Baked beans/carb counting

Babsi

I've read baked beans are a slower acting carb so I'm confused on how to count them as I eat the low sugar kind which still count as 20 for half a large tin.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read baked beans are a slower acting carb so I'm confused on how to count them as I eat the low sugar kind which still count as 20 for half a large tin.

Hi there, how to count them for what, do you mean in relation to a low carb diet? The low sugar kind have about 10 carbs less than the normal kind I think but what really matters is how many carbs do you wish to consume? I find the so called slower acting bit doesn't make much difference to me other than my glucose levels would take longer to spike, ie 2 hours instead of 1. Have you tested them yet and are you on medication at all? x

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Babsi ,
Do you count them as part of your diet or to base your insulin dosing on? You don't say what type of diabetes you have.

Babsi

I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 and just learning about carb counting my food. I had beans and 2 slice of multi grain toast today, which equated to 63 carbs, I'm doing a 1-15 ratio which meant I took 4 units of NOVORAPID and my bloods rose up to 13.4.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 and just learning about carb counting my food. I had beans and 2 slice of multi grain toast today, which equated to 63 carbs, I'm doing a 1-15 ratio which meant I took 4 units of NOVORAPID and my bloods rose up to 13.4.

Hi,

Don't panic, it don't always do like it says on the tin.. (Legally, the nutritional value has to be reasonably correct?)

What where your BGs prior to eating & the bolus..? Was the "13.4" around 2 hours later?

Reactions: EllieM

Babsi

Hiya, my bloods were 7.1 before eating and it was about 2 hours afterwards when I noticed they were at 13.4. my dietitian thinks I'm in the honeymoon phase at present as my insulin doses hav been reduced due to constant low blood sugars

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hiya, my bloods were 7.1 before eating and it was about 2 hours afterwards when I noticed they were at 13.4. my dietitian thinks I'm in the honeymoon phase at present as my insulin doses hav been reduced due to constant low blood sugars
On DAFNE we learn that injected insulin is a fixed curve that doesn't match the rate of absorption of the carbohydrates you eat. Your blood sugars should return to roughly where they started five hours after injecting and eating. Measuring your blood sugars 2 hours after eating is for non-insulin dependant diabetics or normal people. Do you know what your blood sugars were 5 hours after eating?