To Weetabix or not to Weetabix, that is the question?!

inwales

PatrickSutton said:
BG about 2 hours after breakfast this morning, no cycling, was 5.7.

Amazing how it works for you. I have some Oatibix in the cupboard, not had since diagnosed. Must have a test now!!!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
sugarless sue said:
Well done Patrick ,I wish I could tolerate that, I miss weetabix! :(

Me too
cry.gif

Giraffe

I love weetabix! I have two for breakfast sometimes, but always have to exercise afterwards, take the dogs out or something. I find if I have somehting less substantial I just snack later anyway.

No sugar though and full fat milk.

Greek yoghurt, banana and honey is a good brekkie as well, I find. But you have to do a walk afterwards, even for 10/15 mins. If you just sit around, your sugars spike. Well, mine do.

Dobbs

Having also learned the hard way about cereal, I tend to have two breakfasts now which I alternate - one is berries with natural yoghurt (going through a gooseberry craze at the moment), possibly followed or preceded by a bit of Brie, and the other is the traditional Irish fry on which I was raised - sausage, bacon, fried tomato and mushrooms, with a dash of HP sauce but sadly without potato bread or soda bread now however :cry: . I like both a lot. I've discovered one odd German sesame bread (dark) of which I can occasionally manage one slice (with peanut butter) - that seems to be OK. I miss cereal less than I thought I would.

nemoclown

5 hours later your blood should be back to possibly around the same as before you ate or lower but is 8.7 really that bad; especially someone who is dependant on insulin? But to be more accurate I think you should check 2 hrs after you eat. So it's more clear if it is that your BG is hard to lower or it rises very high after 2 hrs of eating weetabix.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I have found it best not to think about all the things I love but can’t handle any more :( and have tried to turn my thoughts to all the special treats I now have the perfect excuse to give myself! :D

jopar

I'm not a T2 so won't make a comment on whether to eat weetibix or not as such..

But I will give a obversation which might be usefull..

I have weetibx for breakfast most mornings with full fat milk..

To maintain my blood glucose levels and prevent a spike, I have the advantage of using an insulin pump, so I use an mutliwave bolus, I use 7.6u of insulin I set the bolus to deliver 4.7u in one hit, then the remaining insulin is delivered over 1 1/2 hour period this for me keeps things even. If I delivered my insulin in one shot before I ate, it would cause a hypo followed by a high,

You can see that without insulin that the weetibx would hit the system pretty quick to a certain extent, but also continual to raise the blood glucose for a while after, or should I say in my case as it can differ from individual to individual..

babynoelle

I know this is over 2 years later but I just went throught this same thing this morning. I love Weetabix and it went from 100's (5.5 mmol/l upwards) all the way up to 440 (24.4 mmol/l) this morning ... well checked after an hour and a half but after anything should not be that high!!! I putin Lactose free milk and NO SUGAR with the 4 pieces of weetabix... cause I was hungry and I about went into shock after reading the Blood sugar results. I hate this disease and don't want to go on insulin because going low would be horrifying too!! Wow I did not know Weetabix does this and I LOVE this cereal. I have to back off on carbs all together I guess!! :( :( :oops: :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi.
Welcome to the Forum. Yep........it is from 2008 but stiil relevant to you. :)

Firstly you mention 4 Weetabix........that's a heck of a lot of Carbs at one sitting ? :eek:

Weetabix 68.4g carbs per 100g
2 Weetabix is 37.5g therefore you ate at least 51.3g carbs........more than I eat in a day. :shock:

You mention your Bg levels, we don't use mg/dl here in the UK so I have had to convert them by dividing by 18 to give us the UK mmol/l numbers. Helps us poor Brit's to understand better so can you convert the numbers please or post both at the same time. Saves us having to edit all your posts. :)

100 mg/dl = 5.5 mmol/l.
440 mg/dl = 24.4 mmol/l.

As you say cut back on the carbs.......

Lactose Free Milk has 2.6g - 5g carbs per 100 mil so that needs to be added too !

I wonder what your readings were later as the Weetabix could have a greater rise for a few hours after you ate. Slow acting carbs.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
As my eyes are so blurred as I write this and it is 2 hours after eating an average helping of Wheat Biscuits (Australian and identical to Wheatabix and Wheat-bix) I checked my sugars and found that I had hit 14.4 !!! So I checked the Nutrition Information and found as follows:- Av serving 2 biscuits Carbs 26.6gm - Av Quantity per 100gms 66.4gm - BOTH dry. Av with semi-skimmed milk (0.5 cup 125ml) 26.9gm. SUGAR in the order as given = 0.9gm ; 2.8gm ; 7.2gm.

For the whole of my life (except during the War when only porridge was available) I have had the above wheat products.

Tell me please what to do - is porridge ok? One poster mentioned scrambled egg on toast but the bread would raise my sugars. Anybody have knowledge whether Korean pears (round not the heart-shaped found in the UK) but not sweet are suitable for us? I remember some years ago a poster telling us that an apple would send his blood sky rocketing.

Also I found the poster who said that vegetables raised his bs disturbing because I recently stopped eating potatoes and replaced them with larger helpings of mixed vegetables (frozen) and boiled chicken thighs with legs attached.

Any advice would be gratefully received - no berries or other exotic foods please - this is Indonesia.

