really uncomfortable doing it at the table, but wouldn't feel right in the toilets?

So many questions going through my head, I don't want bail on these things, I know the food won't be a problem as there are healthy options is all of the planned locations it's just the logistics of everything really!

Petra4.4

Hi there :)
This is kind of a downside but you just need to get used to the idea of diabetrs in your life :) I strongly don't recommend going to to toilets... It's rly unsanitary. If possible I used to take my insulin in a car or in the table. I understand that the idea of it is uncomfortable but you would be surprised how quickly and almost not noticeably you can take your insulin. You just need practice or you can steo outside of the restaurant if itt would make you feel more at ease. Just set the dose at the table and administer it outside. Now I have insulin pump and my iv got stuck so I had to change it in a restaurant and did it in the table just lifted a shirt a little bit and in a few second it was done :) Nobody even noticed I was doing something.
Also on the topic of boxes for your pens. I never used the ones I was given with pens but found a suitable cosmetic bag that would fit my needs ( believe me there are many wonderful choices even for men) and nobody would question it.
Always have extra needles even extra insulin... You never know when or where you might need it.

Reactions: iblamedan

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm newly diagnosed type one and once lockdown is over I've several meals out planned as catch-ups for missed events. My wonder is what do guys take with them?

I need NovoRapid before meals but don't want to have to take a big sharps box (even the smallest are massive) do I now need a rucksack/man bag where ever I go out? And if splitting doeses I'd need multiple needles? And where do you do the injection, I'd feel really uncomfortable doing it at the table, but wouldn't feel right in the toilets?

So many questions going through my head, I don't want bail on these things, I know the food won't be a problem as there are healthy options is all of the planned locations it's just the logistics of everything really!
I'm not on insulin, but just thought you might be interested in myabetic.com . They have man-bags too, I believe, not just lady's purses. Maybe there's something suitable on there. Good luck!
Jo

Anomaly

I'm newly diagnosed as well so tske my advice with a grain of salt. I don't get out much anymore and don't go eating out right now, but bought a little pouch that I can put in my pocket. Actually I bought several pouches tryin' them out and found I like this one the best.

51LX1yuxPjL._AC_SY400_.jpg

It's a bit bigger than my cell phone, and about 50mm thick, but I can squish it to about 30mm. I bought it initially as my catch all to hold my insulin pens, few needle tips, meter, strips and a bit of candy, but found I really like the case on my Accu-check Guide Me. So I usually carry my GuideMe meter in my pocket with my cell phone and my insulin pouch in my other pocket (usually set down on a table wherever I go). I keep it simple I carry my 2 insulin pens (technically I was only prescribed a 70/30 mix, but I don't like how limited it is), 2 spare insulin pens (in case the current one malfunctions), 2 extra needle tips, 5 Jolly ranchers, and 2-3 ice packs. It all fits in my jeans pocket ok, not great, but I'm often outside for extended periods of time.

If I know I'm going to be inside in the A/C I forgo the ice packs which makes enough room in the pouch for my meter, strips, and lancer.

It's by no means perfect, but it's the best I've found so far. I have 2 smaller thinner pouches but the ice packs melt much faster in those. I'm a motorcycle rider so a few hours of riding and the inside of my saddlebags can get hot so I need the extra hour or two.

As far as injecting insulin, I'm still a bit uncomfortable injecting under the table, but i'll say that the insulin pens are far more convenient and discrete than even a prefilled syringe. I did some research on injecting through your clothing and found that medicial studies found no discernible difference when injecting through mosy clothes. Heavy jeans and thick fabrics however are the exception. It should also be noted that some fabrics can be stained by any insulin leakage your may have or the ocassional drop of blood. As someone who HATES needles, I find injecting through my clothes far more appealing. Not seeing the needle puncture my skin somehow is easier on me.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, all you really need is a wallet type thing (think the size of a mobile phone cover) which will easily fit a couple of pens in, I bought a pencil case which does the job perfectly. As for the needles, I take one of the empty pots (the ones you get the sensor strips in or similar), the size of a small cotton reel. Honestly, once you get used to it you will wonder why you ever worried. You will feel self conscious to begin with but I can guarantee in that social setting noone will even see you (discreetly if you like) inject your insulin, it takes seconds, into the belly or thigh etc, (straight through your shirt at a push although don't make that a habit). As for healthy options, well yes, the public at large should eat healthily of course BUT don't think you have to start choosing salads, as you become more experienced at gauging how much insulin you need for your meals and carb counting, you can eat what you like. The pens are so slim that you could even stick one in your pocket if you like, just as you would an actual pen. x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @iblamedan (who's Dan and what did he do?),

I keep my insulin and needles in the box that came with it, I don't like to keep my pen loose in my pocket as I'm sure I'd break it. When out and about, used needles simply go back in the box, cap on, and I get rid of them when I get home again.

I test and inject wherever I am, thankfully I don't feel the need to hide. Most times people don't even notice, sometimes I get a curious question. Injecting only needs a square inch of bared skin on my stomach or arm, or I inject through my shirt (very much not recommended!).

I never leave the house for longer than 10 minutes without meter and something to treat hypo's, if I expect to be out for an hour or more my insulin is with me as well.

So what do have on me when going out?
- phone
- wallet
- keys
- tobacco
- lighter
- meter
- insulin pen and needles in box
- something to treat a hypo

In winter this stuff fits in my pockets, in summer I need a bag. Like I did before, for the first 5 items on my list.
My friend gave me a ridiculous pink elephant shaped childrens rucksack for my diabetes stuff. I love my diabetic elephant for its ridiculousness and because everyone remembers it's mine (shabby overweight 43 year old with pink elephant :happy:) after they've seen me with it once, so pretty sure it will return to me if I ever lose it :)

Of course a somewhat more mainstream bag is perfectly fine to use too, if you don't like pink elephants ;)
Or you could start wearing one of those outdoor gilets with lots of pockets.

106095095_10221174181058460_5473915431896896607_o.jpg

79288965_10221174286901106_3119861209182243985_o.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Eating out.

Less formal than it used to be.. Though I have been known to dine out in a "Tux."

I wear cargos a lot.. Have a new needle set up on my pen. (But always carry a spare needle.)
Holidays wearing cargo like shorts it's easier jabbing under the table. (I let the table cloth take the air shot once dialled & held upright near my leg.)
You will be surprised how many people's attention is diverted with the advent of smartphones? Even on a valentines night? Never understand it. But I'm old fashioned two folk celibrating eachothers company staring silently at a personal screen.
However, this can work to your favour.. ;)
Long trousers, I just "front it" with the jabs & lift my top a little. If I am wearing a jacket? Folk may assume I'm fumbling for my wallet or phone whilst doing the deed?

Testing; I've had an Accu-Check mobile for years. It's all in one. No need to dispose of strips it's a tape cartrige with tha ribbon that rolls on after the test. All done below the table line..

These days I have a Libre Miaomiao combo. So I tend to make sure the Xdrip app is calibrated to my meter before going out & good to go..

Don't forget to carry hypo treatment just in case? You never know how long the service might take..

Of course all this stuff could ruin the line of a well cut Tux. :banghead:

Have fun!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve always been an up front type of guy so the people I would have meals with would normally know . I have injected through my trousers( not recommended but I’m a rebel too lol) after a while it becomes quite easy to lift a shirt or blouse and jab, its amazing how quick it can be done definitely under 2 seconds.
I tend to carry my pen in my trousers and carry spare needle in a pocket or can fit one in my wallet.
Bs is Libre so phone works for that, as with everything with diabetes time and experience helps wonders , and I can guarantee before very long you’ll be like a lot of us “ old timers” you won’t even think about it it will become 2 nd nature.
Stay safe take care
“ why didn’t you tell me Ben”

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I take my Bolus pen in it's NovoNordisk wallet which has a few needles. I tend to use the same needle all day unless it blunts later in the day. I will have my meter kit in another wallet. I have a packet of Dextrose in my pocket. I inject at the table and no one notices or cares. I think it's easier for men.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I inject at the table, and have done for years, even before pens were developed. I can’t bear the thought of injecting in the bacteria and general yuk of a public loo. I do warn those I’m with,and those at nearby tables, if they’re not used to me doing it, and they can look away if they don’t like needles. Moreover, it’s not always possible to calculate the carbs in a restaurant meal so I’ll sometimes ask if there’s sugar in sauces etc etc (especially if it’s a Thai restaurant), and some places have the carb content of the meals. I’ll also do a small pre-meal jab and add extra when it arrives.
I carry the pens in a frio, even in the winter, as it’s hard to know how hot an interior will be. I also take a small bag of jelly babies, decanted from the big one at home, my Accuchek-check Mobile, phone (which has the LibreView App on it), and try to make sure every battery’s sufficiently topped up to last the outing.
I do like the look of the Lenke.
All the above was pre-Covid19. We’ve not been out since the beginning of March. But we have eaten a cake made by our daughter which she brought with her for a socially distanced visit.

iblamedan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @iblamedan (who's Dan and what did he do?),

I keep my insulin and needles in the box that came with it, I don't like to keep my pen loose in my pocket as I'm sure I'd break it. When out and about, used needles simply go back in the box, cap on, and I get rid of them when I get home again.

I test and inject wherever I am, thankfully I don't feel the need to hide. Most times people don't even notice, sometimes I get a curious question. Injecting only needs a square inch of bared skin on my stomach or arm, or I inject through my shirt (very much not recommended!).

I never leave the house for longer than 10 minutes without meter and something to treat hypo's, if I expect to be out for an hour or more my insulin is with me as well.

So what do have on me when going out?
- phone
- wallet
- keys
- tobacco
- lighter
- meter
- insulin pen and needles in box
- something to treat a hypo

In winter this stuff fits in my pockets, in summer I need a bag. Like I did before, for the first 5 items on my list.
My friend gave me a ridiculous pink elephant shaped childrens rucksack for my diabetes stuff. I love my diabetic elephant for its ridiculousness and because everyone remembers it's mine (shabby overweight 43 year old with pink elephant :happy:) after they've seen me with it once, so pretty sure it will return to me if I ever lose it :)

Of course a somewhat more mainstream bag is perfectly fine to use too, if you don't like pink elephants ;)
Or you could start wearing one of those outdoor gilets with lots of pockets.

106095095_10221174181058460_5473915431896896607_o.jpg

79288965_10221174286901106_3119861209182243985_o.jpg

I'm definitely going to have to be on the look out for a pink sparkly bag now!

iblamedan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone, been really useful reading through all your comments :)

Reactions: KK123