En1apcw

Hi, 1st post here. Read to end, it may be useful. Been feeling ill, very fatigued for 5 years now. All fasting BG tests at the GP have been normal range.
Started getting tingling fingers and toes recently and always wake up feeling ok, but always terrible after breakfast.

My BG before breakfast is 5.5-6.0.
Had 4x weetabix with sugar free almond milk warmed in microwave this morning and started feeling terrible almost straight away. Tested BG after 30 minutes and it was 10.1 and then after an hour it had fallen to 8.7.

Chicken toasted sandwiches increase BG from 5.5 to 8.7 within 30 minutes.

So I think Im prediabetic. Was 85kg a few months ago and am uncontrollably losing weight since starting to eat more which is odd.... now 77kg.

I'm wondering why my BG rises so quickly when other peoples does not. And thinking like I tend to think, carbohydrates are broken down into sugars by what??... Is it the acids in our stomach, or the bacteria in our stomachs that can survive the acidic environment?

If it is the acid in the stomach then does taking antacids with carb rich food help slow down the release of sugar and so limit the max BG reading??

If its the bacteria breaking down the carbs into sugar then lemon juice or cinnamon seem from my reading to be good things to take to subdue those types of bacteria from doing their thing....

Only other thing I know about cinnamon is there are 2 kinds. The most commonly available kind is highly poisonous so cannot be taken in even small doses too frequently.... And the other kind, called something mike Ceylon is less poisonous so can be eaten much more frewuently without ill effect..... But it would be interesting to know whether both the types of cinnamon are equally as good at subduing stomach bacteria, or whether its only the more poisonous kind which is effective. Does anyone know?? From memory the poisonous cinnamon can cause liver failure so its good to know which cinnamon you're using

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
@En1apcw Welcome, you would be better off starting your own new thread. This is a very old thread and will get less viewing than starting a new one.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, 1st post here. Read to end, it may be useful. Been feeling ill, very fatigued for 5 years now. All fasting BG tests at the GP have been normal range.
Started getting tingling fingers and toes recently and always wake up feeling ok, but always terrible after breakfast.

My BG before breakfast is 5.5-6.0.
Had 4x weetabix with sugar free almond milk warmed in microwave this morning and started feeling terrible almost straight away. Tested BG after 30 minutes and it was 10.1 and then after an hour it had fallen to 8.7.

Chicken toasted sandwiches increase BG from 5.5 to 8.7 within 30 minutes.

So I think Im prediabetic. Was 85kg a few months ago and am uncontrollably losing weight since starting to eat more which is odd.... now 77kg.

I'm wondering why my BG rises so quickly when other peoples does not. And thinking like I tend to think, carbohydrates are broken down into sugars by what??... Is it the acids in our stomach, or the bacteria in our stomachs that can survive the acidic environment?

If it is the acid in the stomach then does taking antacids with carb rich food help slow down the release of sugar and so limit the max BG reading??

If its the bacteria breaking down the carbs into sugar then lemon juice or cinnamon seem from my reading to be good things to take to subdue those types of bacteria from doing their thing....

Only other thing I know about cinnamon is there are 2 kinds. The most commonly available kind is highly poisonous so cannot be taken in even small doses too frequently.... And the other kind, called something mike Ceylon is less poisonous so can be eaten much more frewuently without ill effect..... But it would be interesting to know whether both the types of cinnamon are equally as good at subduing stomach bacteria, or whether its only the more poisonous kind which is effective. Does anyone know?? From memory the poisonous cinnamon can cause liver failure so its good to know which cinnamon you're using
Gut bacteria are the good guys, no worries there. And your body is supposed to turn carbs into glucose once ingested. That's how we're built, it's a normal bodily function. It's what happens beyond that, that goes awry for a T2 or a T1, when we can't process it back out again. If you're worried about your levels, go to a doc. We can't diagnose on here, and you'll want to ask for a HbA1c, and since you're losing weight, also ask for a C-peptide and GAD test.

Don't put it off.
Jo

PS: This might help a little: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html
PPS: You answered a post that's several years old, only people who check "recent posts" might see it. Still. Go to a GP and start there.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have two Weetabix for supper and use 2.5u Humalog for them, but if I have 3 for brekkers then I only use 0.5u less than for the standard breakfast porridge.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Have to say Weetabix affects my blood sugar , it sends them sky rocketing upwards, I’ve checked the carb content on them and have bolused for them but still whoosh , it’s one of those “ magic “ things I call them that just happen .so now I just avoid the “ magic” orange juice is another one for me .

Reactions: porl69

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2 diet controlled and sometimes have 5 Weetabix minis with peanut butter as a snack :hungry::hungry:. BS only rises by 1.5 overall.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have not eaten Weetabix in quite a while a pity as I always liked them I may in the near future just try one and see if they still pump up the volume blood sugar wise.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not eaten Weetabix in quite a while a pity as I always liked them I may in the near future just try one and see if they still pump up the volume blood sugar wise.
The Weetabix Minis have 1.6g carbs each. I bought them in an effort to wean my OH off of Cornflakes and Rice Crispies but it didn’t work so I thought I’d try them as a snack.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Banana Weetabix are sooooo good. Do not seem to cause me a spike after bolusing for them either, which is a winner

Reactions: Daphne917 and kev-w